20 years old, newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes... anyone else out there?

leah_jj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I am 20 years old, 5ft 4 and weighing 13st 8lbs (190lbs). I know my BMI is obese and I have recently lost 2 stone (previous weight 16st 8lbs) this was prior to being diagnosed with type 2. My HBA1C was 99 (meant to be 48). I have been searching online for people who are my age with type 2 and have found it isnt common as most people diagnosed with type 2 are late 30s-40s.

Just wondering who else is young diagnosed with type 2, I also have PCOS and was wondering is it true that if you develop type 2 at a young age it gets worse?

I am desperate for more information on other peoples experience with type 2 and some advice! maybe connecting with someone via email or facebook?

thank you :)

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I am 20 years old, 5ft 4 and weighing 13st 8lbs (190lbs). I know my BMI is obese and I have recently lost 2 stone (previous weight 16st 8lbs) this was prior to being diagnosed with type 2. My HBA1C was 99 (meant to be 48). I have been searching online for people who are my age with type 2 and have found it isnt common as most people diagnosed with type 2 are late 30s-40s.

Just wondering who else is young diagnosed with type 2, I also have PCOS and was wondering is it true that if you develop type 2 at a young age it gets worse?

I am desperate for more information on other peoples experience with type 2 and some advice! maybe connecting with someone via email or facebook?

thank you :)

Hi there,
Sorry you've had the news of a T2 diagnosis. Just to reassure you, diabetes is a condition that with a concerted effort is completely manageable. The fact that you are young doesn't mean that the diabetes gets worse at all. Follow the advice given by the well managed folk on this forum and there is no reason why you should end up with health complications at all. It's all about maintaining blood glucose levels within the normal range. You can do that through making some changes to your lifestyle - adjusting your diet and getting active.
Stay positive, learn all that you can and take positive action and you'll have a bright future ahead of you.:)

Reactions: 2 people

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Just like Bebo321 says. Follow the yellow brick road. It's all here in this forum. Good advice from those who are in the same boat as you and me.
Start a new diet. Maybe Low carb. and get active. Really active. Brisk walks if possible. Start them short and as you get more used to them, increase the distance. You don't need to go to a gym to walk. It's all free.
It worked for me and I am a bit long in the tooth as you can see. (They are still all mine).
I actualy feel better since diagnosis having lost nearly 3 Stone since last Oct.
Come on in. The water aint cold.:D

Thanks for the great advice and I am going to be following the yellow brick road with you! By the way my dog name is to to. And he is right behind me too...

Attachments

• 1469485385357.jpg
    1469485385357.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 446

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
was wondering is it true that if you develop type 2 at a young age it gets worse?

It would get worse at any age if we allow our insulin and glucose level to remain elevated. Fortunately many of us found that there are many effective medication free ways to normalize both.