23 month old with type 1

devera67

hi my name is devera my son was not well and i took him to the doctors who said that he had a cold his feet fingers and hands were blue wee ing a lot and drinking alot lost 3 pound in weight in 2 weeks was given medicine he took it 3 times and on the sturday morning we heard him being sick we went in ti him and was being sick and not moving took him the walk in center and with in 10 mins of getting there we were put into a amubulance and takin to hospital and with in half hour my son then aged 20 months had blood test done in every part of his little body all i could do was cry we stayed in there for 5 days we where told that when he had chicken pox 2 weks before he was ill this left him with type 1 i felt like my son has died and i have been left with this 23 month old little boy who cant play and eat out with out feeling ill . but now its been 2 months and i feel so lucky that he is here he is so brave and so clever has any one els ever felt like this xxxx

C

catherinecherub

Hi,
I am bumping your post up so that parents of children with diabetes will see it.
You will get support from other parents here who know exactly how you feel.
Take care.

dot

Hi devera and welcome to the forum. There are lots of parent on here in similar situations to yours and I am sure they will be more than willing to share their experiences and advice with you.

I know how you feel! My son was diagnosed about three years ago (although a lot older than your son) when he was 11. I wouldn't go quite so far as to say I felt like he had died, but I was was very concerned over what the future would hold for him. As time has gone on, we have adjusted and got used to his diabetes till we are now at the stage where manageing it on a day to day basis is just part of our routine, like remembering to make the school lunch boxes or cleaning your teeth.

His diabetes doesn't stop him from doing anything - and he lives life to the full.

Things are going to be harder for you than for me as your son is so much younger and will need much closer monitoring and you'll have to do all his testing and injecting for a good while - but it will get easier. One plus point is that your son will grow up accepting his diabetes as normal - he will not remember anything different. He will just see it as normal.

You've got a long road ahead of you, but it is not as difficult as you might think and it is easier than some I could think of.

All the best,
Dot

alliebee

I cant imagine how you feel at the moment, but all I can say is that you have come to the right place.
There are lots of experienced members here who will be able to help and support you.

Welcome.
Alison xxxx :D

kingo

devera67 said:
hi my name is devera my son was not well and i took him to the doctors who said that he had a cold his feet fingers and hands were blue wee ing a lot and drinking alot lost 3 pound in weight in 2 weeks was given medicine he took it 3 times and on the sturday morning we heard him being sick we went in ti him and was being sick and not moving took him the walk in center and with in 10 mins of getting there we were put into a amubulance and takin to hospital and with in half hour my son then aged 20 months had blood test done in every part of his little body all i could do was cry we stayed in there for 5 days we where told that when he had chicken pox 2 weks before he was ill this left him with type 1 i felt like my son has died and i have been left with this 23 month old little boy who cant play and eat out with out feeling ill . but now its been 2 months and i feel so lucky that he is here he is so brave and so clever has any one els ever felt like this xxxx

Hi Devera

our son was the same at 22 months old, took him to the GP, his nan even ask could it be diabetes as it runs in my side of the family (I;m T2) GP reply was don't talk silly babies don't get diabetes :***: :shock:

in the end took him to the A&E told the nurse and she said "he's got diabetes" that was 10 years ago he is the same as any 10 year running around :D

its a long road but you will get there,

as for the GP he can't do enought now, ever time we phone up about our son we get the best teatment :lol:

kingo

forgot to say by the time he was four he was checking his own blood :shock:

by 5/5 he was injecting himself

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
My son was 8 months old when dx'd and turned 5 last December. He can eat anything and do anything he is capable. Sometimes it takes a bit of planning to get through the day. I did used to check his blood sugar once or twice a night but now I only check him at 10pm before I go to bed unless I have some reason to check him in the wee hours of the morning. The initial shock of dx is awful and I must admit to having a bit of a breakdown in the hospital. I try to do all the finger pricks and injections like it is just a normal part of his day. He doesn't get particular praise and he doesn't get coddled. My son certainly doesn't remember a time that he didn't get a finger prick before ate and actually associates the finger prick with meals. Anyway, glad to read that you have discovered life goes on and it isn't so bad ... just relentless. :D

smaragdi

Hi devera67.
My daugther was diagnosed when she was 21 months old. Now she three and half years old. I won't say it's easy but it gets easier by the time.The good thing about having diabetes so young is that you grow up with it and usually get along with it. We tried not to change the way we lived, we never behavied as if she were ill,she does what other children do,and she is doing fine.She is happy and seems not to have problem.She wears a pump and that helps a lot to have a more flexible routine.Things will be ok and you're gonna watch your child growing up.Be strong and possitive.