Dawn of the intermittent faster!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not wishing to derail but is anyone else surprised by this?

Ted Naiman endorsing a snack bar 'made' by Walter Longo specially formulated to eat while fasting?

Why not just fast? I don't get it.

Yikes. Isn't that an oxymoron? I'm still of the belief that snacking of any sort is detrimental to my efforts to improve insulin sensitivity - even though I fall victim at times - but I wouldn't touch anybody's snack bar with a bargepole when I am fasting.

Happy to discuss Guzzler, I'm all over any fasting discussion :)

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure where to post this, but for continuity I'll post here.

I've been slipping back into old habits bit by bit, then this past week I've been completely in denial again. I wont detail what I ate for fear of looking like I'm pleased with myself, but I made no attempt to stop myself overeating and eating all the wrong things.

I'm back up to 269lbs now, which isn't so bad but needs to stop and go back down if I'm not to lose the progress I've made so far, towards better health.

My blood sugars have been fairly good, I only tested fasting and an occasional one to check how high it was going, but I didn't catch anything over 8 mmol. Fasting has been under 7 mmol.

I think the steadier blood sugars despite terrible diet could be down to a combination of recent fasting and of course medication (metformin and trulicity). I do firmly believe the intermittent and occasional extended fasting has increased my insulin sensitivity a bit, and improved general health a lot.

Even though at times I feel back to being helpless in the face of this eating disorder or addiction or whatever it is, there is that bright hope now that fasting can help me, even if I can't ultimately change my habits altogether - maybe it can be a mitigating factor that literally helps to "stop the rot", or at least slow it down.

I think i have to accept that I'm not able to transform myself into a healthy person in one go as others (most admirably) have. For me it's going to be battle after battle, knowing I wont ultimately win the war but keeping enemy forces at bay as long as I can.

Negatives at the moment - I'm still a hopelessly sugar addicted overeater. I still sink into despair and self destructive idleness sometimes.

Positives - I have made some changes that have improved my health, and intermittent fasting is something I can do long term that will continue to help me be healthier and feel much better.

I think I've posted this in the right place after all. Fasting has changed my life, maybe it's not a radical transformation and maybe I'll never be very successful at low carbing, but I'll keep fighting and keep fasting, and keep coming back here.

Reactions: Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting has changed my life, maybe it's not a radical transformation and maybe I'll never be very successful at low carbing, but I'll keep fighting and keep fasting, and keep coming back here.
It doesn't have to be radical but it does have to be sustainable which you seem to have seen.
The addiction problems I had to just overcome completely with no cheats or substitutes because they set off all the old problems again. I have faith that you can overcome these.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It doesn't have to be radical but it does have to be sustainable which you seem to have seen.
The addiction problems I had to just overcome completely with no cheats or substitutes because they set off all the old problems again. I have faith that you can overcome these.

You're such an inspiration, and I really would love to be like you! I honestly don't think I can do it though. I'll keep trying of course but feel that I need to be honest and post about the struggle.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey jpscloud I am fighting the same battle as you are and also falling off the waggon all the time , at least you do the fasting regularly ...
I just had the thought that you might be helped by sucralose sugar, if you make a lot of treats with that instead of sugar ... at least that doesn’t spike blood glucose and it tastes just like sugar

Reactions: jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey jpscloud I am fighting the same battle as you are and also falling off the waggon all the time , at least you do the fasting regularly ...
I just had the thought that you might be helped by sucralose sugar, if you make a lot of treats with that instead of sugar ... at least that doesn’t spike blood glucose and it tastes just like sugar

Hi Freema thanks, I do use sweeteners but seem to be unable to conquer the addiction to certain foods. I'm going to continue using fasting, as that's the only thing I think might bring about better health in the long run - I'm hoping it will stop me regaining weight, at least.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Freema thanks, I do use sweeteners but seem to be unable to conquer the addiction to certain foods. I'm going to continue using fasting, as that's the only thing I think might bring about better health in the long run - I'm hoping it will stop me regaining weight, at least.
Have you thought about a month of pure carnivore combined with fasting.. or eggs and bacon .. something where you don't have to think about food as you know exactly what you'll be having every day and when. Clear the house of everything else. I know it sounds easy for me to say but I have been there , for me bread and bready type things are a huge trigger for overeating. Even when I, rarely, buy them for guests I can feel the urges building so we send guests away with any leftovers. I simply can't have it in the house.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried as hard as I can - I can do a day or two, even a week once, but collapse at weekends and holidays, and just can't help myself. It's a thing I'll keep trying to do, but as I say, I need to post about the struggle or I'll feel a bit fraudulent!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jpscloud hugs on way to you it’s tough when you have a habit of eating a particular way during holidays and weekends I find those times the hardest to stick to because the rest of family is celebrating too and certain foods and drinks seem to come with the celebratory territory so can understand it’s difficult. Like @bulkbiker i try and send any carbs leftovers away with any visitors!
Hoping you can dust yourself down and get back with it - it’s great that you’ve done so well and had benefits from previous fasting even now and hope you’re able to get back into a more controlled way of eating now hols are finished - good luck and hugs.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too struggle and often fail. My husband eats all the things I can't and leaves part eaten bars of chocolate etc on the coffee table. It is torture watching him eating all the things I crave every day.

I don't have the weight problem, weigh a miserable (skinny) 7 stones but my glucose levels are only OK if I eat nothing but non starchy veg, meat, fish and cheese; not a great cheese eater. I only eat (big) breakfast and lunch most days and my glucose is still higher than I would like and I never see one in the 5s. I need to do some fast days but when I had my recent hip replacement I went down to six and a half stones so I can't afford to fast for more than the very occasional day.

When I come on here I feel guilty for falling off the wagon so perhaps I need to come on here more often!!!!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too struggle and often fail. My husband eats all the things I can't and leaves part eaten bars of chocolate etc on the coffee table. It is torture watching him eating all the things I crave every day.

I don't have the weight problem, weigh a miserable (skinny) 7 stones but my glucose levels are only OK if I eat nothing but non starchy veg, meat, fish and cheese; not a great cheese eater. I only eat (big) breakfast and lunch most days and my glucose is still higher than I would like and I never see one in the 5s. I need to do some fast days but when I had my recent hip replacement I went down to six and a half stones so I can't afford to fast for more than the very occasional day.

When I come on here I feel guilty for falling off the wagon so perhaps I need to come on here more often!!!!

I stayed away all week, which says denial all over it! I will do my utmost to keep coming back. When I went into denial completely it was for nearly four years just after diagnosis. I did so much harm in that time, so I feel very motivated to come back quickly now - just hope I don't annoy people with talking about falling down, but it does help to be open about it.

Reactions: Arab Horse

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The sweetners are, perhaps, part of the problem. They contribute to the continuing cycle of craving sweet foods.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/artificial-sweeteners-and-weight-gain#metabolic-health

I think you are well on the way to solving your difficulties by coming here and telling of them. Well done.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Pipp it really does help to discuss it. I did avoid sweeteners of any kind at first but still had lapses - I seem to be incorrigible.

For some reason I can't get past the cravings at certain times, although reading and posting here helps a lot to stay on track, and fasting seems to reset my appetite a bit so the impact of lapses is less.

I'm fasting today on just lemon and ginger tea because I forgot to bring the tub of cream to work for my coffee! I am feeling great, it's so lucky for me that fasting at work is easy.

I'll have one meal (dinner) today and maybe do that for a few days. I'll try a two or three day fast either later this week or next week.