24hr rule

Blondie153

Read on one if the other forums the other day about the 24 hr rule for hypos ie don't treat a high after a hypo for 24 hrs or something along those lines. Does this apply to the pump as we were told by dsn that you do what the pump tells you. Anybody any experience of this and do you just over ride it!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: 24hr rule

If I have had a hypo and then gone to 8~9 before my next meal then I would not correct and change on monitor for pump. On my monitor it states how much extra insulin it wil give you to correct so I take it off. If it was my reading before bed and id had a hypo between evening meal and bed I would not correct. Any higher than 9 I would give a cautious correction, eg if I was 11 I would need an extra unit to get to 6, but if Id had a recent hypo I would only correct with 0.5 unit, as to get to 8, then i would have room for my liver to refuel and bring me a few mmol less without another hypo.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Re: 24hr rule

I just correct to what machine tells me... Even if I've had a hypo.

I test my correction factors regularly so have confidence that they are set correct. Very rarely go to more than 7.... Unless like today I shot up to 14 from 6.8.. Did correction then the machine alarmed for occlusion!!!

I count my 7 dolly mixtures if between 3-4 or under 3 would take 10. So hypos tend to get me back around 6ish level. Only time is if I wake up hypo.. My subconscience tells me to stuff the dollys, no matter what my level. Then I can go high... But fortunately night hypos are rare now...