27 weeks pregnant and worried about sugars

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How high do sugars have to be to have serious effects on baby??? My fasting in the morning is still in the 6's and that means after breakfast, they are in the 10-11 range. But by the end of the day, i'm having hypos. Been told to reduce my morning slow release insulin but still getting hypos. So worried about baby :( x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried injecting about 30 minutes before you're breakfast? X

mickellwife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told to do it 15 mins before. I didnt know i could do it half hour before. I may try that. Im taking 60 units of Levemir at bedtime so i thought my fasting would be normal in the morning x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was having spikes after meals and a few of the ladies on here advised me to try injecting earlier to prevent the spike in bg and it worked a treat for me :) X

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
People who are cruel to people or animals.
Hi, I am no expert, but what I can say is that I had loads of hypos when I was pregnant with my 3rd child, as I was so petrified of highs that I often over compensated. My baby was delivered safe & sound even though I had been admitted unconscious with bm of 1. something & they had to chase it up & down to stabilise it for 10 days. Speak to the experts & others on the site that have more knowledge, but I guess I am trying to say, I know its hard, but try not to worry. You can only do your best xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How high do sugars have to be to have serious effects on baby??? My fasting in the morning is still in the 6's and that means after breakfast, they are in the 10-11 range. But by the end of the day, i'm having hypos. Been told to reduce my morning slow release insulin but still getting hypos. So worried about baby :( x

Don't worry. It's impossible to have perfect numbers all the time. I had spikes, particularly in the second half of pregnancy. Just test, react (ie correct them) and move on. My consultant told me short-lived highs wouldn't do damage and just to get them back down. My baby was fine :)

Injecting more in advance will help. By the end of pregnancy, I had to inject approximately 45 mins in advance for breakfast. Move your injection forward gradually until you find the best time to have it.

I'm on a pump so I can't suggest anything about your basal insulin, but do ask your team for more options if you're not happy with their suggestions.