2nd check-up - all levels have gone up!

andyrobo

Been to see Diabetic Nurse (Who is lovely but not much use) and all my levels have gone up:

HBa1C from 5.8 to 6.9

Cholesterol from 4.6 to 5.8

HDL from 1.3 to 1.5

LDL from 2.2 to 3.6

Triglyceride from 2.5 to 1.5

Weight gone up 3kg

waist up 6cm

I didn't change anything between thw two appointments, as basically eat well - mostly home-cooked meals, no salt added, no sugar added, basic healthy food.

Having read around on these forums I feel that low carb is the way to go, but not sure where to start. Can anyone point me towards a thread or weblink that they found useful?

Need to up the exercise (well try to do more than I am now!) - waiting for referral to local Council facility, but not sure when I can go.

Need to lose 2 stones - but have been trying to diet for years, literally - only ever seem to lose and gain the same half stone!

Something needs to change as they are threatening medications next time I go - around Christmas"!

thanks
Andrea

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Andrea,

If you're reay to try a low carb diet, I'm certain you'll find a rapid improvement in those numbers (HDL and trigs are headed in the right direction, though!)
Get yourself a copy of Dr Richard Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and Dr Charles Clark's 'The Diabetes Revolution'. Both will convince you of the logic of a low carb diet, and give you lots of recipes while you're at it.
All the best,

fergus

andyrobo

Thanks Fergus and Eddie

I have ordered those two books - hope they come soon!

I could see that look in the nurse's eyes - yeah yeah - you must be eating too much thats why you are overweight and can't manage to lose weight and reduce the levels. I am not stupid, but remembered when i was pregnant and testing daily, that pasta and potatoes did not agree with my blood sugar levels - i am sure I know more than the nurse having been through the insulin thing previously!

So I will continue to not go to the dietician and go for the low carb option. I will now need to buy some more testing strips (and prob a new monitor as I cant seem to get strips for the one I have - Ebay here I come!). Will report back on levels - jsut need to find food / regine that I can sustain long term.

Thanks again!

Andrea

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm with the guys on the Bernstein book. I have it and use it . I also have "The Diet Deception" by Gary Taubes. It explains a load of suff and has nearly 100 pages of references. It's brilliant!