CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help to clarify this. I'm 3 months into radically lowering my carb intake, although I have not gone on an Atkins style diet ... so, my fats have not really increased but I'm obviously eating enough calories because my weight is fairly stable at
8 stones 13Llbs ( I've lost about 6Llbs but I had a fairly good diet before I began ) I have not been technical really about the low carbing apart from drastically reducing my intake of rice/potatoes and bread and all carbohydrate foods apart from the slower release , lower GI ones. Pasta has not passed my lips since June. So I would say, I eat less than 100g of carbs per day.

1. Is this classed as low carbing???

2. I have been feeling throaty for weeks. In my memory, I recall reading about some sort of reaction to low carbing. Could my constantly sore throat/tonsils be related to this??

Any ideas gratefully received. :wave:

Oh, I am type 2. Just exercise and diet control.x

Mushroom

Hi, I am new to all this, too. I have a lot of weight to lose so I went for no obvious carbs (eg potatoes, pasta etc). Don't know about the throat thing but definition of low carbing on this website is: 'moderate' is 130 - 225g, 'low' is under 130g and 'very low' carb is under 30g. So 100g would make you 'low'.
Hope this helps, Mary

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, CathyN

The 'Atkins flu' I think you might have heard about happens in the first couple of weeks of Atkins Induction (25g carb per day), so it won't be that.

If it's diet-related at all, it may be that you're not getting all your nutrient requirements, but if you're eating lots of fresh veg and some fruit, as well as dairy (if you can) and protein, you should be okay.

I've been a little throaty and pre-coldish for a couple of months now, and I put it down to a very mild hayfever/asthma reaction. I'm finding some weird things affect me as I get older - I can't have hyacinths or daffs or lilies in the house, scented candles give me a sore throat, and I think I've just developed a slight allergy to lime pollen :shock: Also the Buddleia isn't helping, at the moment. So it could be anything.

It's worth checking with your doctor, particularly if your chest feels a little wheezy - happens to me at night. You don't have to have a history of hay fever or asthma - my brother developed it at 60, very mildly - Adult Onset Asthma :roll:

Viv 8)

PS You sound to be eating many fewer carbs than the "recommended" intake, which can only be good for your BGs. Do you test? I'd call you "controlled carb" - it's a term that goes down better with many of the medical profession, too :wink:

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Cathy, do you get any other symptoms, itchy dry skin, exhaustion, put on weight easily, dry, split finger nails, hair loss, etc. If so, it might be worth getting your thyroid checked.

I have got thousands of antibodies that are attacking mine. I always know that its flaring up again because I get an uncomfortable throat - not exactly sore, but just not right, don't want to talk, feels burning, often need to drink something cold to sooth it. When this happens my TSH goes through the roof. I had been asking for the doctors to look into it for years, and always got the answer that I was 'within normal limits'. Well, normal limits for one person is not the normal limit for another. If your TSH is on the high side of normal you made just need a very low dose of thyroxine. Read up a bit on thyroid and see if it fits.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Thanks so much for the helpful replies. I think I probably just have a little viral thing that I'm finding hard to shake off .... have just had a very hectic time at work etc. But thanks for the help regarding my carb intake - and the advice, which I'll be putting into practice today when I go to diabetic clinic, about saying I'm "controlled carb" rather than 'low carb" !!

Halfpint, the thyroid info is very helpful. I will look into it, although I don't have any other symptoms except the weird throat, which I think is more like tonsils than throat.

Thanks again!!

have a good day :wave:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Let us know how you get on at the clinic. :D

Viv 8)