1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

3 times a day

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Hilary52, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Hilary52

Hilary52 · Well-Known Member

Hi I am a T1 and have injections of novorapid 3 times a day before meals and balance with carbs.

Can I have a meal - say lunch with no carbs and no injection ? Maybe a salad?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

p

Sadly this isn't a yes or no answer - sorry! It depends on your own body's reaction.

Personally I can do this, but I have to watch as if I'm at work the mental stimulation can give me a drop in BG as I've not had much in the way of carb.

I'm in the honeymoon and the carb content in vegetables doesn't affect me, I can eat salad with not problems. Same with a lentil based soups (no potatoes)

It's a bit trial and error to be honest!

3. SophiaW

SophiaW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Hilary, do you carb count or do you inject a set number of units for each of your 3 meals? If you're carb counting and you eat a meal with no/low carbs then you'll find that you need very little or no insulin anyway based on the number of carbs in your meal.

Your basal insulin, stress, activity and other factors can influence your BG readings even if you're not eating any carbs at lunchtime - this could mean that you need to inject some insulin, or you need to eat some carbs. In theory basal insulin should keep your BG stable throughout the day even if you're not eating any carbs, but in reality with all sorts of influences like stress and activity it doesn't always work that way! Injected basal doesn't always keep BG rock steady and there can be some slight rises and falls during a 24hour period. Using a pump means you can fine tune basal settings to accommodate this but injected basal is a little more restrictive. Some people may find their BG rises slightly and others may find a slight fall in their BG at lunchtime and during the afternoon. You'd need to test to see how your readings are doing on a no or low carb lunch - you may need to have a small amount of carb to compensate for a fall in your readings, or you may need a very small injection of Novorapid to compensate for a small rise in your readings even although you've not eaten any carbs.

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I would certainly give it a try, you may/may-not need insulin to cover the food, the only way of knowing is by testing your bg postprandial.

Good luck!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook