3 year old daughter - low bg undiagnosed

theresen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I've just joined this forum looking for a little advice.. My daughter is 3yrs, 9mths and over the last 12 months we've had 3 episodes of low blood sugar, 2 of which we've ended up at the childrens hospital. She's had lots of tests done to find a cause for these episodes, small stature and recurrent skin infections.

After the last hospital visit in August, we were given a diagnosis of ketotic hypoglycaemia and have been given an emergency regime of Vitaflo. Currently we're waiting for a referral to the Gastro team as all previous tests and bg monitoring in hospital aren't being considered diabetic related... I'm not so sure...

I think this is linked to her not eating enough the night before because the symptoms usually present the next morning as feeling sick, pale particularly lips and then she is sick at which point I've measured her bg around 2.6 (have dropped as low as 1.6 previously). Once her bg reaches back to 4-5 she's fine.

My question is what should normal bg levels be for a 3-4 year old?
Also, the pattern of events leading up to an episode seem to be more predictable now - however she's a so & so to get her to eat when she's busy (like most 3 year olds!); I think her diet the night before needs to include carbs... has anyone got any suggestions on the best carbs to get her to eat the night before to avoid the eposides..?

Thanks in advance
Therese