3 years of diabetes and HbA1C Results saying non diabetic

chbilal

Hello,

My age = 29
Parents: Diabetic
Father = Type1 Diabetic
Mother = Type2 Diabetic

And My diabetes diagnose at 2010. Then my diabetes was 350 mg/dl. Doctor give me Amaryl (Glimepiride) 4 mg 1 tablet daily. Within two days it was 200 mg/dl. Then I contact Doctor again and he low down the medicine Amaryl (Glimepiride) 2 mg 1 tab daily before breakfast. Now it is almost 3 years. My last reading was 2 hours after lunch 245 mg/dl 3 days before. Today I first time take some tests including HbA1C.

And my HbA1C = 5.9% I cannot understand it. It is saying that I am no diabetic. I have also other tests like LIPID PROFILE (TRIG, CHOL, LDL, HDL, VLDL) and they are also fine. Before these tests(I have not consult these test to my Doctor now) I consult doctor 1 day before and he advised me to start "Metformin 500 mg" 1 tablet daily after Dinner.

Currently I don't know that what type of my Diabetes is ? 1 or 2. My doctor says me that there is no test to diagnose types of diabetes and he says that my diabetes is type 2.

Please help me that what are my reports saying and what is my doctor advising. I cannot understand.

Thank You

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: 3 years of diabetes and HbA1C Results saying non diabeti

Ideally diabetes is asymptomatic if treated I.e. since you are taking medication the HbA1c is useless for diagnosing it (you'd have to take an oral glucose tolerance test where they record your blood sugar after having a set amount of carbs).

Your post-meal BG (245 mg/dl) is high (normal target is <140), so diet and or medication could be better. This reading alone would be enough to diagnose you with diabetes.

Your HbA1c (5.9%) is good which means that your diabetes is well controlled; combined with the above I'd guess that your BG levels are OK except for brief higher-than-ideal post-meal spikes.

As for type, it's usual to assume type 2 unless if the patient is a child or obviously in DKA; they are started on T2 medication and monitored to see if it is working (by HbA1c - yours is very good) and more drugs are added as necessary. Your doctor is INCORECT in saying that there are no test (e.g. GAD antibody test and given your family history it might be worth investigating if this is T2 or possibly a slow onset T1

chbilal

Re: 3 years of diabetes and HbA1C Results saying non diabeti

Hi AlexMBrennan,

Thank you for your helpful info.

Bilal