30+ Cans of cola a day

SAH154

I saw an episode of the US version of freaky eaters last night and the young lady drank 30+ cans of cola a day and they tested her blood sugar which was 6.3 and said she was pre-diabetic. They also said she had high levels of insulin

Now unless that was a true fasting BG then 6.3 is IMO in normal range especially for all that sugar a day
30 cans of cola = 30 X 35g of carbs = 1050g of carbs that's some serious amounts of sugar, I'd say her pancreas is working fine any thoughts or is it just TV scare tactics

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
SAH154 said:
I saw an episode of the US version of freaky eaters last night and the young lady drank 30+ cans of cola a day and they tested her blood sugar which was 6.3 and said she was pre-diabetic. They also said she had high levels of insulin

Now unless that was a true fasting BG then 6.3 is IMO in normal range especially for all that sugar a day
30 cans of cola = 30 X 35g of carbs = 1050g of carbs that's some serious amounts of sugar, I'd say her pancreas is working fine any thoughts or is it just TV scare tactics

That makes me feel truly ill :sick: I don't know how a body can cope with a extremly high percentage of the same junk foods. I may have 1 sugar free can a year and that would be in the summer time, ice cold on a very hot day. What's itis really doing to her teeth, her body fat, her intestines etc ? just awful :(

RRB

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
SAH154 said:
I saw an episode of the US version of freaky eaters last night and the young lady drank 30+ cans of cola a day

LOL, the only reason I can imagaine for drinking that amount of cola is if the local water supply has been poisoned.

AMBrennan

they tested her blood sugar which was 6.3
If it's a US show then blood sugar would be measured in mg/dl and be in the 100s so that is more likely to be Hba1c measured in %

especially for all that sugar a day
If you have pre-diabetic-range blood sugar as a result of drinking 30 cans of coke per day then you still have pre-diabetic-range blood sugar and should be diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

John506

30 cans a day that's ridiculous, clearly has no sense at all, it would be well cheaper to buy it in 2l bottles!!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How on earth could anyone get through that much of any liquid? Where would you get the time? I impress myself if I manage 2 litres of water a day :smile:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scardoc

Thundercat said:
How on earth could anyone get through that much of any liquid? Where would you get the time? I impress myself if I manage 2 litres of water a day :smile:

Good point, lets assume you get 6hrs sleep (possibly less given all that sugar!!) that leaves 18hrs awake. That's 1,080 mins which would mean a can is drunk every 36 mins! Assuming it takes 8 secs a swig (just tested with my water) and say 20ml a swig then you will spend 132 secs actually, physically drinking. That's 2.2mins per can and thus 66mins a day! A whole hour drinking.

Now the fun starts, I think you must have to pee every hour minimum taking on board that much liquid. We don't know how far the person is from the toilet (or if they wear a nappy!) so just guess at takes 3mins to pee, 17 times a day, that's 51 mins. The cola has now consumed a shade under 2hrs of their waking day!! 11.1% of their waking day gone.

Me, back in the days when I could drink the odd can of coke, I loved it cold. So, do they have to walk to the fridge for each can or have they thought of that already? If not, and lets assume the fridge is a 1 minute round trip that's another half hour!!

Of course, this person, whilst exuding either stupidity or addiction, could in fact be very clever. They could have taken the following measures to save time:
1. Wear a nappy.
2. Wear a hat with two cans attached with straws.
3. Have a fridge beside them at all times.

The mind boggles.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Haha, that's pretty impressive. It would take me a month to get through all that, I can barely cope with a glass of diet pepsi because it bloats my stomach and makes me feel so full.
Must be like a conveyor belt...drink...pee...drink...pee...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
John506 said:
30 cans a day that's ridiculous, clearly has no sense at all, it would be well cheaper to buy it in 2l bottles!!

:lol: :lol:

Tumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
My other half told me the other day, not sure if it is true, that if you were to eat the solid equivalent of sugar from coke which works out at 39g, you would be violently sick but coca cola put something (phosphoric acid, I think he said) to combat it!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Above all else my stomach would be in turmoil drinking that much fizzy pop, I can hardly drink one can (sugar free of course)let alone 30 :shock:

SAH154

AMBrennan said:
they tested her blood sugar which was 6.3
If it's a US show then blood sugar would be measured in mg/dl and be in the 100s so that is more likely to be Hba1c measured in %

especially for all that sugar a day
If you have pre-diabetic-range blood sugar as a result of drinking 30 cans of coke per day then you still have pre-diabetic-range blood sugar and should be diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

It was 113 so I worked that out to be 6.3 in old money

If it's not a fasting one then 6.3 is meaningless in the grand scheme of things as they said she had loads of insulin in her blood - just TV show hype, plus the paradox of her diet is too much insulin = lower blood sugar(sugar crash) + glucagon + elevated sugar + more cola = get the drift

If it was 6.3 fasting then yes that's pre diabetes/borderline

SAH154

Thundercat said:

Yes that's 30 x 355 ml = 10.6 litres wonder she doesn't wet the bed

I'm supposed to drink 3 litres of fluid a day and TBH that's a struggle some days and it means I have to get up a few times in the night