36 years with diabetes

lauralou!

As a virgin chat-room veiwer, I'd just like to write a bit about me, I have read a fair few of the messages people have writen in to these chat rooms, many of them I can relate too, and some I haven't a clue. I must be a dinosaur. New medical terms are just that.

I'd just like to say that I've lived with diabetes ALL my life. Yes I am only 36, 37 in April. But I have had the burden of diabetes since June 1973. When I was only 14 months old. My mum learned to inject me by using glass syringes stainless steel needles and surgical spirit, these are very medieval by the standards of equipment we have today. She practiced injections on an orange, as this is a close likeness to real skin, as a mother of 3, this sounds appauling. She then had to boil said equipment for ages so it was sterile to use on me again and again and again. The needles were like drain pipes not like the hair thin things we have today. I didn't go to a diabetic clinic like you do today. No I went to an ordinary paediatric clinic where I was with kids who had all kinds of problems from small rashes to kids with downs and cancer. And to a child with diabetes who had know idea what that was going to do to her in the future, was quite daunting.

Anyway why I came on here to start with...... LANTUS, is it just me, or does this wonder drug make you FAT?.......

As I said, I've had this burden for 36 years nearly in that time I've had hundreds of different insulins different doses and different equipment. It will make you laugh, my first blood monitor was the size of my printer and now you can put them in your pocket!

Lantus however, over the last 18 months has been the bane of my life. Put on it in May 2007 at 9st 3lbs. By today I am 11st 7lbs. I have gone from 8/10 dress size to 12/14. I have 3 kids and even when I was full term with all of them I only went to a size 14!!!!!!

I have not changed my diet in any way. As my mum went by the dieticians guide to the letter. So I have never eaten badly. However sometimes I cheat but thats ok. But the Lantus has piled on the pounds and I have aches and pains where I shouldn't have. Floaters in front of my eyes. and bad skin rashes on my face and neck.

Has anyone had similar reactions as I have? please let me know or make comment.

KimSuzanne

Your not alone in having problems with Lantus I've got some awful side effects and am currently arguing with my diabetic clinic to change it - although my GP agrees with me. I too was quite a good weight when I started Lantus and have put on a stone which I cannot seem to lose! There are others on the forum who have experienced problems with Lantus but also there are those who have experienced no side effects at all - its seems to be very individual with this insulin!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My T1 husband is on Glargine( Lantus) and has piled on weight. Even with lowish carbs, he can't lose it. He'seveloping Arthritis of the hips and at 17 1/2 stone, that will only get worse. I keep telling him that he should ask to change.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
as with anything, none of us are alike, since on lantus i have lost 5 stone 4, im hoping i dont lose much more, of course i needed to lose the weight ...so for me lantus definately didnt put me weight on :)

lauralou!

KimSuzanne said:
Your not alone in having problems with Lantus I've got some awful side effects and am currently arguing with my diabetic clinic to change it - although my GP agrees with me. I too was quite a good weight when I started Lantus and have put on a stone which I cannot seem to lose! There are others on the forum who have experienced problems with Lantus but also there are those who have experienced no side effects at all - its seems to be very individual with this insulin!

hi KimSuzanne. I haven't yet confronted my consultant with my weight gain. But I will. What other side efects have you suffered.

At the moment I am having early morning hypo's. Really bad Hypo's That I find really hard to get out of. I have scared my partner and my 13 year old half to death with them. I am unable the control my limbs. Pin wheeling uncontrollably. Not able to speak. And not able to walk. LIKE A STROKE. its awful. I am also not sleeping well. Waking any time between 2am and 5am. Not being able to get back to sleep. But my blood sugar is ok!!

lauralou!

hanadr said:
My T1 husband is on Glargine( Lantus) and has piled on weight. Even with lowish carbs, he can't lose it. He'seveloping Arthritis of the hips and at 17 1/2 stone, that will only get worse. I keep telling him that he should ask to change.

Hi not heard of Glargine but I take it that it is a derivative of Lantus. I to have been told that I have oesteo arthritis in my knees(well wear and tear). Adding an extra 2 stone to my weight wont help that either. But my worst side effect is bad hypo's. These are awful. I have scared my partner and my 13 year old half to death. They start with stroke like symptoms. I can't control my limbs. They pin wheel uncontrolably. I can't speak properly. Stand or walk. I hanen't yet confronted my consiltant. But I will. Tell your hubby to go for it, I am.!!!!!!

lauralou!

totsy said:
as with anything, none of us are alike, since on lantus i have lost 5 stone 4, im hoping i dont lose much more, of course i needed to lose the weight ...so for me lantus definately didnt put me weight on :)

Hi Totsy. LUCKY YOU!!!! And I mean that. I wish I could loose the weight that I have put on. Have you had any of the other said side effects??? At the moment my worst side effect are early morning Hypo's that I can't seam to get out of. I have scared my partner and my 13 year old son. NOT good. My limbs pin wheel uncontrolably, I can't walk or stand. Not good.

FUSILIER

REading about Lantus etc, I dont know what it is or what it is supposed to do
I also suffer from very bad pains in legs, I have fallen over a couple of times, Doc has suggested it might be a bad hip joint and has prescribed so many tablets to ease the pain I will rattle if pain doesd not go away.Does anyone eklse suffer with pains

Krysie

Hi,

I've had diabetes since I was 3 (I'm 20 now), and I got put onto Lantus when I was about 12. I've used it every day since then and it only seems to have gotten better for me, I've never had any problems like you're describing.

Maybe it's a side effect; I've never had any problems

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
33 years with diabetes

"COR" I thought I must have written this (But not the Babys) as I am Male?
Don't feel very well at the moment?
I was on Levemir which is the same as your's A ROSE BY ANOTHER NAME!!! WRONG
A. it puts on weight? (did me)
B. it CAN make you very ill? (did me)
C. it is Human Insulin Mucked about with?
ie: GM we try not eat the FOOD so why must we INJECT the stuff?

As a "FACT" a good Chemist said:
"You should NOT use New ANALOGUE Insulins after using ANIMAL INSULINS???? "
I can agree with this after being very very Ill because of Analogues LEVEMIR & NOVORAPID
It seems its OK for new Diabetics "BUT" not Old-uns like us?
Another "FACT" they seem to also mess with ACTRAPID? don't know why?
I am back on BOVINE and seem to be a bit better?

Hope this Helps I'ts NOT all us!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
i did have lots of night time hypos most under 2mmol and felt lousy and tired, i too thought lantus but since losing the weight and therefore not needing as much insulin,those have luckily gone :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have persuaded my husband to reduce his carbs and his insulin, since when we've not had hypos to cope with. We did have a few before. One where he fell onto the bedroom vanity unit and demolished it and the neighbouring ironing board.One where I stopped him going headfirst down the stairs, looking for the lucozade. ( he won't take aglucotab! and although I'd given him the lucozade bottle to take up earlier that day, he had left it in the kitchen) and one where he fell into the bath tub and got stuck. I had a dreadful job getting him out.

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had type 1 diabetes since 1968 and, like Lauralou, can remember glass syringes and re-usable needles which had to be sharpened regularly. I began with pork Monotard and later switched to pork Mixtard 30/70. At one point I tried human Monotard with the development of unheralded hypos. I quickly reverted to pork Mixtard.
Just over 2 years ago, I changed to Lantus (insulin Glargine) as a basal bolus once a day, with Humalog (insulin Lispro) before meals. I have found this regime much more flexible, it makes eating out easier and I am having no more hypos than when on Mixtard. My weight has increased by about 4lbs, which can be explained by reduced physical activity since I retired.
I have no regrets about making the change.

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
Hi everyone.It will be 39 years in april when i was diagnosed with diabetes.I remember people calling it sugar diabetes in 1970 anyway when i got diagnosed.Lots of us remeber the big glass syringes giant thick needles and surgical spirits.Even the diet was really strict.I remember my poor mum weighing my carbohydrate foods out and panicking if she thought it was a wrong amount.My legs were all sore and lumpy because i was injecting wrongly.We never got to practise on an orange we just had to get on with it in them days.When i got taken into the local hospital i was put in a big long ward i was the youngest there.All around me there were people with all different medical problems.I was really scared as i was only 17 never been in hospital before and people were dying around me.It took 2 weeks for the doctor to stabalise me.I only had to do 1 injection a day (after having loads to get stabalised).I went back to work (only just started work before i got diagnosed because id not long left school)ive been on loads of different types of insulins and now on novorapid and lantus.I kept getting pains in my legs,knees,heels etc which ive never had in my life.Went for xrays which were all clear.i too was wondering if it is the lantus?I have now lowered my novorapid to between 4 and 6 depending on how much carbs im having cut down on carbs not too low though.I only have a scraping of butter on my bread and cut out a lot of fatty foods but still eat loads and am made up because i weight 9 stone 10 now and i am 5ft 5ins tall.I was always slim and then started putting loads of weight on which i blames on certain insulins or if i was having loads of hypos and having to eat more.Now i have cut out all my snacks and just have my 3 meals a day and sometimes a light supper.I am still going to see if i can change from lantus to see if it helps reduce my pains.

dotsmary

HI folks,
I was diagnosed diabetic in June 1962.,47 very long years ago. I too had the experience of glass syringes, stainless steel needles, surgical spirits and all the sterilising that went with it.
In my Diabetes Clinic last year I spoke to a visiting Consultant - our usual chap had just retired - about problems associated with having diabetes for so long and he said "being prone to hypos" was a big one. So perhaps those people of long duration should be aware of this and reduce their dosages accordingly. I would be interested to hear of any other specific problems one should look our for.

infidel

hi, just thought id ask as im about to start a statin anyone post here with pains and aches, that maybe on a statin treatment, thanks

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi, I've been type-1 almost 20 years, and after a 4 years of hell on Lantus, I changed to Pork insulin. I suffered joint pains, severe exhaustion, anxiety, and countless other side-effects while on Lantus. It didn't control my blood sugars either although I thought it did at first. I was yo-yo-ing all over the place, and my consultant even told me it was ok for my BS to rise to 15 every day-that's the state of diabetes care in this country now! The proof of the pudding, to quote the old cliche, is in the eating. If you change to real insulin ie; purified animal insuin, and have improved control and your side-effects disappear, as mine did- then you know what the cause it.
It is worth remembering that there is no evidence that these new "analogue insulins" are any more effective in diabetes control or management than animal insulin. Yet they are pushed at us left, right and centre. People might think it's great having the flexibility, but I still have that, and the best control I've never had in nearly 20 years on synthetic insulin. Pork insulin is the closest to natural human insulin, and it should be being offered as a treatment option to newly diagnosed patients-IT IS NOT, why??
Why also are doctors reluctant to change patients' insulin when they are having problems?
If a doc thinks your HBA1c is acceptable then he says you're ok- but a good HBA1c result can be achieved despite huge daily fluctuations in blood sugar-how reliable is this test? It also provides another reason for your doc to ignore your concerns, maybe I've hit the nail on the head.
Totsy, I remember you having big probs that you thought were related to Lantus last summer, surprised to read your recent posts.
For anyone having probs on any synthetic insulin it's wll worth you contacting the IDDT- a great source of HONEST information.
Jus

DLT

Hi I am new to this forum lark. I have been diabetic for 27yrs since the age of 10. i to can remember using glass syringes and sterilising but only for a few months. I have been on lantus for several yrs now but the last three months i have had a few BAD hypos including one that needed the attention of a paramedic. I suspect there must be a study somewhere into this. Perhaps someone out there has a link or something. ps my weight has crept up over the last couple of yrs as well but i put that down to sdeting working conditions and laziness. :wink:

lauralou!

janabelle said:
Hi, I've been type-1 almost 20 years, and after a 4 years of hell on Lantus, I changed to Pork insulin. I suffered joint pains, severe exhaustion, anxiety, and countless other side-effects while on Lantus. It didn't control my blood sugars either although I thought it did at first. I was yo-yo-ing all over the place, and my consultant even told me it was ok for my BS to rise to 15 every day-that's the state of diabetes care in this country now! The proof of the pudding, to quote the old cliche, is in the eating. If you change to real insulin ie; purified animal insuin, and have improved control and your side-effects disappear, as mine did- then you know what the cause it. Lantus is poison, and should be taken off the market in my view. After 4 years on the stuff, and the misery it caused me, I now worry about the long-term effects.
It is worth remembering that there is no evidence that these new "analogue insulins" are any more effective in diabetes control or management than animal insulin. Yet they are pushed at us left, right and centre. People might think it's great having the flexibility, but I still have that, and the best control I've never had in nearly 20 years on synthetic insulin. Pork insulin is the closest to natural human insulin, and it should be being offered as a treatment option to newly diagnosed patients-IT IS NOT, why??
Why also are doctors reluctant to change patients' insulin when they are having problems?
If a doc thinks your HBA1c is acceptable then he says you're ok- but a good HBA1c result can be achieved despite huge daily fluctuations in blood sugar-how reliable is this test? It also provides another reason for your doc to ignore your concerns, maybe I've hit the nail on the head.
Totsy, I remember you having big probs that you thought were related to Lantus last summer, surprised to read your recent posts.
For anyone having probs on any synthetic insulin it's wll worth you contacting the IDDT- a great source of HONEST information.
Jus

Thank you. I will contact you again. x

lauralou!

lauralou! said:
janabelle said:
Hi, I've been type-1 almost 20 years, and after a 4 years of hell on Lantus, I changed to Pork insulin. I suffered joint pains, severe exhaustion, anxiety, and countless other side-effects while on Lantus. It didn't control my blood sugars either although I thought it did at first. I was yo-yo-ing all over the place, and my consultant even told me it was ok for my BS to rise to 15 every day-that's the state of diabetes care in this country now! The proof of the pudding, to quote the old cliche, is in the eating. If you change to real insulin ie; purified animal insuin, and have improved control and your side-effects disappear, as mine did- then you know what the cause it. Lantus is poison, and should be taken off the market in my view. After 4 years on the stuff, and the misery it caused me, I now worry about the long-term effects.

Thank You I Agree. THERE MUST BE SOMEYHING US OLD INSULIN USERS CAN DO!!!!!!!