4.0 a bit too low?

A

Anonymous

Hi :) I am 20 and my diabetes was out of control for a while but I have now finally got it back and everything seems fine. Just wondering though today my blood has mostly been 4.0 and I am just wondering is this abit too low would you say it needs to be 5.0 - 7.0

howie

hey i'm 22, i was 4.0 earlier. didn't bother me. i aim to be in the 4's or 5's most of da time like my fellow non-DB's. little later i was 4.8 anyway (without eating). i'd personally only correct it if i suspected it was falling after food or if was gonna be active. :D

non-DB's wake with BG's lower than 4 so it's not gonna do you any harm, better than 7 for sure.

howie

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
its a personal choice,
i dont treat till under 4 unless it is 4 and im in the middle of something busy or know im going to be very busy before i next eat, then i will most likely have a snack,
if its 4 id suggest keeping a close eye on it :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Like the others I too consider 4mmol/l as reasonable. However, less than 4 is considered Hypoglycaemic and is the threshold for a hypo, so personally I like to keep away from a 4, more towards a 4.7 upwards.

It is also relevant to your own hypo awareness. Normally you should start feeling a little 'edgy' when getting towards the hypo area, if you don't then your hypo awareness may not be good.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Jodie, like others here 4 would make me a bit nervous, but only because I have almost zero hypo awareness. My pump alarm is set to go off sub-5 just to warn me to keep an eye on levels, but I routinely wake between 4.5 and 5 with no problem. Sailing close to the wind is what it's all about!

lilibet

Depends on context - if have you just eaten, when next to eat, is it likely to drop still etc. All depends on how you feel too or if you feel a bit jittery or whatever

You wont get many controlled diabetics being unhappy with the number four (makes like sesame street, today we have the NUMBER 4 - 4 stands for happy diabetics lol)

However, can guarantee you that your clinic will think thats TOO LOW ,esp for a T1. Yes quite, let them have heart attacks on your behalf then! :evil:

africandoll

If I got below 4.4 then I consider myself having a hypo,
I would feel all the symptoms of having a hypo and would treat it as an hypo.
But I guess everyones bodies are different.

gbtyke

I too am happy to see a 4 on my meter, in fact I almost aim for it. If you are low carb low insulin and not swinging about all over the place then it should be managable - but again in context as exercise could send it lower or if it is still falling it needs watching. I get hypo sensations usually low 3's.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
gbtyke said:
I too am happy to see a 4 on my meter, in fact I almost aim for it. If you are low carb low insulin and not swinging about all over the place then it should be managable - but again in context as exercise could send it lower or if it is still falling it needs watching. I get hypo sensations usually low 3's.

So, gbtyke.

Do you not get any sensations before you are actually in the Hypoglycaemic zone. Nothing at all before that ?

jopar

If you are 4 before a meal, then nothing wrong with that, I would myself air of caution when it came to injecting for a meal though, as if you are eating a slow adsorbing carb/high fat content meal the insulin could send you hypo before the carbs kicked I would be more likely to inject my dose either 1/2 way through the meal or just after I finished...

If you drive then a 4 would mean you would need a snack, to ensure that you didn't hypo at the wheel..

I wouldn't go to bed on a 4, as you would likely have a hypo through the night
I wouldn't exercise on a 4 either
IF my meal was going to be a while, then I would have a snack to ensure that I didn't fall below before my meal...

The problem with running your BG's near the 4 mark too much can cause you to become hypo unaware, which can cause all sorts of problems, such as ending up in A&E or even intensive care, and again if you drive hypo unawareness effects your driving licence it will be taken off you as it's aginst the law to hold a driving licence let alone drive when you have hypo unwareness..

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
because my bloods were so hi 4 is when I really start rattling and take it as an indicator I' probably about to have a hypo and just keep checking

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm perfecly fine down to about 3.2. It's rare, because my 2 x 500mg of Metformin doesn't cause hypos in me.
Hana