1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

4 years diagnosed,just found forum..help

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by tangram, Feb 1, 2012.

1. tangram

tangram · Active Member

Hi. I was diagnosed with T2 4years ago but thanks to the useless advice from the dietician, had cut back on just sugar and not carbs. I am really worried I have been needlessly damaging myself and have been feeling lousy recently. I found this forum yesterday and from today have totally changed my diet from the usual Mash, rice, bread etc etc and bought fish, salad and Burgens bread !! I do love peanut butter so is that OK? My last fasting bloods almost a year ago showed 6.5 which I was told was excellent, now im beginning to doubt this and will buy a tester from Boots, something which has never been discussed at the annual clinic !! Oh well, I hope better late than never rings true with this one...any feedback would be gratefully received.

2. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Hi Tangram and welcome to the forum :) It's a good thing you found this forum as it will help you to control your diabetes better and avoid future complications as far as possible. It's good that you are going to start testing, as by doing that you can work out what are the best and worst things for you to eat. Here is some general information that we give out to new members and I think it will help you. Ask as many questions as you need to as there is usually someone here to help.

3. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

Hiya! Peanut butter's fine. If you get a meter, I wouldn't bother about testing fasting BGs. Check your BG 2 hours after eating and if it's too high you know you ate something you shouldn't. You can do something about that; you can't do much about fasting BGs.
    Welcome and good luck!

4. tangram

tangram · Active Member

Thanks for that info guys, it is such a minefield and I am just about getting my head around it after another evening of spending 4 hours reading tons of posts on here..but glad i found it !! Has anyone read that post from 2008 about drinking Linseed oil? If that worked why are people still living with this condition?

5. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

Because it doesn't

6. tangram

tangram · Active Member

Thought not...Oh well at least I can enjoy my peanut butter on burgens bread ( which I love) :D

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook