48hr fast and low blood sugar levels - Type 2 Diabetes

RJH2345

Hi all,

I have been doing intermittent fasting for about 2 months and getting great results on a keto diet.

I embarked on a strict fast about 48hrs ago (only drinking water) and my blood sugar was 4.3 in the evening and has now dropped to 3.8 in the morning after a light gym workout - should I be worried about this?

My main focus is to continue burning fat but i read somewhere that blood sugar below 4 is a concern - i feel fine maybe a bit light headed when I need to get up quick - don’t feel any hunger tho...was hoping to go 72hrs on this fast..

Thoughts?

Reactions: HumbleKath65

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on medication for diabetes? If not, I wouldn't worry about it, non diabetics go as low as 3.5 regularly.

Reactions: Chris26111980

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unless you are taking drugs that lower BG or BP other then Metformin you should be OK. You may benfit from a little salt.

RJH2345

Yup I’m not on any medication - trying to beat type 2 naturally with diet and exercise - thanks for the comments

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup I’m not on any medication - trying to beat type 2 naturally with diet and exercise - thanks for the comments
You should be fine.. I've been down to 3.5 whilst fasting.. in my experience you won't stay there for long and your liver will kick in and raise your sugars a bit. Usually happens for me about 60 hours into a fast.

RJH2345

You should be fine.. I've been down to 3.5 whilst fasting.. in my experience you won't stay there for long and your liver will kick in and raise your sugars a bit. Usually happens for me about 60 hours into a fast.

And that is exactly what happened - checked it 2 hrs later and it was back to 4.1 - i guess going into the 3s got me a bit freaked - thanks!

Reactions: ringi

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Low Carb and/or Fasting will lower both your Blood Glucose and your Blood Pressure. Both of these can give symptoms of light headedness.

It is unlikely that this is anything more than them being lower than your body is used to, but if symptoms persist get it checked by a doctor.