4mm needles - much better!

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've finally managed to get some 4mm needles, (it took ages to get the correct prescription, first time I tried I got 5mm needles, the second time I tried I got 2 Novopen4 instead of 2 boxes of 4mm needles! The GPs mistake not the chemist!) and they are tiny little things. They work OK for injecting in fat areas too, for small amounts of analogue insulins at least, I had assumed you were meant to use longer needles for injecting in fat, but the nurse said it didn't matter - the longer needles are more for larger amounts and more viscous insulins she said.
I only found out that needles this small existed by accident, I thought 5mm was the smallest, so I thought I'd post this in case anyone else wanted smaller needles but didn't know they were available.

redrevis

I've been using the 4mm needles as well as early as I could get my hands on them. My GP still writes out the prescription by hand as he says he cannot find them on his system, but knows they're available. It's the Bd Micro-fine ones. I'm not sure if any other companies make them. I too wonder how many people don't know about them and just 'accept' using longer ones as they think that's all that is available. Apparently no-one else at my chemist asks for them so they have to order them in specially for me. I look back at the 6mm ones I used to use and think "they're massive" :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It makes you wonder how small these needles will get before they become ineffective in delivering insulin. I use the 5mm BD Micro-Fine needles having previously used the 8mm needle, and must say they are far more comfortable and just as effective in insulin delivery, not as many bruises and lumps as in previous years too, so not a bad thing overall. I'll have to ask gp to change my script to the 4mm next time I see him.

Nigel

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
I also use the 5mm Bd micro fine needles with humalog 25 mix. Would I be able to use the 4mm ones as I have loads of bruises and lumps and it is sometimes quite painful to inject esp, twice daily.

Thanks
polly

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
pollyr said:
I also use the 5mm Bd micro fine needles with humalog 25 mix. Would I be able to use the 4mm ones as I have loads of bruises and lumps and it is sometimes quite painful to inject esp, twice daily.

Thanks
polly

I can't see any reasons why not Polly, I switched from the 8mm to the 5mm without any problems and I am going to ask for the 4mm needles when I see my dsn later in the week. Bruises and lumps can be avoided with rotating injection sites, take a read of the following which offers some good advice:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx ... 01&id=7282

Nigel

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for the link Nigel I will check it out. I have only used my abdomen since being on insulin 18 months ago and though not quite as bruised as at first is still painful in places. Perhaps I should try other sites but still am a bit squeamish with the injections. The 4mm needles sound a good idea though.

Polly

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
pollyr said:
Thank you for the link Nigel I will check it out. I have only used my abdomen since being on insulin 18 months ago and though not quite as bruised as at first is still painful in places. Perhaps I should try other sites but still am a bit squeamish with the injections. The 4mm needles sound a good idea though.

Polly

It's always a good idea to rotate your injection sites regularly Polly, I am on MDI and have to inject 5 times a day so rotation is not a option for me. As the needles get smaller I have noticed that the bruises and lumps that I had previously experienced have almost ceased, so no doubt the 4mm needles will make a small difference too, but how small are they going to get! :?

Nigel

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Nigel
I will start the rotation process as I did wonder whether the lumps already under the skin would subside eventually if I stop using the same site. After reading the articles on the link you gave, which was very helpful, I may be injecting too low on the abdomen and think I could easily change this. I have discussed with my SDN moving to a one daily dose of insulin since my BS's are in better shape than 18 months ago and hope to take this forward if at all possible at a future date. It is still all quite new to me and a very steep learning curve as I discover new stuff all the time. Will definitely ask for the 4mm needles though.

Thankyou for your kind help
Polly

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
The new BD Nano 4mm x32G pen needle.

Does anybody know anything about this new needle being available here in the UK yet?
http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx ... 2&id=32521

Its only 4mm long and a thin gauge of 32.
I mentioned it this morning to my DN and she not only had not heard of it but could not find an NHS product code for ordering a box for patients to try a few before asking for a box of them.

Any info I could pass on to her will be much appreciated.

redrevis

Re: The new BD Nano 4mm x32G pen needle.

You can get BD Micro-fine 4mm 32G needles. PIP code is 351 2878
They've been out a good few months now. Shouldn't have any problems getting any :D

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Re: The new BD Nano 4mm x32G pen needle.

Thanks Red!