5:2 Diet

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I'm seriously struggling with weight loss. I Very low carb 95% of the time. I will admit I do have bad weeks, but I think that is often due to feeling low cos theres been no weight loss = vicious circle. I am considering different options. I did consider the Newcastle diet but not sure I can manage that. So looking at the 5:2 fast diet. I think I could do that well. I would very low carb 5 days a week then under 500 calories 2 days a week(still low carb).

I was wondering, 1 if anyone else has done this and had success? and 2 can you give me ideas for the fast days. I feel I would need some kind of breakfast, even if it's just a cheese string, otherwise my liver dumps glucose making me feel ****. I make homemade soups for my week day lunches anyway, is this a possibility for fasting days? Maybe I could have soup for lunch and dinner?

Thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

sueky01

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
been cold!!!
I too am exactly the same. I have been doing protein shakes, breakfast lunch a salad and a cooked evening meal. I take metaformin sr 1 a day, and statins. going through menopause so am baffled as to why my weight loss is nothing.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I guess there's not many people doing 5:2 then.

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am wondering about doing it too, am not sure about the "eat what you want on the five days". I think I'll stick to low carbing which I enjoy anyway and then just eat 500 calls on the two days. It's difficult to know sometimes just what to do, I had low carbed last year until I tried low gl and started eating my own muesli with milk for breakfast. Big mistake at my next Hba1c it was 11, up from 6.3 last August. I was shocked beyond belief because I had read to eat little and often etc. that certainly didn't work for me as I've found out (no meter to test ). So I figured that fasting might be the way to go. Would be interested to know anyone that's done it to help reverse their diabetes.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well I'm going to give this a go starting Monday. I am off the Paris at easter and would like to fit better into some of my clothes. Also I'm feeling down at the moment so any weight loss will cheer me up.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never done the 5:2 as it is today, but I did my own version of it to 'keep my metabolism guessing'. I think it's a good idea to try something new. I think your suggestions seem pretty good. You know the problems you will face and you're taking steps to get over those problems. If I were trying it I would probably do it just as you have said....with the possibility of soup twice on two days.

Good luck :)

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
5 2 intermittent fasting diet on Facebook is quite a good group.

Ali

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well I've just been asked to be a bridesmaid in August. So yet another reason to trim down! So chuffed. This will be my first time.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well I am having a fasting day today. I had a Weight watchers lemon flavoured greek yog for breakfast, 60 Calories, wasn't as high carb as most I saw. I'm now feeling hungry but drinking lots of water. I do have a cheese string and an apple with me, but I'm resisiting. I will have a homemade soup soon for lunch, I work that out at about 120 calories. Then tonight I plan on veg with a bit of fish. Not sure when to have my next fasting day this week. I'm out for dinner Thursday night, Friday I'm making cakes for choir that evening, requested by someone else. Sat night going for an indian, and sunday been invited out to roast dinner round a friends. Maybe I'll fast again wed.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well I didn't do too badly for my first fast day. The evening got to me though and I probably has 700 calories in total instead of the 500. I need to make sure I'm busier in the evenings I do this to stop myself going to the fridge.

Lucie2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason you aren't losing any weight is because you are having 500cal days. Nobody can function and actively lose weight with a diet like that.. Eat small regular meals throughout the day and make sure you snack on healthy fats like avocados, peanut butter on rice cakes etc. Fasting is not healthy, whether we have diabetes or not. Try and eat most of your carbs in the morning!

Lucie2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I disagree. The body is pretty good at looking after itself. You don't need to cellular cleanse. It's not worth it to starve, even for 18hours. Not healthy in the slightest.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I needed to lose three stone.
I went on the LCHF diet and lost three stone.
Put half a stone back on and that half stone fluctuates somewhat but I'm happy to stick to this diet for the rest of my unnatural.
Trying this diet and that diet and being diet minded most of the time wouldn't sit well with me .... to time consuming and sounds quite depressing.
I count nothing weigh nothing understand nothing about calories cannot exercise because of spinal problems.
I agree that fasting isn't a good idea even more so for a diabetic.
Jesus wasn't into fasting .... there's one episode where he gets baptised and the spirit of God comes down on him and he realises who and what he is and he's lived in the spirit realm before the material one and the task ahead of him and it must have come as something of a shock to say the least so he retreated into the desert not to fast but to escape think ger his head together.
There happened to be no grub available and was probably the last thing on his mind just then.
Or so the story goes ......

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lenny3 Hey there! I've only joined here today, but I've been doing the 5:2 diet since early January and lost about 2 stone. I lost about a stone before being diagnosed late January but wasn't weighing myself up to that point. Notches on the belt and my pants falling down was enough! However the diabetes made me reassess my decision not to weigh myself and I have lost another 7Kg since then.

The 5:2 diet is fine. The fast days are usually easy. I had one that was tough, but got through OK. It can be combined with a low carb approach. Not my cup of tea but it's no problem. The one thing I would say is don't go mad on your normal days. MY BMR is about 2,900 cal and I aim for 2,300.

I've not being blood sugar testing for long but in the month my fasting level has dropped from about 5.5 to 4.9. I attribute that to the weight loss rather than the diet specifically. I've been monitoring my BP for longer than my BS and it's dropped from 140/90 roughly 118/68.

It's not a true fast. you eat up to 3 times a day! and your body doesn't go into starvation mode. It's an easy diet to keep up, so long as the motivation is there! That applies to any diet. You need a reason to lose weight. For me doing everything I can to make sure my eyeballs don't explode and my legs don't drop off is all the incentive I need!

Keep us up to date and let us know how you get on with it.. for me it's been a life changer.

Gourmande

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you all getting on? It's gone very quiet. I am thinking of trying IF because my weight loss has stalled. I would combine it with low carb which I have been doing.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm seriously struggling with weight loss. I Very low carb 95% of the time. I will admit I do have bad weeks, but I think that is often due to feeling low cos theres been no weight loss = vicious circle. I am considering different options. I did consider the Newcastle diet but not sure I can manage that. So looking at the 5:2 fast diet. I think I could do that well. I would very low carb 5 days a week then under 500 calories 2 days a week(still low carb).

I was wondering, 1 if anyone else has done this and had success? and 2 can you give me ideas for the fast days. I feel I would need some kind of breakfast, even if it's just a cheese string, otherwise my liver dumps glucose making me feel ****. I make homemade soups for my week day lunches anyway, is this a possibility for fasting days? Maybe I could have soup for lunch and dinner?

Thanks.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/ Read this blog, he uses differents fasting regiments to cure diabetes, he is a canadian doctor, and he bases his research on Roy Taylor.

Gourmande

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much. I had a good look at his videos and the web site last night. It certainly suggests that fasting is a good idea to combat the fatty liver which lies at the heart of the diabetic/insulin resistance problem. I couldn't get much idea of what sort of fasting regimes they were following, and presume that each one was individually tailored to their needs. I am going to give 5.2 fasting a try and see how I get on with that.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks very much. I had a good look at his videos and the web site last night. It certainly suggests that fasting is a good idea to combat the fatty liver which lies at the heart of the diabetic/insulin resistance problem. I couldn't get much idea of what sort of fasting regimes they were following, and presume that each one was individually tailored to their needs. I am going to give 5.2 fasting a try and see how I get on with that.

In the beginning Jason Fung had all of his fasting techniques freely available on his website, but since his blog is so popular, his has made them only available to patients. His reasoning for this is the following, if you use insulin or drugs that make your pancreas secrete it, you need to be closely montitoredm or else your bloodsugars may get to low,and he did not want to be responsible for any kinds of deaths like that. However, if you read all the comments on every blog post, you will find lot of information. Jason Fung uses fasts of all kinds of lengths, a week, 3 days, 1 day, 24 hours, a eating window of 8 hours each with 16 hours fasting, the possibilites are endless.

If you really want to know much about his methods do this.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/ is the webpage of a swedish lchf doctor. He is very sucessful in sweden, and he has gotten a great standing in the lowcarb mileu. One of the things he does is interviewing people, and some weeks ago he did a really long interview with Jason Fung. It went online on his swedish page, which I understand since I am norwegian, but now he also had an english version of the videos, on the english site. The only bad thing is that you need to be a member of the site to watch, but just do as I did, the first month is free, so you sign up, watch Fungs interview, and then you cancel the subscription. During the interview JAson Fung talks about fasting length, methods, experiences and so forth. good luck!

Gourmande

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the beginning Jason Fung had all of his fasting techniques freely available on his website, but since his blog is so popular, his has made them only available to patients. His reasoning for this is the following, if you use insulin or drugs that make your pancreas secrete it, you need to be closely montitoredm or else your bloodsugars may get to low,and he did not want to be responsible for any kinds of deaths like that. However, if you read all the comments on every blog post, you will find lot of information. Jason Fung uses fasts of all kinds of lengths, a week, 3 days, 1 day, 24 hours, a eating window of 8 hours each with 16 hours fasting, the possibilites are endless.

If you really want to know much about his methods do this.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/ is the webpage of a swedish lchf doctor. He is very sucessful in sweden, and he has gotten a great standing in the lowcarb mileu. One of the things he does is interviewing people, and some weeks ago he did a really long interview with Jason Fung. It went online on his swedish page, which I understand since I am norwegian, but now he also had an english version of the videos, on the english site. The only bad thing is that you need to be a member of the site to watch, but just do as I did, the first month is free, so you sign up, watch Fungs interview, and then you cancel the subscription. During the interview JAson Fung talks about fasting length, methods, experiences and so forth. good luck!

Thanks, I'll take a look.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! I've lost about 3.5 stone now this year. Blood sugar completely under control too. I did have a week in Cancun last week and did no diet days. However just eating on my own terms still left me much less debauch than last time I was there and I only put two pounds on.. straight back on the fasting day yesterday. So I'm really pleased with the transition. If you want to low carb then it combines really well. Just leave the high fat for non fast days. fills your limited calories up too quickly.

Reactions: 4 people