5/2 diet

steppitoe

Hi there I am type 2 and wondered if anyone had experience of using the 5/2 diet to lose weight. ie are there any negative effects?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well if you are a woman its not a good idea, it can cause a lot of female problems.

G

graj0

Hi there I am type 2 and wondered if anyone had experience of using the 5/2 diet to lose weight. ie are there any negative effects?

No personal experience but several people I know, male and female, and all 55+ (just in case that makes a difference) have tried it with great success. The only downside is feeling hungry on the two days.

They were getting their info from different places because some did the two days as consecutive days whereas others did two separate days. Interestingly results were all similar. Also, looking at the NHS website and Intermittent Fasting, there doesn't seem to be any side effects specific to women mentioned and of those mentioned, my friends certainly noticed irritability (because they were hungry) and tiredness (because they're 55+), nothing else.

My friends also tell me that it was easier to go really low for a couple of days, especially if they weren't consecutive, than to cut back to BMR minus 500 calories a day.

Personally, cutting carbs has got my calorie intake down to about 1000 calories (BMR minus 1000) a day anyway, and has helped me lose loads of weight as well as chucking out meds which I no longer need.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It's worked great for me. I'm rarely hungry on the fast data, but it does happen occasionally! You can 5:2 and low carb at the same time. I'm not a low carber but fasting meal is usually chicken and veg or salad.

Blood sugar is always great on fasting days and the following day too.