5:2 Intermittent Fasting

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was hoping to find a thread on this but could not find one. I am seriously considering trying this but although I am type 2 I am on insulin at present and could do with some advice with regards to my insulin. On occasions I have taken my insulin and not eaten for a couple of hours and my bg is higher - how does this happen. Like many diabetics I also have hypertension (5 pills), IBS, & sleep apnoea.

Thank you folks :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
for a 5 +2 diet, you may need to be on a basal and not take your bolus for the day..personally I would go LCHF which you can read about here

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
for a 5 +2 diet, you may need to be on a basal and not take your bolus for the day..personally I would go LCHF which you can read about here

Hi, I am on Humalog 25 mix which I take at breakfast and evening meal - guess it will need to be trial and error if I can manage to motivate myself to try something new!! I have been doing LCHF for a little while but ran into problems mainly coming from emotional stress so that is why I am looking at the 5:2.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ask your nurse, I don't think 5+2 will work with Humalog mix, I really don't see any form of fasting viable for you

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
ask your nurse, I don't think 5+2 will work with Humalog mix, I really don't see any form of fasting viable for you

I did speak to my DN at the end of December last year and she said I would probably not need insulin on the fast days but it would probably be a trial and error system!! She said that it works very well for some people. I am just finding it very difficult at the moment to motivate myself :(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the same would apply to type 2 on mixed insulin, it just messes you around too much.