5:2, T2 and metformin

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've recently been diagnosed with T2. I was doing 5:2 before this and I recollect that it had something to say about diabetes but I think it was around being a good thing to prevent getting it (hmmm). So I have some questions for those in the know:

1) How does it work with diabetes? Does the long period of fasting and the low calorie intake cause problems or the reverse?
2) And how does it work with metform? I am weaning myself on to metformin - having started with half my prescribed dose after advice from my pharmacist, I'm about to go up to the full dose. I usually take a tablet half way through breakfast but if I were to do 5:2, I don't have breakfast. Any advice please?

Thank you

Deac1979

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I asked my DN about this at my last visit and basically she talked me out of doing the 5:2 diet as there is a high chance of hypoglycaemic attack's because of the low calorie in take on the fasting days

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I've always thought that a 5:2 IF regime is roughly equivalent to a lower carb regime in fact my doc suggested I might try it if I wanted to get more carbs in my diet than I can currently cope with. He is fine with my LC regime but was just "putting it out there" as a serious alternative and I agree it is an alternative if you have the willpower not to eat which I don't!

In very simple terms a low(er) carb diet and IF will both reduce how much insulin your pancreas needs to produce when averaged out over a week. An IF regime will also introduce calorie restriction but so does a low carb regime in most people.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Not long before diagnosis, I tried 5:2 for a couple of weeks. I felt fantastic (with hindsight it was due to the reduced carbs) but I was too hungry to sleep lol so stopped it.

If I remember correctly, Dr Mosely personally splits his calorie allowance between two meals on fasting days. This might help with taking the metformin. I wouldn't fancy taking it on an empty stomach. Good luck if you go for it :)

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to say that the 5/2 diet is probably going to be why many more will be diagnosed as diabetic in the future. The body needs to be fueled regularly to keep blood sugar levels even etc Peaks and troughs, Seesawing, We,re not cavemen anymore. We live a modern life. We need to eat healthily and regularly with everything in moderation and balanced. That is the key.