5.7 lowest reading since diagnosis

millie_uk

My test first thing this morning was 5.7
This is the first reading under 6 and I haven't had all that many in the 6's since diagnosis. I started on 1 x 500 Metformin last week, increased to 2 this week and have noticed my readings have improved. I am on reduced carbs and have been since mid May but was still struggling to get my readings away from the 7's and 8's
My HbA1c came back at 7.3 but I didn't have one done at diagnosis so no idea how much of an improvement that has been. I know it would have been much higher previously. I have been diagnosed since mid May.
I am delighted to have the improved readings and know that I am also helping myself greatly by avoiding the starchy carbohydrates. Apart from a side of chips once a week and the rare half a chapatti I have had no potatoes, bread, pasta or rice the past 4 months. I get most of my carbs from stir fried veg.

Since going low carb in May, I have lost almost 3 stone. I am eating plenty fat and protein.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
millie_uk said:
My test first thing this morning was 5.7
This is the first reading under 6 and I haven't had all that many in the 6's since diagnosis. I started on 1 x 500 Metformin last week, increased to 2 this week and have noticed my readings have improved. I am on reduced carbs and have been since mid May but was still struggling to get my readings away from the 7's and 8's
My HbA1c came back at 7.3 but I didn't have one done at diagnosis so no idea how much of an improvement that has been. I know it would have been much higher previously. I have been diagnosed since mid May.
I am delighted to have the improved readings and know that I am also helping myself greatly by avoiding the starchy carbohydrates. Apart from a side of chips once a week and the rare half a chapatti I have had no potatoes, bread, pasta or rice the past 4 months. I get most of my carbs from stir fried veg.

Since going low carb in May, I have lost almost 3 stone. I am eating plenty fat and protein.

Brilliant! See, this whole diabetes thing isn't so bad after all is it?

KennyS

Fabulous results Millie. I know in my own journey that when I first started to watch the types of carbs I eat and the reaction that I had to them, I was cautious at first so my readings went low quickly but as I started experimenting with different foods more, it started to creep back up again. This will go down again as I broaden my acceptable foods and experiment less.

Keep Up the good work! :thumbup:

Kenny :wave:

Knightwatch

What can I say but well done, however I am confused with all what Dtrs/Consultants/Healhtcare staff want.

I am Type 2 Diabetic, and last week was at GP Practice to see Diabetic Nurse, who took my Full Bloods for Testing along with my routine check-up on other Medications/BG etc. She was a bit concerned when she saw I had a few 9.2's however was aware I had a viral infection and as before knocked me for six, told me not to worry, and see what GP said at next appointment. To day was at Hospital to see Diabetic Consultant, he was generally satisfieed with the Blood Test Results, however went on about BG results wants them down as under new system my HbA1c had gone up to 75, he sujests now checking carbs, along with sugar contents of anything we buy. the other half is pulling her hair out, for example I now have for breakfast Kellogs's Nuttri-Grain Biscuits and Consultant checked Web Site there and then, reply all a bit of a gimmick - why not try All Bran - don't like, what about porridge, OK but other half cannot stand smell. Other foods usually Chicken/Vegtables/Light Yogurt, this weeks BG started with 7.8/6.8/7.6 etc, I really try, however I have said this before one says one thing about what you should do or take, and the other says another. Whats next I ask myself just stop eating, Medictaion is driving me up the wall as I have to take 2 x 10mg Byetta Injections morning/evening before food, and 2 x Tablets before food to stop regurgitation, that does not include the other Diabetic Medication. As I said well done hope you can keep on top its a long and some times a lonely struggle with left/right not sining off same hymn sheet

Regards WW