5 second rule...sounds simple

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @jjraak, She certainly is a motivational speaker !! Thank you, I needed an update on this interesting world.
I have seen variations of her style and tables of points etc for over the past 40 years.
The purple stage - calming but stimulating, the pauses in speech, the movement in position when making points, use of variation in voice, audience participation, self-deprecation to get people on side. It is showpersonship.
Is the 5 rule much different to counting to 10 ?- only in the way it has been emphasised maybe?
My guess is that there are likely not many older persons in her audiences. They will have heard something similar before.
That is not to say she is not effective.
But it also buys into the American Dream. And let us face it - the individualism, libertarianism seem to have eaten the heart of that country, unless you are rich and to some extent lucky.
But just because UK, Australia, NZ, Canada have some form of universal healthcare does not mean we are going to be sitting back and doing nothing. But there is not the desperation, the fear that you and your family might face medical bankruptcy, that others may not give a **** (although there will be supporters, depending on one's social status, neighbourhood etc.)
And we have seen in many countries the effect of the American business model on local families, officialdom etc. Why bring in America consultants to look at the NHS?? Oh, politicians forgot that to be in that business model you need to read memos to realise what disasters they have wrought elsewhere !!!
In Oz 20 years ago I clashed horns with an Aussie hospital administrator in full American business model mode, he told me of his training and tried to sic it on me. No regrets about sacking staff, talking tough. He disappeared inside 3 months. But it took 12 months to fix the damage.
I am afraid that for all the good she do I have seen too many of her type who help some but not many. Those who she does not help might never have been helped but it can wreck havoc on others when they try too hard.
But like anything an inspirational talk, some principles taken in - and some might get there. But change country first!!