5 weeks into it.....

Malc Bury

Hello Everyone :),
I came back off holiday wih an insatiable thirst, went to the docs and 'Hey Ho', dignosed with Type 2 :| . Although the aim is for me to eventually control it with diet, he put me on one Metformin for the first four weeks, Then two a day plus one 80mg Gliclazide from beginning of week 5. My blood sugar reading was a staggering 25 on diagnosis, but I've managed to get it down to between 8 and 11 since then!
Just been browsing the forum. Wow, there is so much information on here. I also see theres a lot of stuff on the 'Low Carb' option which I was advised to follow by the nurse at the health centre. For someone who loves chip butties and mashed potato I am finding it a stuggle, :( but I will persevere as the drop in my sugar count proves it works! :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Give that Nurse a medal. Most Healthcare professionals are VERY ANTI low carb diets

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya malc and welcome to the forum :D

samcogle

Malc Bury said:
Hello Everyone :),
I came back off holiday wih an insatiable thirst, went to the docs and 'Hey Ho', dignosed with Type 2 :| . Although the aim is for me to eventually control it with diet, he put me on one Metformin for the first four weeks, Then two a day plus one 80mg Gliclazide from beginning of week 5. My blood sugar reading was a staggering 25 on diagnosis, but I've managed to get it down to between 8 and 11 since then!
Just been browsing the forum. Wow, there is so much information on here. I also see theres a lot of stuff on the 'Low Carb' option which I was advised to follow by the nurse at the health centre. For someone who loves chip butties and mashed potato I am finding it a stuggle, :( but I will persevere as the drop in my sugar count proves it works! :)
Hi Malc, I am newly diagnosed too and am managing to cope without the mash and chips, but I have developed an awful habit of staring at anyone who eats chips and sort of chew along with them :lol:
A handy tip I think I got on here is mashed chick peas....not quite the same but i have to admit they do the trick. Good luck and welcome

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Malc,
Love the avatar!!
I am a lifelong carboholic, I have found this forum sooooo useful. I have been low carbing for ten days now and have not touched a potato , chip or mashed, I havent had any bread either. i feel so much better, no sluggish starts for me now, i am up with the larks. i was advised to get hold of a copy of the Collins little gem carb counter book, I got it and keep it close at all times.

good luck matey.

Bernie

samcogle

bernie.freeman said:
Hi Malc,
Love the avatar!!
I am a lifelong carboholic, I have found this forum sooooo useful. I have been low carbing for ten days now and have not touched a potato , chip or mashed, I havent had any bread either. i feel so much better, no sluggish starts for me now, i am up with the larks. i was advised to get hold of a copy of the Collins little gem carb counter book, I got it and keep it close at all times.

good luck matey.

Bernie
Oooh I have sent for that on Amazon but it hasn't turned up yet. Think it may become my bible. It comes highly recommended on here Malc, might help us both with the chips and mash :)

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious
hi everbody i have also been taking tabsfor five week 3 meterformin slow release and cant belive what a difference reducing carbs make most of the advice is spot on and also about checking your own bs mine are mainly between 4 and 5.4 most of the time now and i feel more in control than ever i am also making an appointment at docs to see if i can reduce my dosage but like you i do miss the big plate of mash and sausage

iph888

Hi Carlos,

I know what you mean exactly my HbA1C was 16 initially after coming back from an overseas trip and a year & a half later it's 4.9 & i've lost 5 stone.

It seems difficult but it is doable if you get your head around it right!

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
yes exactly five weeks ago i was tottaly devestated and had lost my way my bs were up to 21.9 although its not a cure and it is very hard you have to get your head round it and keep it up i

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
Give that Nurse a medal. Most Healthcare professionals are VERY ANTI low carb diets

Agreed!

You don't see many who try the reduced carb option and return to their former low fat opinions. You see a small but increasing number going the other way. They can't argue with results.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Trink
they do argue with results
My T1 husband's consultant was pleased withhis improved numbers and asked him waht he'd done. When told " My wife has put me on a low carb diet". He asked if I am a doctor. When told I'm a mere biologist, he answered " we don't recommend that" i suspect that he isn't aware that other doctors at the hospital agree it's good, but all of them say "don't tell Dr. ***** I said so"

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
carlos said:
hi everbody i have also been taking tabsfor five week 3 meterformin slow release and cant belive what a difference reducing carbs make most of the advice is spot on and also about checking your own bs mine are mainly between 4 and 5.4 most of the time now and i feel more in control than ever i am also making an appointment at docs to see if i can reduce my dosage but like you i do miss the big plate of mash and sausage

Mash up cooked cauliflower with butter,it's as good as mash but not so starchy.

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
thanks for that sue tried that today and was okay i was pleasantly suprised thanks for the info if anyone has any suggestions for breakfast meals this would be gratefully welcome as this is ra meal i am struggling with thanks and best wishes to all

samcogle

carlos said:
thanks for that sue tried that today and was okay i was pleasantly suprised thanks for the info if anyone has any suggestions for breakfast meals this would be gratefully welcome as this is ra meal i am struggling with thanks and best wishes to all
Breakfast is a struggle for me as I eat when I get to work and sometimes, like today I forgot my milk but had some burgen bread.
I tend to have a small bowl of muesli or porridge oats or hummus and carrot (if you can stomach this first thing in the morning), or boiled eggs and fruit or burgen bread with bacon or sausage or fruit salad with yogurt :D

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
thanks samcogle sorry to sound bumb but whats burgen bread

samcogle

carlos said:
thanks samcogle sorry to sound bumb but whats burgen bread
Hi Carlos, its a soya type bread with seeds in it. It's supposed to be low GI although it still raises my BS quite high.
Sam

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
Hi,

I'm 8 weeks in, and finding I miss spuds too. Hang on in there though, it does get easier.

I must be lucky, I eat the Bergen Bread and it doesn't raise my BS much (less than 1 and a half). It tastes good too and lasts quite a long time - almost as long as the 'long life' bread which has way too much sugar but makes great toast. The Bergen bread doesn't make great toast.