5 year old Still having tummy ache. Results are back

serankine

Hi i have posted on here before about this but my daughter is still having tummy ache.

She was diagnosed last november (4 yrs) She is now 5 and seems to be coping well. We test her bloods about 4-5 times a day which she does herself with support.
her Hba today at the hospital was 7.1

But she is still complaining of tummy ache every day (sometimes when we check her bloods she might be hypo or hyper) but not all the time. it has been happening now like i say for a year.
They have reffered her for a blood test to check for coeliac or some other stuff..

Just wondered if any one else has had this problem?

Her diet hasnt changed since she was diagnosed( apart from the squash we drink)
She still does her sport trampoling and gymnastics.
Did wonder if it was for attention but not sure. I have tried to ignore her well give her the brush off (your ok / see how you go) since i work at her school she does try and find me. :(

She is happy to talk about her diabetes and does her bloods in frount of her friends and likes to show her pump to everyone.
So not sure if it is attention.
If tou have any help ar advice would be really grateful. :?:
Thanks
Sarah :D

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Re: 5 year old Still having tummy ache

I am bumping up your post so that more people can see it.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi

I haven't a child with diabetes but am Type 1 myself. I have to say I suffer from feeling nauseous a lot. I feel very sick like I want to be sick when I go low and high. It always seems to happen, even if my sugar is sitting at 12.

Not much help I know but maybe she does feel a bit poorly at times.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.

I remember your initial worry about this and sorry it hasn't gone away or got a dx. Do you think it could be psychological? Your child is of an age to pick up on stress and also beginning more social experiences in school. It doesn't appear to be related/common to diabetes and I think you had already been given blood tests for Ceoliac. Have they done a blood test to Chrohn's disease? Have you kept notes before and after times when she has had tummy ache to see what she has eaten, done during the day, who she has been around? Just grasping at straws...

serankine

Thanks,
we have talked to Leah again about her tummy aches (how much they hurt and before or after foods). She doesnt seem to have a problem with her diabetes or worries about it. But we have started reading the childrns book again. The only thing she said she hates is having her canula done since she is on the pump. But we talk to her aboout why she has it.
She had had her bloods done. But we are waiting for the results of the coaliac. It has shown her thyroid is running slightly high the results we have had back. We have also put her back on to school lunches to see it that helps.
Thank you for all your advice. :D

Just feel so helpless. :?

I dnt know how to help her or if its just Leah trying to get attention for other reasons other then her diabetes.
Its so hard.

Thanks again and Happy New Year. :thumbup:

serankine

Just to let you know we have had Leahs bloods back. Her thyroid is running a little high and also her coeliac has come back a little high. Our diabetic nurse is hoping to speak to her consultant Monday to see if she has to have more blood done or to send her for a bi-opsy for the coeliac.
Im not sure what all this means. But at least we are getting there.
Thanks Sarah

leggott

It sounds like you are getting nearer to working out what the problem is and I hope you get some answers soon.

My sons blood showed antibodies for Coeliac disease and he had to have a biopsy. This involves taking a sample of the lining of the stomach to see if there is any damage caused by having coeliac disease. If the the results are negative this means that although your child is producing antibodies, they don't have the disease. We were told there was a 50/50 chance that the result would be positive and luckily for us the results were negative. The biopsy is done under a general anathestic for a child and is a fairly quick procedure.

My daughter has also showed an increased level of thyroid antibodies although her current thyroid function is normal so no intervention necessary. If her levels change and thyroid functionn falls then we have been told that she would then need to take thyroid by tablets which should resolve any problems.

Hope this helps.

serankine

Thnks this does help. We well find out on monday what her consultant says either more bloods first or go straight for the bio-opsy. Its just a pain waiting to find out what they are going to do. The diabetic nurse said they are going to monitor her thyroid levels.
Thanks for your reply its just nice to have some answers at last, also to know that there is something behind her tummy ache instead of the class ta thinking she is moaning for attention all the time, and me nagging her.

leggott

it is always hard with small children when trying to work out what is wrong. I do hope that the Coeliac test comes back negative but it would explain her tummy problems.

With my daughter they checked her bloods again 3 months after the blood test which showed antibodies for thyorid. The next blood test still showed antibodies but thyroid still ok, so now the next test will be in 6/9 months.

I know it's hard, but try not to worry about what others think. You have enough to deal with without having to explain all this to others who don't understand. I have had comments made by staff at my childrens school which have annoyed me. I know the comments are not meant as they come across but I just wish they would think a bit more before saying things.

Let us know how you get on.

serankine

Thanks so much for your advice and help.
I think its hard since i work at the school aswell, so they are Leahs teachers and collegues/friends. It is so hard to explain to them and Leah seems such a confident sometimes out spoken child but actually this is sometimes a front with her even tho she is only 5 years old.
We are just counting down the days till we find out what her consoultant is going to do. And we know then where we can go from there.
Do your children suffer with tummy aches even when there bloods are fine?

leggott

My son does say he feels sick when his bloods run high, but they do have to be very high for him to suffer like this. As we are pumping his blood can go very high in a short space of time if the pod/pump fails or there is an air bubble in the cannular. But for the majority of time his blood is well controlled so this is not an issue. If his blood goes too low he will then say his tummy feels a bit shakey, so again it is this region of his body that is affected. My son does find it hard to explain what the problem is, so it can be difficult to really understand what his symptoms are and what the cause is.

My son did for a while complain of on and off tummy ache and at the same time his blood showed a a high level of coeliac antibodies. So, we really did expect a positive result when we had the biopsy. Luckily it came back negative and at about the same time he stopped complaining of tummy ache!

My sons bloods still show the coeliac antibodies although I believe that the level has fallen. We have been advised that they will only perform another biopsy if he starts to have regular tummy ache and or other symptoms of coeliac disease - so for now all is ok.

The important thing to remember is not to make any changes to her diet until the biopsy is done otherwise it could give a false negative result.

I really hope all is ok and you sound like you are keeping your 'chin up' in what must be a very stressful and emotional time.

serankine

thanks i have spoke to her consultant today they are going to do more blood tests at the end of the month. Then go for a bi-opsy if needed.
So hopefully every thing will be sorted soon.
Thanks so much for all your advice so far.

Mini-Mimi

my daughter has just turned 5, diagnosed aged 3 and has also been complaining of belly ache, this happens whatever her levels are, all blood tests came back normal, i am at a loss as to what it could be :(

serankine

Hi everytime,
we went for Leahs check ups we always mentioned her belly aches. They finally sent her for bloods levels for coeliac came back a little high so she has been reffered again for more bloods. I feel awful. i never no how bad they are sice she finds it hard to tell me. We check her levels and they seem fine. Leah is on accu chek pump. She never really seems bothered abou her diabetes. she does ask sometimes when is it going away and why do i have it. But it doesnt effect what she does.
Like you i dnt no what it is?! Hopefully these blood tests will reveal more. Hope you find some explainations.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
I have just read something on a Facebook group I am a part of and apparently there is a high incidence of children with the H-Pylori bacteria in their stomach that eventually leads to ulcers. It is easy to test for so maybe worth something to check in your daughter. It is treated with anti-biotics and problems solved.

serankine

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Just had Leah's 2nd lot of blood results back. Her 2nd lot came back the same they were also running slightly high. Leahs diabetic nurse said she will speak to her consultant on Monday but she thinks they will refer her for a bio-opsy of the gut to find out if she is coeliac. Leah is still complaing of tummy aches and headches.

I just want to know what is causing the tummy aches and if its not coeliac then what the problem is.
Its so fraustrating and always worrying about her.
Just another waiting game till monday.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
The test for H-Pylori involves swallowing a tablet and blowing in a balloon. It is not a blood test. The person I have read this from daughter went through unexplained tummy trouble for 2 years before getting this test.

pielips

Hi
I thought I was ther only one my daughter diagnosed type 1 last January and she complains that she has tummy pains even when bloods are up, down or fine can't understand it.

serankine

I thought Leah was the only one with a tummy ache.
I had put a post on here before about her suffering but thought it was down to her being newly diagnosed.

But it has been over a year now.

Leah has now been reffered to a childrens hospital for a bio-opsy. Its still 50/50 wether it is coeliac or not but im just glad its being looked into. Thanks again for all your help.

Leah always complained of having tummy troubles even when her bloods where normal.
I did keep telling her off for moaning felt really guilty. just hope every thing gets sorted. Its just another long wait till we hear from the hospital.