50% Diabetic?

odyseus

Hi All,
I am 44, and like to think I am fairly fit (I am probably a bit over weight ie 14.5 stone with my height of 6 foot). However over the last 6 weeks or so, I found that I have become quite lathargic and tired. I now get very hot, sweaty and breathless with just a little gentle exercise. I also find that a hour or so after food I just feel like a lump of jelly with no energy. There are other symptoms too, my mouth is dry most of the time and I am drinking quite a lot (but there is only so much drink you can physically take) my skin is quite dry and flaky. I wouldn't say I was going to the loo much more than I did before?? All in all the symptoms are a bit like post viral fatigue. Anyway, after all these symptoms I went to the doctor, after a blood test, he said " I like to see lots of ticks in the boxes, unfortuneatly you have a cross in the glucose box" he went on to say that my glucose levels were a bit high and that I am 50% diabetic - whatever that means??? I have to go for another fasting blood test and give a urine sample. (I did mention on the first test, I hadn't eaten for 12 hours anyway). I was told that if the second test is the same, to expect a radical change of diet..

So is this what they call pre-diabetic or does it look more like type 2 diabetes?? and what is the difference?

All the best

John

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
It's like saying you're a little bit pregnant!!You either are or you're not!If you find you are you have come to the best place for advice.Good luck with your tests.

DiabeticGeek

One of the techniques for diagnosing diabetes checking whether two fasting blood tests taken on different days have glucose of over a certain level. It sounds as though your first test was over this threshold. If the tests are borderline, then you may well be diagnosed as "pre-diabetic". In the short term it doesn't make much difference which you are - because the treatment is the same. The difference is that pre-diabetes might be reversible if you can make big enough lifestyle changes quickly enough. The only tip that I will give you now is whether or not you are diagnosed with diabetes - ask for a copy of your test results. You might not understand them, but people here will be able to help you with that, and this information will make it easier to understand what is going on.

odyseus

Thanks for that, I shuld find out next Wednesday, after I had a blood and urine test yesterday (Tuesday). I notice that I am drinking a pint of water during the night. My 'wee' for the sample first thing in the morning was practically clear??? I just hope there is some clear diagnosis, as exercise in the last few weeks has been a real effort. It might also explain my headaches, they tend to come on mid-morning and last all day ( Really thumping with slight nausia and sweating). When they start to clear (usually late eveing) I just want to stuff myself with sweet food?? - I just wonder if this is related?
Anyway, I'll make a note of the readings and report back!
All the best
John