6.8 Prediabetic??

A

Anonymous

Erm... the longer I'm a diabetic, the more confused I seem to get.

I've just read a post where someone has been told they are prediabetic with a BG of 6.8? How can that be?

Joely

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Which post would that be......

A

Anonymous

I didn't mean told by someone on here. It was by their medical people.
All I meant was I just didn't know that this reading was classed as prediabetic, and wanted to know what other people think.

Joely

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
The post Joely is referring to is "Hello all" by metaltony :)

hallii

In my book 6.8 is diabetic.

Anything over 6.5 is how latest medical thinking classifies diabetic.

Mind you 6.8 is not very bad, a T2 should be able to manage to get that down by diet and excercise quite easily.

H

louiseb

it depends what the 6.5 is
if its a fasting blood glucose reading it would be a pre-diabetic figure as anything over 6 is not normal but it has to be over 7 to diagnose diabetes.
and if an HBA1C result then im confused also as I though that this was noy used to diagnose and only an OGTT was.
however my husband recently was showing symptoms of daibetes and the gp in my practice sent for a HBA1C and said if its over 6 then its borderline if its over 7 then its almost def diabetes.
can anybody shed some light on this please is HBA1C the new way to diagnose incedentally my husbands result was 5.8 which is in the normal range however i had the exact same HBA1C at time of diagnosis however I had an OGGT which confirmed daibetes so im abit confused also :?

hallii

HbA1c is a recognised diagnostic test for T2 diabetes, a Glucose Tolerance test can also be used to diagnose or a combination of the two.

National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines say that 7.0% is the point at which diabetes is diagnosed, the Joint British Societies Guidelines say that over 6.5% is the point of diagnosis.

Since the US authorities say 6.5% as well, and NICE are soon to adopt the lower level, I suggest that 6.5% is the best figure to use.

The problem is that you can have various problems that will give different results with different tests.

That's why the Docs. go to medical school, it not easy!

I have been diagnosed T2 for 8 years and have never had a OGTT, only Hba1c s.

H

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The HbA1c test for diagnosis is only recently been recommended by the WHO (World Health Organisation).

To date, the most frequently used diagnosis tests typically require taking a blood sample from a patient and measuring the glucose content. In some tests, the patient has to fast and then consume a high glucose drink with blood being taken before and after and the glucose levels compared. Some clinicians already carry out HbA1c tests as a means of diagnosing but it has not yet been widely used.

See this link for the information from DUK. 20/01/2011

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/New ... -diabetes/

Simon O’Neill, Diabetes UK Director of Care, Information and Advocacy, explained that: "This recommendation does not mean other tests for diagnosing diabetes will be shelved. Doctors will continue to use their clinical judgement about which test is most appropriate for their patients on an individual basis. This advice from the WHO simply provides an assurance that it is acceptable to add HbA1c to the range of options available for testing for diabetes."

ep4meuk

I was also confused when I got my reading after a fasting test reading of 6.5 to which that was taken after I had not seen my nurse for 3 months and was left with diet and exercise to try and get my levels down. My very first reading was 9 and then I was tested 3 months later as I just said it was 7.2 then the last reading was 6.5 but she still said I was Diabetic and after getting it down by myself I thought they would leave me to try again on my own for a while longer :? I am due for my next fasting test this coming monday after being on the Metformin now for 3 weeks so lets see what happens .....

Susan x

louiseb

my point is an HBA1C is only an average and if had been used to diagnose me I owuld not be be diabetic as my first HBA1C ame back at 5.7 however when I had the OGTT my results were as follows
fasting 7.3
2 hours after glucose 11.7

that is the only point im trying to make using HBA1C as diagnostic test might miss alot daibetics and they will slip threw the net

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I'm a Type 2. My levels aren't very high - last 'official' fasting bg was 6.0, last HbA1c was 5.2 - but I'm working on the principle that, if I'm not diabetic now I very soon will be, so I might as well treat myself as if I am diabetic and catch it before I get even worse!

I'm now on Metformin because it has been know to help weight loss; my self-testing bg levels are now very rarely above 6.0, and I expect, once I get the weight off, I should be able to stop the meds - provided I control my diet and up my exercise.

Basically, if your results are in the danger zone it's time to do something about it before they get worse. You are on the way to diabetes even if you're not quite there yet. Only a matter of time!

Only my opinion, of course . . . :D