6 Monthly Check Late - Who to Hassle?

Scardoc

My six monthly check was due at the end of May and (after hassling the hospital) have received my appointment today... for the 21st August!! This will mean by the time I get there it will have almost been 9 months since my last check up.

I am worried for the following reasons:
My feet weren't checked last time so it will have been 15mths come the appointment (I have ghastly feet from running :)).
I was put on medication for high BP a few months ago and haven't had the chance to discuss this with diabetes team yet.
I want to know my HbA1c every 6mths!

I've left a message for my Doc to call me (not in today!) and am going to as her if I can get my HbA1c done now and if she thinks I should be hassling the hospital or just to wait?

What's your opinions? Do you get seen every 6mths?

I envisaged this happening two years ago when they stopped letting me make my next appointment as I was leaving the current one!!

MaryJ

Hi Sardoc

Can you contact the hospital to see if they have an earlier appt?

I see a nefrologist (un-related to db) and went 10 months (normally 6) between appts because of them writing to me to change the orig date. when I saw the consultant at the clinic he told me the secretaries shuffle people and I should ring them to say he said I shouldn't go so long. since, I've only had to do it once and it worked.

But I suppose a full clinic is a full clinic - sometimes they over-book them in the hope people don't show.

Mary x

minitata

I only get seen annually unless my hba1c is out - then I get seen every 3 months. I'm also not supposed to test either - beggars belief really. Keep on hassling them Sardoc

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Scardoc said:

By all means see your gp if you have concerns before your appointment is due and she may write/contact the hospital to get you seen earlier if she thinks it's necessary. I get my review done every 9 months but I can always ring the clinic in between time should any problems occur.

Scardoc

noblehead said:
Scardoc said:

By all means see your gp if you have concerns before your appointment is due and she may write/contact the hospital to get you seen earlier if she thinks it's necessary. I get my review done every 9 months but I can always ring the clinic in between time should any problems occur.

Looks like I could be heading for 9 months too. I spoke to my doc earlier and she said that there was nothing to worry about, all of my results from every previous appointments have been fine and as long as I am not displaying any symptoms then they may start to see me every 9 instead of 6 mths. More responsibility on me I guess which I don't mind but I wouldn't mind knowing my HbA1c more regularly than 9 mths :(

I'm also considering buying a blood pressure test for myself.

Grazer

I get seen once a year as I'm considered "well controlled" (only because I bullied them into giving me strips!) but if I want an HbA1c in between I just ask and they seem happy to give me a blood test form which I take to the hospital. I normally invent an excuse like "I've been trying a new exercise regime and want to see the effect" or "adjusted diet a little more". I find that if you appear confident in your demand and are assertive, it works on my doctor. Unfortunately, not all doctors are the same I guess.

Mileana

Having an a1c done every 3 months or so should certainly not be a problem - I have had a chat with my GP, she sort of just put it on my record and I phone the desk and they forward me a form or send it electronically to lab where I get it taken. Saves her remembering - then I ring for my result the following week. When I go there, we can talk about the results without having to wait for a test if there's anything I'm concerned about etc.

Here in Daneland, all the records are shared electronically, so my Diabetes Team will have access to the same results - although I do tend to ask for a print now and then. They'll charge me a few squid for that sometimes.

I think it is about separating the 'work that isn't needed' from the 'tests that are helpful'. If you can do most of the work, I think most GPs are sensible enough. They may just try to limit the pressure on appointments etc. Help them see how little hassle it really is - you'll remember, you'll come grab the form, you'll go get the test done, and the lady at the desk can tell you your results and you won't have to bug them at all unless something is off.

Barrie Smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NHS and Prof Tony Weetman .
Go to Pals 9 months is far too long, the Diabetic Service is there to prevent long term damage , you will find that fighting for your treatment is a way of life , read and learn from the experience of others .

If you want a quote ,How about GMC to the Guardian (about the Ronnie Powell case )
The GMC is there to protect the Medical Profession and their Insurers . And possibly the Pharma Cartels they are currently
policing the Abbott/Synthroid Cartel to stop the prescription of Natural Thyroid .Patients come 4th or 5th.