7 years diagnosed and still struggling to understand

Notlob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
To be honest I've been diagnosed t2 for 7 yrs, and admit that I've been taking metformin 2x500 mg twice daily with 1 gliclazide 80 mg twice daily , I find it very hard to take the tablets , due to work commitments at regular times , so miss them out completely ( like a fool).
I was 24 stone when diagnosed and I'm happy to say I'm now 16 stone.
Was recently told that I could not have a required shoulder operation as my h1bc was 90.
I know this is my own fault and I'm not looking for sympathy , but I would like to know if anyone else struggles to take the tablets every day.( don't know if it's just me )any advice except " take them" would be appreciate as I know I need to. Thanks inadvance

Mod Edit: Two threads merged together and double post removed - andcol

Last edited by a moderator:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forums Notlob, I am tagging @daisy1 who will be along with lots of info that will help you to take control of your T2.

Reactions: Notlob

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @Notlob
Well done on the weight loss.
Have you looked at your diet? Particularly carbs will raise blood sugars, so reducing or cutting out things like bread, potatoes, rice pasta etc could help. I found a meter really helpful, testing before a meal and 2 hours after showed me which foods my body could cope with and what was better avoided.
Another thing that could help is exercise, just walking can really help.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what your work is so this might not be possible, but could you set up a daily reminder on your phone or email to prompt you to take medications at required times, maybe have them in pocket or desk drawer along with bottle of water. Is there a local diabetic support group in your area, my local one is held in room at Tesco!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Notlob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiitsme , thanks I think I need to look at carbs etc and exercise, I have a meter but only use it when I'm really unwell, booked in with the doc for tomorrow.
My work also includes me walking distance , inc stairs ladders etc but think I need to look into more exercise . I appreciate your comments . Thanks

Notlob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Scimama

Good suggestion I will do that , don't know about a local support group, but I'll make enquiries. Thank you

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
It is all well and good thinking about things...weighing it all up....asking doctors for advice...and you have done a very important thing here and reached out for help to a massive and relevant group with a tremendous range of experiences and approaches - and that reaching out is to be praised BUT stop considering it all do things!
Here are the "things"
1] Use your meter every day to identify particular foods that are increasing your blood sugar. You do this best by testing before you eat and 2.5 hours after you eat (if there's a jump of more than about 3mmols - eg. from 6.5 to 10.8, from 12.5 to 16.5 - you are eating way too many carbs and that is the bottom line;
2] Record on a compute or just on paper...date, time, what you eat and the readings before and after - no need then for everyone else's opinion..you will see for yourself how well you respond to less (or no carbs)
3] Give up/ greatly reduce the following - bread, cereal, rice, pasta, spuds/chips and anything which says its more than 10g carbohydrate per 100 grams on the label
4] investigate what you can eat (there's plenty)
5] At least make a start and see if there's a difference over a week and then work at it
6] Take the pills regularly at times that are practical....but..it's diet that will make most difference
7] Be mindful that if your blood sugar goes too low it can cause hypos
8] Try it
9] Try now
10] Good luck

Reactions: kokhongw

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Notlob

It took me several years to get my act together, too. It can be done.
Well done on your weight loss.
Some good advice already been given. The testing blood glucose and recording what you eat to give yourself a clear picture of what is going on there is particularly important. As for the medication, would a dosette box help? You can get them cheaply at pharmacies and pound stores. Some have individual clip off sections so you can take them out with you rather than carry the lot round. As already mentioned an alarm on mobile phone to remind you when it is time to take them. You can soon develop a routine then.

Reactions: pleinster

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Notlob I take 2 metformin a day too. Breakfast have 1 and dinner 2 nd. Therefore there is no thinking it is habitual behaviour. I keep mine in my handbag so readily available.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Taking pills will not bring down your blood sugars to normal levels. To do this your have to change your diet. Having a HbA1C at 90 after 7 years is shockingly high. You risk serious complications such as nerve damage if this continues.

My HbA1C was 99 at diagnosis and 59 three months later. I hope to get it under 48 at my next blood test in May. The way I am managing my blood sugar is via a Low Carb High Fat diet. I have cut out breakfast cereals, potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, fruit juice.

You need to get a blood glucose meter and check your levels before and two hours after meals. If you are on gliclazide then you need to be careful if you go low carb that your sugars don't go too low, so gradually change your diet and reduce your gliclazide if it is no longer needed.

Reactions: kokhongw

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Notlob

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I keep my pills by my car keys at night so that I never forget to take them in the morning. Then I have another set by my phone charger so I take my pills at night too.
I have also struggled with getting my illness under control for nearly 8 years now but I have started with LCHF and have seen immediate effects on my sugar levels. So much so that my nurse took the gliclazide away this week. I cannot tell you just how great it makes you feel to get off the drugs.

Reactions: Pipp