8 year old type 1

Nicolaredfern

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm new to this but wanted to know If any one was having simular problems to my 8 year old daughter she has been type 1 for 4 years now and she has never been stable really she's on nova rapid 4 times a day and Lantous at night she is a fantastic little girl that never moans. But lately been worried about het she's been put on movicol up to 5 times a day and not doing too had off it but isn't very keen on it but can't come off it as she will be very constipated and her blows can also go low so they are below 4 and even after treatment and waiting 15 mins she can be re tested and but lower still I was wondering if any one else had the same problems please xxx

Thanks xx

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haven't experienced this (on a pump) But maybe try posting in the parents section :) They may be able to offer some insight

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I suffered horrendous problems with impacted faeces... Due solely to the jelly babies I was having as hypo stoppers. (Recommended by Consultants & Dsn's).

Eventually I recognised a pattern of highs when my stomach was suffering badly..

I had tests done and diagnosed with slow colonic transit. The gastric chappy said"has anything changed in your diet?" I went away and thought... Yes jelly babies.....

It took nigh on 18months for my stomach to recover, but I have not needed a movicol for 8 months now.

If going low, itmay be that your childs stomach has emptied... So to speak..

Has a diagnosis been given as to what is the cause of the constipation?

A friends young boy has been on movicol for years-he now 11 because he was also eating a horrendous diet, but also lots of jelly tots, jelly beans etc. he is now down to 1/2 a sachet a day and no jelly sweets and a better diet.

It may well be that your child needing more insulin because of foods travelling slowly through stomach.. Then when moving out that levels plummet..

Is there any patterns at all? Have you had a diagnosis why constipated. 5 movicol for a youngster is quite a lot.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App