800 cal daily diet; Filling food ideas?

Nicki.T

Hi all - I've been 'Type 2' for about 4 years and on the tablets for the last year after failing to control things with my diet. I'm now gearing up for a low cal diet in an attempt to back peddle myself out of this situation. Anyone got any filling food ideas? or can you point me in the right direction please? Ta x

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all - I've been 'Type 2' for about 4 years and on the tablets for the last year after failing to control things with my diet. I'm now gearing up for a low cal diet in an attempt to back peddle myself out of this situation. Anyone got any filling food ideas? or can you point me in the right direction please? Ta x
There are quite a few recipes in Michael Mosley's book: the 8-week Blood Sugar Diet.

Some of them are reprinted in a series of articles in the Daily Mail. The spicy chicken and lentils (Sunday dinner) is very filling. The pepper with jeweled feta is less filling - but one of the most delicious things I've eaten! There are several articles, so more than one week's worth of recipes is available with a search.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Put a teaspoon psyllium husks into a drink, stir, drink as normal.

The fibre prevents constipation (which is useful) but it is also very filling. The husks have no flavour and no calories. Unusual texture, but you get used to it.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
water - can be very filling - not a joke I am serious

Nicki.T

There are quite a few recipes in Michael Mosley's book: the 8-week Blood Sugar Diet.

Some of them are reprinted in a series of articles in the Daily Mail. The spicy chicken and lentils (Sunday dinner) is very filling. The pepper with jeweled feta is less filling - but one of the most delicious things I've eaten! There are several articles, so more than one week's worth of recipes is available with a search.

Thanks Neohdriver, I've read the M.M book and have been inspired and motivated - I'm not much impressed with the recipes though. Admittedly, I've not tried the chicken one as I've never been a big fan of lentils, but on your recommendation I'll give it a go. I'll also force myself to read the Daily Mail article. Cheers for the info x

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Neohdriver, I've read the M.M book and have been inspired and motivated - I'm not much impressed with the recipes though. Admittedly, I've not tried the chicken one as I've never been a big fan of lentils, but on your recommendation I'll give it a go. I'll also force myself to read the Daily Mail article. Cheers for the info x

I cook my lentils from scratch - most of the time I make it I use broth to cook the lentils which adds a bit of flavor. They only take about 20 minutes to cook.

What kinds of foods do you like?
Two things I can thing of off the top of my head that I make that are (mostly) consistent with the diet:
Thai currys (meat + a can of coconut milk + a few tablespoons of a Thai curry paste + veggies)
Buffalo chicken "dip" (It's intended as a dip - but I use it as a meal). (shredded chicken, Frank's buffalo wing sauce, cream cheese (I use neufchatel to stay within the calorie cont), ranch dressing (I use fat free to stay within the calorie count), topped with a bit of cheese and baked. Just search for buffalo chicken dip - lots of recipes will pop up.

I put both of the above on top of shiratake or kelp noodles. Shiratake are a bit rubbery - like rice noodles so they go well with the Thai currys. The texture of kelp noodles if you soak them a bit is closer to real pasta. If you don't soak them, kelp noodles are a bit crunch, and add a nice texture to salads. (Neither has much taste - both are 0 calorie/0 carb foods)

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Hi I'm T2 dx 2007 BS suddenly shot up after quitting smoking - I am currently on 800 call a day via Michael Mosley's 8 week Blood Sugar Diet which is hugely informative about the why's, wherefores etc of diabetes and the diet and foods to eat - with some excellent diet plans.

Nicki.T

I cook my lentils from scratch - most of the time I make it I use broth to cook the lentils which adds a bit of flavor. They only take about 20 minutes to cook.

What kinds of foods do you like?
Two things I can thing of off the top of my head that I make that are (mostly) consistent with the diet:
Thai currys (meat + a can of coconut milk + a few tablespoons of a Thai curry paste + veggies)
Buffalo chicken "dip" (It's intended as a dip - but I use it as a meal). (shredded chicken, Frank's buffalo wing sauce, cream cheese (I use neufchatel to stay within the calorie cont), ranch dressing (I use fat free to stay within the calorie count), topped with a bit of cheese and baked. Just search for buffalo chicken dip - lots of recipes will pop up.

I put both of the above on top of shiratake or kelp noodles. Shiratake are a bit rubbery - like rice noodles so they go well with the Thai currys. The texture of kelp noodles if you soak them a bit is closer to real pasta. If you don't soak them, kelp noodles are a bit crunch, and add a nice texture to salads. (Neither has much taste - both are 0 calorie/0 carb foods)

I'm definitely up for some currys! I'm still getting flashbacks from the few weeks I experimented with kelp noodles though. Nobody will ever persuade me try those again. *shudders*

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicki.T

You may be surprised how flavours change quite radically when you're on, for starters, a very low calorie diet and secondly a lowish carb one.

Regarding 'filling up' and / or hunger, I am on my second bout of this diet. In the first one I lost c33lbs and had all manner of positive effects. But I still had over a stone of excess weight to lose and I wanted my FBG a little lower. So I started again after a one month break.

This time round I'm combining the low cal diet with the 16/8 fast and it is definitely considerably easier this time. First time I didn't particularly struggle to manage hunger - but the hunger was definitely present. This time, skipping breakfast completely and not eating anything until 12.30 / 1pm I've found I just don't really experience hunger. Not in anything like the same way anyway.

Good luck with your goals.

Good tip Ed. Thanks x

Last edited by a moderator:

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm definitely up for some currys! I'm still getting flashbacks from the few weeks I experimented with kelp noodles though. Nobody will ever persuade me try those again. *shudders*
Just out of curiosity - what's the shudder about?

(I know some people don't like them however they tried them, and not realize that the unsoaked and soaked are two very different beasties. So if it's texture, the soaked/simmered noodles may leave a very different impression.)

clare56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like savoury food and have been filling up on Asda protein pots - particularly the thai green curry one. (about 225 cals) and I've treated myself to some M & S Balanced for You meals too. Love the Keralan curry about 300 cals, though they are a bit pricy.