A bit confused ( yes ... again)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
This morning my blood glucose ... an hour after breakfast ... had risen from 5.7 up to 10.6.
I usually test after two hours, but decided to try after an hour,
Three quarters of an hour after that I tested again and it was 7.5
What I'm concerned about is the fact it was so high (for me) after one hour.
Is this normal or should it not have got that high, and is it okay to have a reading that high if it's back down 45 mins later?
I have never tested after one hour and now I'm worried that it's spiking too high and doing damage.
Please can someone advise me on this.
Thanking you all in advance.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning my blood glucose ... an hour after breakfast ... had risen from 5.7 up to 10.6.
I usually test after two hours, but decided to try after an hour,
Three quarters of an hour after that I tested again and it was 7.5
What I'm concerned about is the fact it was so high (for me) after one hour.
Is this normal or should it not have got that high, and is it okay to have a reading that high if it's back down 45 mins later?
I have never tested after one hour and now I'm worried that it's spiking too high and doing damage.
Please can someone advise me on this.
Thanking you all in advance.

if you eat a lot of carbs I guess it is (normal but dangerous) .... what did you actually eat for breakfast all inclucive ?

the best is if your meals don´t shoot up more than 2.0 mmol on top of the level you were before the meal , and not over a total of 7,5mmol ... but rather under 7mmol

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when did you measure your morning blood glucose ? and how much time was it before you had your breakfast thereafter ?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
when did you measure your morning blood glucose ? and how much time was it before you had your breakfast thereafter ?
I tested about 10 minutes after I got up, then had my breakfast a few minutes later ... no more than 10 mins later. I had my usual breakfast of home made muesli, and I usually don't test until two hours later ... when it is normally down to about 5.2 ( I rarely test at breakfast so don't know how much it would vary day to day)
. If I had only tested after the usual two hours then I'd have not been concerned as it was down to 7.5 by then. Should I be testing hourly instead of two hourly do you think?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what does your homemade müesli contain of different foods..?

if you have dried fruits in take them out, they are bad for diabetes...

if you have nuts in ... you could add more ..

if you have oat, which you of cause have, then put less in and put more seeds in ...because they are high in fats...and proteins...

but maybe your amount of carbs in the portion size you eat is just to much, and you could eat less if you ate your müsli with Greek fullfat youghurt instead of milk (which also contains some milk-sugar)

traditional müsli is a high carb meal.... so the amount do matter...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oat is on the other hand a healthy food it contains so many fibres and magnesium .. so if you do not want to be totally low carb high fat... oat is also a good kind of food in smaller amount

http://www.nutrientfacts.com/

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
if you eat a lot of carbs I guess it is (normal but dangerous) .... what did you actually eat for breakfast all inclucive ?

the best is if your meals don´t shoot up more than 2.0 mmol on top of the level you were before the meal , and not over a total of 7,5mmol ... but rather under 7mmol
Freema ... when I look at the two hour testings, none of them shoot up more than 2.0 mmol but now that I've tried testing halfway between the two it hass shown me a totally different picture of how my body is reacting so now I'm concerned. Does anyone else get this happening?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
what does your homemade müesli contain of different foods..?

if you have dried fruits in take them out, they are bad for diabetes...

if you have nuts in ... you could add more ..

if you have oat, which you of cause have, then put less in and put more seeds in ...because they are high in fats...and proteins...

but maybe your amount of carbs in the portion size you eat is just to much, and you could eat less if you ate your müsli with Greek fullfat youghurt instead of milk (which also contains some milk-sugar)

traditional müsli is a high carb meal.... so the amount do matter...
My muesli I make from a recipe in a Diabetic cook book ... Rye Flakes, Oats, A few Raisons and Cranberries, Chia Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds,Flax Seeds and then I add a few fresh Blueberries, plus two dried Apricots cut into small pieces. I don't use normal milk. I use Almond milk. I always eat a small handful of nuts afterwards ... walnuts, brazils, hazlenuts and almonds.

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes it is hard to figure out excactly when the highest spike is... but when using the slower carbs like oat and fibre filled carbs in general a Little over 1 hour is a good guess..

diabetis cookbooks .....well what quality garantee is there that it is a good diabetic cookbook..
most official diabetes cookbooks recomend 70% carbs in ones food.... on that food most diabetics will never get their blood glucose down to a normal level like other people not having diabetes---

well ....... which kind of longterm effects would one like to choose then ...?

how many grams of sugar is in this breakfast meal... one dietist told me at the highest 5 grams of sugar in one meal... but that is a lot if it is sugar like in sweetened fruits on top of what is naturaly in all the other ingredients

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes you should be testing at 1 hour. The spike you saw has probably always been there with that food. At 2 hours you have come down from the spike. 10 is too high and is telling you that is not a good food for you. You should be testing every new or previously untested food at first bite, 1 hour, and 2 hours until you know what foods do to you. That is what eating to your meter is. It does no good for people to tell you what to eat or not eat and what someone else does has no bearing on your body.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to echo what chalup said - I use exactly that protocol, with an additional test at 3 hour if my 2 hours test is higher than my one hour test.

My personal tolerance for 1 hours is 7.8, chosen because that is the level at which damage is well documented (at least for persistent blood glucose levels that high). If anything I eat elevates it above that level, I either don't eat that food again or I cut the quantity down significantly.

Your curve is within the formally recommended curve (below 10 by 2 hours). I just don't happen to believe that is a healthy curve - so I am for completely normal blood glucose levels. People without diabetes rarely, if ever, go above 7.8. You'll have to make your own decision - but whatever you decide, knowledge is power, so test more!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just to echo what chalup said - I use exactly that protocol, with an additional test at 3 hour if my 2 hours test is higher than my one hour test.

My personal tolerance for 1 hours is 7.8, chosen because that is the level at which damage is well documented (at least for persistent blood glucose levels that high). If anything I eat elevates it above that level, I either don't eat that food again or I cut the quantity down significantly.

Your curve is within the formally recommended curve (below 10 by 2 hours). I just don't happen to believe that is a healthy curve - so I am for completely normal blood glucose levels. People without diabetes rarely, if ever, go above 7.8. You'll have to make your own decision - but whatever you decide, knowledge is power, so test more!
Thank you for this advise Neohdiver. I really want to keep my levels below 7.8 at all times. I've tried my usual muesli breakfast in a smaller breakfast dish ... removed the dried apricots and the blueberries, and added about 6 fresh raspberries this morning. I will test within the hour to see if a difference has occured.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for this advise Neohdiver. I really want to keep my levels below 7.8 at all times. I've tried my usual muesli breakfast in a smaller breakfast dish ... removed the dried apricots and the blueberries, and added about 6 fresh raspberries this morning. I will test within the hour to see if a difference has occured.

You may find you need to lose the rye and oat flakes. For a while, I tried to have a bit of muesli mixed in with my yogurt, and as little as 2 tablespoons was too much because of the grains. But I'm glad for the reminder - it's been most of a year since I tried that combination, and my tolerance seems to have gone up about 25% . . . maybe I can actually have a little bit now!

Just keep testing things. There are lots of yummy thing you will be able to eat, so even though I had to give up muesli, I haven't felt deprived (with the exception of having to give up bread :( )

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find it easier to ditch the museli altogether and have a far less carby breakfast. Eggs or bacon.. I'm not sure how you are trying to control your blood sugars but carbs are just not good so best avoided.