A bit of success

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ever since I've had diabetes I always have a hypo on a Wednesday night which is the night I do Cub Scouts. Its not particularly demanding but I'm on my feet and moving around alot so I guess this causes it.
Also since I've had diabetes I have never had an overnight camp with them as I was too worried about going low and making sure that I had all of my stuff with me.
This weekend I had my first camp and everything went smoothly which I'm so happy about.
It was only a one nighter but no hypos in sight!
I was going low at one point after lifting a heavy tent around but I managed to catch it with a quick snack.
Also had a cycle yesterday morning as part of our weekend and didn't go low during that either.
Sounds stupid but at least it is a bit of progress as this is something that has caused me real issues since I was diagnosed.
Now I just need to make sure I don't have one on Wednesday!!

Reactions: 9 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is great news, sometimes just having a snack can make all the difference. On the Wednesday night try reducing your bolus dose by 50%, you might also want to eat a small snack like a banana to keep your levels up, remember each journey begins with a single step..............

Reactions: 2 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is great news, sometimes just having a snack can make all the difference. On the Wednesday night try reducing your bolus dose by 50%, you might also want to eat a small snack like a banana to keep your levels up, remember each journey begins with a single step..............

I've tried reducing the bolus before and the opposite happened :banghead: but I may try again. The consultant even recommended reducing my Lantus that day but I've not had the guts to try that. Going on my pump soon so hoping this will help with these instances too.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've tried reducing the bolus before and the opposite happened :banghead: but I may try again. The consultant even recommended reducing my Lantus that day but I've not had the guts to try that. Going on my pump soon so hoping this will help with these instances too.

It's getting the balance right, you could just try a 20% reduction and see how you get on, but without a shadow of doubt a pump will help in fine tuning insulin for when you are active. Have you been given a date to change over to the pump?

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's getting the balance right, you could just try a 20% reduction and see how you get on, but without a shadow of doubt a pump will help in fine tuning insulin for when you are active. Have you been given a date to change over to the pump?
I'm really hoping it does make a difference in these situations but hopefully I might have cracked it with the small snack in the meantime.
I am going on a saline start on Thursday 13th November with the insulin going in from Monday 17th November.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Why worry about reducing the Lantus a bit on Wednesday? The only effect will be a small increase in background blood sugar that day.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm really hoping it does make a difference in these situations but hopefully I might have cracked it with the small snack in the meantime.
I am going on a saline start on Thursday 13th November with the insulin going in from Monday 17th November.

Well not long to wait :)

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Why worry about reducing the Lantus a bit on Wednesday? The only effect will be a small increase in background blood sugar that day.
That was my thought also but I will try a small snack between now and my pump when I could just reduce my basal for a couple of hours on that day.