A Carbohydrate Experiment

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
What with one thing and another (weather, cold and greed being 3 of them!) I ended up after Christmas with more carbohydrates in my diet than usual - up to 150g per day rather than 50g or below.

As I couldn't seem to discipline myself back into my Atkins-type ways, I decided to use the period between HbA1cs as an experiment. I had one HbA1c immediately pre-Christmas; the next was due at the end of March but ended up (because of an altercation between the car and a snow-drift :roll: ) being delayed until the end of April.

On that amount of carbohydrate I expected two things to happen - my HbA1c to rise, and my cholesterol/lipid profile to be a disaster. I got my results today.

Imagine my surprise to find that my HbA1c had improved - down from 5.7 before Xmas to 5.4 last week! :shock: :p This despite the fact that my morning fasting levels were slightly up, though still within the diabetic target range. My afternoon readings were still in the low 5s/high 4s, though. It seems as if two years of very-low-carb have greatly improved my insulin resistance, which seems to have decreased.

As for the cholesterol/lipid profile: my results before Xmas were as follows:

Total: 4.9
Triglycerides: 1.00
HDL: 1.6
LDL: 2.86

Total:HDL ratio: 3.1

These figures are good; some would say the "total" figure should be lower, but the others are all on target and the Total:HDL is very good indeed.

On 4 months of increased carbohydrate:

Total: 5.6
Triglycerides: 1.4
HDL: 1.3
LDL: 3.7

Total:HDL ratio: 4.3

Total has gone up; also triglycerides and LDL (the baddies). HDL (the goody) has dropped, though still on target (above 1.2). The Total:HDL ratio is still on target, though higher than last time (target is below 5). Not quite the disaster I was expecting, but not good.

I managed to maintain my pre-Xmas weight by a dint of cutting back on the red wine. :crazy:

I know that this is in no way scientific, and I expect to be shot down in flames by the scientists among you - but to my mind it demonstrates, to me if no-one else, that carbohydrates are bad for my cholesterol. :eh: :think:

I've already decreased my carb intake as the weather warms up, because I need to lose lots more weight and I know that Atkins works for me (particularly if I don't drink :roll: :oops: :wink: ). It will be interesting to see what happens at my next blood tests, at the end of August.

The nurse and I have decided to drop my HbA1c to 3 times a year instead of 4; note that this still lets me get the test in just before Christmas so I can cheat a bit over the holiday. 8) :shock:

Viv 8)

edited for PS: I'm still diabetic; if I go on eating too many carbs for my system, the insulin resistance will undoubtedly creep back.

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for posting that, more LDL and less HDL conspired to push up your risk of cardiovascular disease thanks to the carbs :(

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Hi Viv,

I am very interested in your experiences with increased carbs. Until I joined this forum a month or so ago I was consuming about 200g of carb per day. I now realize that it was probably too much, BUT having said that, I 'lost' my diabetes on that sort of daily consumption. I am now down to about 150g a day, it sometimes goes lower, but not by much. I did try to get it lower and then wondered if I should just eat what I normally do to see what affect it would have on my next blood test later this month. I eventually decided to sit somewhere just over the middle. I have given up bananas and grapes and Just about given up biscuits. I still have 60g of porridge in the morning, and I eat potatoes, rice and pasta. 100g of the first, 40g of the others. If my next test shows I am still clear does that mean I could have eaten more of the things I decided to give up? Perhaps I should get a new battery for my blood test meter, I havn't used it for over a year and it would need new test strips too.
Please let us know how this pans out.

Lee

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Lee

In your place I would resurrect your meter and keep a closer eye on things.

We are all different in the amount of carbohydrates we can eat, and I have no doubt that if I decided to keep to 150g daily I would certainly put on weight, and my blood glucose levels would creep up again - including my HbA1c. The extra weight would probably go on me as internal fat in the first place, and it seems that fat around significant organs (liver and pancreas) is a prime cause of Type 2. If I tell you that I have lost 4 stone so far and only dropped 1 dress size, you will realise how much internal fat I was carrying :shock: . I now have to get rid of the external fat! :lol:

You may be able to eat more carbs than me. The only way to check that is to test to find out which foods you can safely eat. There is some thought that spiking very high, even if you then drop quickly back to lower levels, may do the damage that contributes to diabetic complications.

The HbA1c is, after all, only an average. It doesn't tell you your highs and lows, just smooths out the curve. While I test much less now than I did in the beginning, I still like to do a full week's tests every now and again, just to check. I also tend to "cheat" less if I'm testing. :roll:

As for "pans out" - I hope to lose another stone this year, so it's back on the Atkins for me. I'm very comfortable on very-low-carb - I've just been comfort eating because of the depressing weather up to now.

Viv 8)

lrw60

Dislikes
Thanks Viv. I am not sure how dress sizes work, us males aren't as clever as we make out, but my waist went from 40" when I was 17 1/2 stone to 32" with the need of a belt as a 12 1/2 stone. I can get into 30" without it being too tight. 150g of carb a day is allowing me to lose about 1/2 pound a week. If I went back up to 200g a day I think my weight would stay about the same. Now the good weather is here I am hoping to get in some nice long walks, a bit difficult with very painfull arthritic big toes! I asked the doctor if I could have them amputated. He said no, I need them to stand up and walk.
Lee

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Dress sizes go up (or down) in 2-inch increments. I had (still have!) a lot of weight to lose, but have got my BMI down from 48 to 38 - so a very long way still to go. It just fascinates me that I've lost so much but hardly changed size - though my shape has definitely changed, it now goes in and out in all the right places. :D Before, I was pretty well straight-up-and-down.

Your internal fat was obviously not as well-established as mine - that's a brilliant weight loss and a great size change - 8 inches off your waist! That's 4 clothing sizes.

I too expect than when I've lost even more weight and got down to my target (160lbs will do for a first target!) I'll be able to eat more carbs than I do now. In the meantime, I'm going to stick to my Atkins-based very-low-carb. And no red wine :( .

Viv 8)

Finzi

Hi Viv - my BMI started at 48 as well, but I haven't done as well as you (yet) - its hovering just above 40, and I can't wait for it to be in the thirties where, IIRC, we change from "morbidly obese" to just "obese" :)

(Incidentally, I've gone from a size 28 to a size 22)

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

lrw60

Dislikes
I must admit to being very uninterested in what I used to wear. So long as it covered the bits I didn't want the sun to get to, everything, ginger hair you see, then I would slob about in most things. Now I can buy clothes that fit I have changed my tune a bit. Like you, I am now going in and out in the right places, unlike you, that is almost straight up and down! :thumbup: The weight loss is such a good thing for diabetics that I believe we should get state sponsorship. Losing weight must reduce relience on the NHS for a lot of us.
Keep up the good work Viv.
Lee.

Dusty2000

Dislikes
Rudeness. Arrogance. Tuna. Fish with a face. Eggs.
I am definitely going. Low carb. Have put a lot of weight on and only way I feel I will lose is reducing my carb intake and amount of insulin I inject. It's such a vicious cycle but determined not to let it beat me

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App