1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

a comprehensive list of pharmacies providing Libre at cost price

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by himtoo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Abbott have been flogging this to us for a while for £50 and whilst the materials cost may have been higher at the start, mass production would have driven this down. I've taken an applicator and sensor apart and it all seems to be made in China. I'd guess the materials cost of a sensor kit to be in the region of £10 max. I think Abbott will have covered the development costs several times over by now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #41 urbanracer, Aug 26, 2018 at 11:02 AM
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just been reading an article where the author was saying that in the U.S. she was buying the sensors for $40 (£31.17). She seemed to thing prices were similar. Obviously she didn't google the exchange rate.
    They only made about $ 1/2 billion last year. If I had the cash, they're the shares for me. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  3. keasta

keasta · Newbie

Libre censor being sold in ASDA old Kent road London £44 each, minimum order 2, pay upfront

4. Bon83

Bon83 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Interesting- I have bought a sensor from boots before and wanted another for some long run training. I don't need to use libre all the time I don't mind finger tests that much. I was told they can't sell they can only order them for people with prescriptions. There is a shortage and they need to prioritise those who need them. I wasn't rude i didn't say anything but I think she saw my face - and said I know you may need one ermm sorry. I'm not sure my gp may prescribe one for when I fancy long runs just so I don't have to finger prick every 30 mins or so but may give it a go lol

• Like Like x 2
  5. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I bought my last one from my local Boots two weeks ago. They know how many they are likely to prescribe or sell in one month and usually have one or two in stock, not always, but usually.

This excuse given by other branches of Boots as well doesn't seem to have got to my branch, I even asked the pharmacist directly. I don't think he got the memo. It's possible that as it's a small branch and I know all the staff well enough to be on first names terms they don't lie to me about getting them for prescription only. They have even told me how few prescriptions for the Libre they fill each month.

It would be nice if we all had exactly the same experience wherever we lived.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BloodThirsty

BloodThirsty · Well-Known Member

I suspect that it won't be long before other strip manufacturers recognise a serious gap in their offerings and produce a competitive product.

However, if conventional strip pricing is anything to go by, these providers will form themselves into a tacit cartel to all share in these wonderful profits.

So, business as usual but at least supply will improve.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

You have to be careful with the US numbers quoted. They're often not plain OTC prices and have an insurance contribution that reduces the payable amount.

8. Johncarry

Johncarry Type 2 · Newbie

Offshore Cheap Meds is the only pharmacy that I can trust in it. Because they are accredited by PharmacyChecker.

9. LakeTahoeBob

LakeTahoeBob Prediabetes · Member

10. LakeTahoeBob

LakeTahoeBob Prediabetes · Member

US prices are pretty high- from a low of $30 per sensor to more than $100 per sensor.

11. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook