A Day in the Life of your Diabetes

benedict

Administrator
We're looking to see what's its really like to be living with diabetes and would like to hear what is a day in the life of your diabetes.

There are sometimes misconceptions about the scale of how much diabetes plays a part in people's lives. The thread could also serve as a good reference for people that are new to diabetes and want to know what it may involve from different perspectives.

It would be great to see a 24 hour period if you have time to put a day's entry together.

How do different levels make you feel?
Which thoughts affect your meal choices?
What considerations of your diabetes do you make for specific events? -eg driving, meetings
Whether diabetes makes certain aspects of life difficult?
What diabetes considerations affect food shopping?

Also, please state which type of diabetes you have and you may want to state your age (or rough age) if you feel it's appropriate.

With many thanks
Benedict

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Well I'm almost four years in now and diabetes makes absolutely no difference to my life whatsoever, it hasnt always been like this though and I well remember how confused and scared I was when first diagnosed, at that time diabetes made a huge impact on my life.

When first diagnosed I was put on an insulin basal/bolus regime and was testing on average 7 times a day and having to stick to a strict diet and eat at set times as I was very anal about both my diet and the times I took my insulin, everything I did was planned around my meals and the timings of my injections, appointments were set so as not to be within a couple of hours of meal times and packed lunches were made when I went out so that I knew I had the food that I could eat with me, but even then I tried not to let it be my only focus in life and still did everything I had done before, just with more planning.

By sticking strictly to a three meal a day with no snacks and eating only healthy whole foods where possible and drastically reducing the amount of food I was eating I managed to lose weight which in turn reduced my insulin resistance which enabled me to wean myself off insulin after about 12 months. During those 12 months when diabetes was a major part of my life I had been testing about 7 or 8 times a day every day and had tested just about every food I ate in every possible combination and portion size until I got to a point where I knew what amount of any carby food I could eat in any meal.

With the exception of pasta, which is now a once in a while treat and I accept that when I do eat it I will suffer high bg levels for a few hours, no foods are totally off menu for me so as I have no special food requirements and no longer test my bg levels except maybe once a week now or more often if I feel ill I am happy to say that I dont give my diabetes a second thought nowadays.

I know I am diabetic but TBH it is the least of my health problems but it was the only one I could actively do something myself to help control, sadly arthritis is what it is and theres not much I can do about that and the same is true of my bronchiectasis and COPD, OK the COPD is almost certainly down to the fact that I smoked for 45 years and I stopped as soon as I was told that I had COPD which hopefully will slow down any progression even if it wont cure it. The bronchiectasis they say was caused by my working with chemicals over the years in my business and with hindsight if I had my time again I would take more precautions when working with toxic chemicals and solvents but whats done is done and I cant change that so all I do is try to make the best of it.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Benedict,

I was told that I was diabetes type 2, six months ago. (age 64)
Doctors advice was to look at this web site and she also set it up for me to go on a Desmond coarse.She told me to return in 3 months for next blood test.
Luckily I looked at this site and gained good advice well before the Desmond coarse which was very negative.

I immediately went on a vegan, no sugar and no fat/oil diet which revealed a excellent result from the first 3 month test. ( I am not a vegan).

I have now reached my BMI requirements, I also feel quite healthy.

It is not good news that type 2 diebetes have to buy our own B/S meters etc; I a view to control diabetes.

Roy.

Defren

benedict said:
We're looking to see what's its really like to be living with diabetes and would like to hear what is a day in the life of your diabetes.

There are sometimes misconceptions about the scale of how much diabetes plays a part in people's lives. The thread could also serve as a good reference for people that are new to diabetes and want to know what it may involve from different perspectives.

It would be great to see a 24 hour period if you have time to put a day's entry together.

I have quite tight control now, so don't go high, I have gone low once or twice and felt a bit dizzy etc, but it passes quickly.

benedict said:

How many carbs would that meal contain. If to many I don't have it, or reduce the portion of all the higher carb foods. I live completely by daily carb intake

benedict said:
What considerations of your diabetes do you make for specific events? -eg driving, meetings

None, as I am aware that I can go long periods without eating with no ill effects.

benedict said:

Initially - yes, until by testing I learned what I could eat. Now I rule diabetes, it does not rule me.

benedict said:

None now as I know what I can eat, I just pick mainly organic meat and veg, then full fat yogurt, add some cream and berries and that's me sorted. These are all foods I know are safe, and I can make all kinds of dishes with them, just add herbs and spices and it's simple.

benedict said:
Also, please state which type of diabetes you have and you may want to state your age (or rough age) if you feel it's appropriate.

I am 46 and T2.

benedict said:
With many thanks
Benedict

[edit to add] I bake a lot, so also buy ingredients for baking. I have bread, cakes, cookies, muffins all kinds of treats, but I bake them all myself. I like to know what I am eating, as I have removed all grains and milk from my diet, and only eat clean now. I never ever touch any foods that are prepackaged, apart from a very odd piece of cheese. I am now so fit and healthy, I refuse to put any chemicals/preservatives in my body. If it isn't clean, fresh, nutritious and wholesome, I don't eat it.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
benedict said:

With many thanks
Benedict

Hmmm ... thought provoking. Firstly, 'living with diabetes' ... well, since diagnosis I feel psychologically better and far LESS scared because at least now I know WHAT I'm living with and that meant I could look for appropriate resources (like this forum) and information (also from this forum). Waiting for a proper diagnosis has been one hell of a journey for me and I think it's a totally unnecessary journey. I think it's down to VERY POOR DIAGNOSTICS.

I was told very casually by my GP (I won't use the word 'advised' because my GP did not give me any advice) that I was 'borderline' diabetic over 20 years ago but that was it. No advice, no monitoring, nothing. And there was no internet at the time either and to be honest I thought it was about as serious as being told I had a common cold. I've had many symptoms and have developed other medical conditions over those 20 years and the latest in the list is a possible hysterectomy. Personally I think they're all related to UNDIAGNOSED diabetes and I really resent the term LATE ONSET DIABETES, I regard is as LATE DIAGNOSED DIABETES.

Since being diagnosed I've learned what to eat, what not to eat, how to test, when to test, as well as receiving a wealth of TOTALLY APPROPRIATE and VERY HELPFUL information from members of this forum.

My main problem is still fatigue, that's slowly improving, but it's still a big problem for me.
My levels are usually between 7.5 down to 6.1 on average but they started out at 12-13 as far as I can tell from my very first test at home.

To be honest I notice more discomfort when I'm at the lower levels when I feel jittery and my mouth tingles. I hate that feeling. Before diagnosis and Metformin I was getting to a stage when I dreaded eating because I felt so bloated and exhausted afterwards. The bloating doesn't happen when I eat LCHF but I'm still generally exhausted and that really annoys me. I want to exercise but I get whacked out just mopping the kitchen floor. :(

When choosing and buying food, I think in terms of - protein, fats and carbs in that order and I scrutinise the carbs and fats section of every packaged item before I buy it. If it's not low-very low carb it doesn't go in my trolley. 'My trolley is my body' has become my shopping mantra.

My meal choices are based on 'What protein do I feel like today and what can I do with it?' And that's about it where cooking is concerned. No different to before - I just don't have the carbs and I eat more fat and a couple of cups of coffee with single cream a day is having a wonderful effect on my skin - it's now very very soft.

As far as driving is concerned, I love driving but I've ALWAYS taken care not to drive if I feel MENTALLY tired as well as physically tired. I do need lots of sleep, if I don't get enough sleep at night then I feel very nauseous next day. I don't quite know how nausea equates with lack of sleep or diabetes but it's a definite result for me if I lose sleep. But since diagnosis and LCHF and Metformin I have slept through EVERY night for the first time in about 15 years because before that I was up 2-3 times a night going to the loo.

Hope that's helpful :)

MaryJ

Hi Benedict

T2 44

Conciously, I don't now think about it all - (apart from coming on here), I know what I can and can't eat and stick to it. If I'm having wine with a meal I will allow myself some extra carbs if I fancy it.

Initially, it affected my every waking moment. I was diagnosed just before Christmas last year, I was obsessed with food and readings. I talked about it constantly and basically 'did my families heads in'.

Shopping is easy - stick to what I know. High carb things don't go in the trolley, my hubby is very supportive and has adopted a similar diet to me.

Driving, no issues. I drive for my job and to be honest - knowing which supermarkets have the closest/nicest toilets has more of an impact than my diabetes.

Work - As above although my lunch is very much planned. Can't rely on supermarkets for a 'grab and go' lunch.

Mary x

Mileana

benedict said:

I am living with bipolar as well as diabetes and it can sometimes affect each other one way or the other - when I am depressed, I will crave foods that are not good for my diabetes. When I have high blood sugars, I can get quite upbeat or irritable depending on my sleep patterns at the time. When I get low, I will feel like I have lost my ability to coordinate my movements, think straight, walk straight. It happens a lot just these days because I am 1.5 LADA diabetic - my pancreas cannot decide if it wants to produce insulin or not, so finding the right amount to inject can sometimes be difficult.

I try to avoid too big amounts of carbs in the same meal - I want to keep my after-meal levels sensible, which for me means below 7. I do eat 5-6 meals a day because my insulin reaction can be rather unpredictable, so I think having less insulin per meal makes 'mistakes' have less impact. I inject about 8 times a day.

Most of what I do during the day I will be fine as long as I keep a bit of glucose on hand. I do test often. When I go for long walks - 7-8 miles, I will need to reduce my basal insulin to avoid hypos. I generally refuse to let my diabetes limit me, but the nature of 1.5 can sometimes make things tricky.

I would prefer at this point if my pancreas would just die. As soon as I have something figured out with regards to insulin regime, my body will decide it is time for another burst of 'homemade' insulin - then once I adjust to that, it will stop doing it again, so there is a lot of tampering with getting things right. I have had loads of nighttime lows recently, so I have had to loosen my control to avoid it a bit - this doesn't make me particularly happy. Juggling two conditions that both affect mood can be tricky. Work can be tricky when my blood sugar is off, and waking up at 3-4 am in a terror does not make working any easier.

Not so many, really, apart from I have a healthier diet now - I always include veg. I have meal times - can't just be 'too busy to eat' anymore. I can eat anything, but it's not everything I choose to eat very often.

1.5 LADA (slow onset type 1, pancreas dying over months/years instead of 'instantly) - I am 33.

I get up at 8, inject my long-acting and short-acting for breakfast and test my bg level before and after. Then I head for work. Before lunch, I will test my levels again - I will normally go hypo sometime during the morning though. Then after work, I have a piece of fruit or something to last me to dinner. I eat a snack before bedtime, then test my levels and go to sleep. In between, there's work and walks and seeing friends and then in the night, I have not had any problems for the first 6 months, but now recently it's been a bit of hassle to get insulin doses right as I mentioned.

With many thanks
Benedict

-M

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I am a 43 year old man with Type 1 diabetes. My diabetes is going to be 33 this coming January. When my diabetes was younger he didn't really affect me much, or so I felt, I would do what was necessary and we got on fine. I never had the ‘woe is me’ stuff as a teenager, I just got on with it.

As my diabetes has matured though, he has come into himself more; he is becoming more mischievous, and malicious. He is a changeling and his cunning is growing. I think of him sometimes like the Norse God Loki; the baddie in the recent Avengers film. He waits and he tricks you and he seeks his moments.

I get up at about 7:00 a.m. when my alarm goes. Loki doesn’t get up; he doesn’t sleep – he’s been working all night, sometimes in vain but sometimes he’s managed to pull something out of the bag; he rarely seems to do the same thing twice though. That is his style after all.

My wife and I have 2 boys under 4 and I will go downstairs with their monitors and start the day whilst my wife showers. I take Metformin and Lisinopril plus various vitamin supplements and pop a Berocca effervescent tablet into a large glass. I’ll also test my blood sugar to see what my friend has been up to in the night. Last night he had some success; my blood sugar is 8.2, about 3 mmol/l higher than I’d want. I have been using the new Freestyle Insulinx meter to see if it’s suggested insulin dose feature helps; I’m still fine tuning the insulin carb ratio and my failure to get it spot on has pleased Loki. But not much; what he really wants is constant unnoticed highs; 12’s, 15’s if possible so he can really get to work.

He’s a mean fighter; he won’t go for your well-defended areas he’ll go for your soft and vulnerable parts; your eyes, your kidneys, your gut. He is longing to land a great boot on my feet but hasn’t been able to get there. Yet. He’s got all the time in the world though.

I decided to have 2 Swedish Crisp Breads with cream cheese and Marmite for breakfast, plus coffee with cream. The carbs for the Crisp Breads are 6 grams. I don’t bother counting the carbs in the cream (a policy Loki thoroughly recommends). I take half my split dose basal, plus a bolus for the breakfast including a correction dose. Loki doesn’t like accurate correction doses; if you are going to correct he really wants you to go for it and take far too much. That way a good roller coaster effect might happen; he loves the thrills of those highs and lows.

I empty the dishwasher and refill if necessary and get the children up when they announce themselves. They have breakfast and when my wife gets out of the bathroom I shower. Before I do I do as many press-ups as I can. This bores Loki and he whispers against it; ‘why not just have a nice shower; do the press-ups tomorrow?’. Today I do about 30 and Loki wanders away in a sulk.
I then get suited and booted and go to work. Loki fades into the background. I test my blood sugars at about 11:00 and they are 5.3 mmol/l. Loki is bored and and unimpressed; ‘why don’t you have a treat to celebrate?’ I ignore him.

Lunch is a salad from Pret A Manger and blood sugars of 4.4. Loki is having a bad day.

Work is busy and I have a few coffees in the afternoon. I have jelly beans in a little pot close to hand and don't think of any diabetes related things whilst the normal office back and forth goes on. I do drink quite a lot of water throughout the day but have always done that.

I check out the forum for a few minutes to see if Pneu, Borofergie, Defren or any of the others have posted anything interesting. Loki thinks they are all crazy, especially all those low-carb diet tips they give; 'listen to the NHS not so-called internet experts he tells me. 50% of calories from carbohydrates. Are you better trained than the professionals?' I ignore him and close the browser and get back to work.

I get home at about 7:00 and it’s straight into the bath time routine for the children. I do a lot of that as it’s a way of catching up with them and we read books and play around a bit and then they go to bed and often I’ll cook. I’ll also test before the meal and see how we are doing. My daytime basal is a bit out as there has been a rise to 9.0 mmol/l. Loki having been so quiet all day seems to have managed to pull a trick here. Possibly I underestimated the carbs content of the salad, possibly too many coffees (no cream at work) or something else is happening? Maybe I’ve got some sort of bug that is yet to fully show itself?

We have chicken wrapped in bacon with cream cheese plus chopped cabbage cooked in butter with salt and pepper. I take the basal plus correction dose to cover that and we eat.

Loki hates all this low-carb nonsense; he wants pasta and pies and ice cream; that is where he really can excel. Starch and sugar are his favourite helpers.

Then we hang out a bit and watch TV and catch up. Before bed I'm 5.4 mmol/l. Which I'm slightly worried about as I still have a couple hours of active bolus in my system so I have a glass of milk to take the edge off it. Back on track I think. Loki thinks I should take more, some biscuits perhaps, some glucose tablets or fruit juice; 'you never know what may happen when you are asleep' he tells me. I stick to the small glass of milk.

Loki, being the trickster and the devious one that he is actually wins the day though. I'm tired and have recently started to take my second part of the split dose basal at 10:30 – I've set an alarm on my phone to remind me, even after 2 weeks my wife and I jump when it goes off muttering about who is calling at this time of night.

It’s sort of become a joke. Apparently it takes 6 weeks of doing something for it to become a habit and this is a wide open opportunity for Loki and he is smiling as we make the ‘who the hell’s that?’ joke and then I go off to bed forgetting to take the insulin. I only realise this at 6:00 am the next day and confirm it when I test my now pretty high blood sugars. ‘Don’t worry’ says Loki; you’re doing very well. Why not have some porridge?’

I kick myself and get on with getting things back under control. One day at a time, one meal at a time. I have decided that I want my HbA1c to be at 6.1% or below as that averages out at a blood glucose average of 7.8 mmol/l – the level at which damage starts being done and at which you enter Loki’s preferred realm.

To do that I’ve got to tighten up and not let that little ******* pull any funny stuff. So, correction dose and bolus to cover the Crisp Bread and coffee and we’re off again. Loki sits and he waits, and like I said; he’s got all the time in the world.

Best

Dillinger

Defren

Dillinger said:
I check out the forum for a few minutes to see if Pneu, Borofergie, Defren or any of the others have posted anything interesting. Loki thinks they are all crazy, especially all those low-carb diet tips they give; 'listen to the NHS not so-called internet experts he tells me. 50% of calories from carbohydrates. Are you better trained than the professionals?' I ignore him and close the browser and get back to work.

Best

Dillinger

Aww Al you've made me blush. Sadly I have nothing of real interest to post at the moment. With xyzzy away for a few days, it's up to Pneu, BF and others, to keep the home fires burning, re decent news/topics.

Loved the way you told your story, so much better than my simple factual version.

Mileana

That was a very interesting read, Dillinger - thanks for taking the time to entertain me :) Needed that moment of ahh, I know that one, and that one, and lol, that one too!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
A day in the life of my diabetes!
Test blood before each meal and 2 hours after. Insulin adjusted as and when required according to activity levels and or blood sugar readings. Time spent no more than 10 mins in a whole day. Carb counting is automatic and takes no time or effort. Otherwise I live a normal active life.
My parents always insisted that I was no different to anyone else except for my injections everyday. I have followed this all through my adult life. Yes there are frustrating days when things do not go as I want or expected then a few more tests are done and insulin moved up or down to suit my needs.
This is normal for me as I know no different due to my young age at diagnoses.
Diagnosed as a young child pre school 48 years ago.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fantastic Dillinger! I really enjoyed your diabetes story! More or less summed up my daily life with diabetes too. Really good to hear someone admitting that managing diabetes is a constant for life. Your mind isn't always on it, but it's always there if that makes sense?

Smidge

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Dillinger.
That was a great spin on your day in the life of your diabetes...
Loved the angle with 'loki' - I call mine " thingy "!!!
As when I was diagnosed I always blamed it on this diabetes thing I have got.
Its always there this thing that never sleeps - nor does it gives us a day off/holiday from it!
Often say "thingy" is playing up again or whats "thingy" up to now!
So TOTALLY get where you are coming from with 'loki'.
Brilliant post and so enjoyed reading this.
Thanks for a wonderful style and way of expressing how 'loki' lives
and functions in your daily life of your diabetes.
Anna.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Thank you MaryJ, Defren, Mileana, Smidge and Anna29 - that's very kind of you! I guess the trick is to think about it enough, but not too much...

Best

Dillinger

p.s this is what some of the greats do to their diabetes/Lokis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsUCRcK7QYc

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Type 1 for 26 years, age 39

Yesterday, my day went like this:

Woke at 6am, tested, 7.6 (bit higher than I like but I'm happy as it means I can drive to work without stressing)
7.45am, arrive at work, test again, still in the sevens so all groovy
8.30am - porridge (made with water) and strawbs for breakfast, test again and bolus on my pump to cover carbs,
9-10.30am - resist the urge to test BG!! I have a habit of over correcting if I get a BG surge after high carb brekkie!
10.30am, test again and I'm 5.6. Score! had a banana to celebrate ;-) Bolused for 15g carbs
11am, weekly conf call which I am prone to go hypo during (highly stressful situation!) so I take a coffee and a snack in with me, just in case.
12.45pm, warm up soup in microwave, test again, 4.4 so bolus and allow pump wizard to reduce insulin based on BG (deliver approx 0.3 units tio cover 18g carbs in soup)
1pm, eat small pack of dried apricots and go for my lunchtime walk, 40 mins, brisk pace. Test when I get back and I am 4.5! Yey! Apricot trick is working and easier than reducing basal rate an hour before I go.
3pm, test again, in the 4's so have some pre-chopped fruit (mainly berries) and bolus accordingly
6pm, arrive home, Test, 5.4 (score!!) have a quick snack of ryvitas with some jam then go to my running club. Don't bolus for the ryvitas as running session is pretty hard core.
8pm - test again, 4.4. Love it.
8.30pm. Beans on toast! Bolus accordingly.
10pm, test before bed. 2.7. How in Gods name did that happen?! 3 jelly babies and tested again 20 mins later. Down to 2.6 so x3 more. Remember trick I should have used re: reducing basal rate to 10% for the hour AFTER my running had finished. **** and blast! Will remember next time, honest ;-)

Was that only x1 day?!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great numbers Debloubed apart from the 10pm hypo :)

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
noblehead said:
Great numbers Debloubed apart from the 10pm hypo :)

I know, right?! Yesterday was a good day, today not going so well :p :lol: but it's only midday! :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Debloubed said:
I know, right?! Yesterday was a good day, today not going so well :p :lol: but it's only midday! :D

Well you have another 12 hours to put things right :lol:

juliebluenose

I am 42 and a mom of 8 , I have a very busy life, I have type 2 diabetes ,I have had it for 3 yrs now , food is a real struggle for me, I can go a day without food ,longer even , I need to eat cas of my medication ,I'm worried cas I don't eat properly and my medication is all messed up , I should take 6 metformin a day ,but cannot manage 3 meals a day , where can I go 4 help , I feel my doctor dosent give me the right help .Julie