1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A different approach to coping with high fat / protein meals

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by bennyg70, Nov 13, 2012.

1. bennyg70

bennyg70 · Well-Known Member

Ive posted on here a few times reagrding my problems with high fat (With carb content meals).

When ever I go out for restaurant food (Chips and meats, icecreams for desserts, you get the idea), eat takeawy , or cook an unhealthier meal than normal i struggle to get a good sugar reading in the morning.

Ill go to bed with decent sugar readings and can wake up somewhere between 12 - 15, Im yet to do sometests through out the night to see whats going on, if its a steady rise through the night or a suddent spike. And how long after the meal (I suspect about 6 - 8 hours with me). Now my thoughts were being on novarapid if I were spiking at 6 hours post eating, I could eat around 7 and then inject between 12 - 1am to counteract the spike. But I havent tried this yet until I know when the spike is, Im on novarapid and find it takes a good half hour to get into my system, so this could have worked for me. But they are now going to change me to apidra, so I fear it wont work for this scenario as well.

Are there any other suggestions for alternative methods, foods that can be eaten along side the fatty stuff to help aid digestion, ive read about some spices and caffines that could help, also drinking plenty of water. What about digestive enzyme supplements - especially lipase which deals with the fats (I think) ? Anyone tried this?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook