EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
OK, by coincidence rather than plan, I had a morning appointment with the diabetic eye screening service at my hospital, and an afternoon appointment for an annual check with my GP's diabetic nurse.

Some fascinating take aways which I''ll share. (Remember I'm in Mew Zealand which has a nearly but not quite first world health service. eg only basal is lantus).

The eye appointment: She wasn't happy with the cataract in my right eye (I'd no idea that its vision had got so bad until she did the single eye tests) and wanted to refer me for early public health cataract surgery not because of poor vision but because it stopped her from proper photographs of the back of my eye. I told her her that I would take her advice on that.

The diabetic nurse appointment : totally on board with low carb, doesn't like keto because so many people drop out of it. Told me she knew of a 3 year old with T2 diabetes. Apparently cpeptide tests are becoming more available in NZ, and she was a big fan. (I am T1, the T2 mention is just because we were chatting about cpeptide and GAD tests and I naively said that I thought you didn't really need them for young children because they were always T1).

Anyway, no one said I was about to drop dead or go blind, so that's a plus. Just interesting to see how times are achanging.

Edited to clarify mention of T2

Last edited:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ellie, very interesting how we naturally compensate when something isn’t working right, in your case your other eye taking over. In New Zealand I’m sure you already know the success rate of cataract surgery is OVER 97% which is the same as saying you will be fine :) (easy for me to say huh)

Great that LC is being recognized but seems to be taking soooooo long.

Glad your checks weren’t terrible, forward and onward :)

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks @Fenn for the figures (so 3% go wrong ! :)). I'm honestly not worried about cataract surgery, I know I'll need it eventually, just curious because my UK relatives all had it done privately because the NHS wait was so long...

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Fenn for the figures (so 3% go wrong ! :)). I'm honestly not worried about cataract surgery, I know I'll need it eventually, just curious because my UK relatives all had it done privately because the NHS wait was so long...
For non urgent (define non urgent, because most things are urgent if you are suffering from it) issues, the NHS is pretty dire normally, but at the moment it’s terrible! For urgent things, it’s still pretty amazing I’ve recently discovered.

Bash_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
OK, by coincidence rather than plan, I had a morning appointment with the diabetic screening service at my hospital, and an afternoon appointment for an annual check with my GP's diabetic nurse.

Some fascinating take aways which I''ll share. (Remember I'm in Mew Zealand which has a nearly but not quite first world health service. eg only basal is lantus).

The eye appointment: She wasn't happy with the cataract in my right eye (I'd no idea that its vision had got so bad until she did the single eye tests) and wanted to refer me for early public health cataract surgery not because of poor vision but because it stopped her from proper photographs of the back of my eye. I told her her that I would take her advice on that.

The diabetic nurse appointment : totally on board with low carb, doesn't like keto because so many people drop out of it. Told me she knew of a 3 year old with T2 diabetes. Apparently cpeptide tests are becoming more available in NZ, and she was a big fan.

Anyway, no one said I was about to drop dead or go blind, so that's a plus. Just interesting to see how times are achanging.
Hi EllieM most people appear to have early signs of a cataract at 60 plus even non diabetics. Opticians should advise accordingly.
In terms of keto, dropping in and out isn't good, drinking lots of water will assist in reducing your blood sugar and keep your kidneys in better order. Pee a lot more but better that way.
Unsure if your type 1 or 2 but I've been 2 for 48 years without complications so I have the T shirt. If I can help just drop a line. Best Wishes & Kind regards

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi EllieM most people appear to have early signs of a cataract at 60 plus even non diabetics. Opticians should advise accordingly.

Yes, I've had the cataract for a while (5 years?) but I just wasn't expecting anyone to want to treat it till I was practically blind :).
I'm pretty relaxed about the concept that many people get cataracts as they get older. Just surprised that I might get pushed forward in the cataract treatment queue so that they can monitor my eyesight, rather than than because I can't see through it.

I've had on again off again background retinopathy for decades without anyone wanting to treat it so I'm not worried.:)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In terms of keto, dropping in and out isn't good, drinking lots of water will assist in reducing your blood sugar and keep your kidneys in better order. Pee a lot more but better that way.
Unsure if your type 1 or 2 but I've been 2 for 48 years without complications so I have the T shirt. If I can help just drop a line. Best Wishes & Kind regards
Are you type 1 or 2? Your profile shows type 1 but your comment says 2. If your profile is wrong best change it as it will confuse a lot of posts in the future otherwise

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are you type 1 or 2? Your profile shows type 1 but your comment says 2. If your profile is wrong best change it as it will confuse a lot of posts in the future otherwise

Ah, I understand the confusion. I am T1 but was having a general chat about diabetes (both types) with the DN (think she was bored). I'd better edit my first post.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am type 1 and had slight cataracts in both eyes earlier this year had both done and now have perfect eye sight, which is nice after wearing glasses for the last 38 years, so I would highly recommend getting them done

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, I understand the confusion. I am T1 but was having a general chat about diabetes (both types) with the DN (think she was bored). I'd better edit my first post.
My post wasn’t aimed at you. I’m quite clear you are type 1. It was @Bash_ i was confused by

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My post wasn’t aimed at you. I’m quite clear you are type 1. It was @Bash_ i was confused by

Oh, yes, I see what you mean. Yes, I totally misread your post. Good point, now I'm confused too.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I've had the cataract for a while (5 years?) but I just wasn't expecting anyone to want to treat it till I was practically blind :).
I'm pretty relaxed about the concept that many people get cataracts as they get older. Just surprised that I might get pushed forward in the cataract treatment queue so that they can monitor my eyesight, rather than than because I can't see through it.

I've had on again off again background retinopathy for decades without anyone wanting to treat it so I'm not worried.:)
Hi Ellie Thought you might be interested to know my optician mentioned at my last visit that after you have had cataracts removed the problem of blurry vision with high blood glucose disappears. Something to do with the part of the eye that’s effected by high blood sugar is removed in the op. I will ask for the reason again next time I go!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ellie Thought you might be interested to know my optician mentioned at my last visit that after you have had cataracts removed the problem of blurry vision with high blood glucose disappears. Something to do with the part of the eye that’s effected by high blood sugar is removed in the op. I will ask for the reason again next time I go!
In cataract surgery the natural lens is replaced with a plastic one which, unlike the natural lens, is not affected by blood sugar levels.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Most people have cataracts by age 60 because of eye damage from the sun. So it can be avoided with decent sunglasses and less sunbathing.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I had the lens in one eye replaced because of a non-diabetes related problem. Was clearly told I can now never get cataracts in that eye.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Told me she knew of a 3 year old with T2 diabetes. Apparently cpeptide tests are becoming more available in NZ, and she was a big fan. (I am T1, the T2 mention is just because we were chatting about cpeptide and GAD tests and I naively said that I thought you didn't really need them for young children because they were always T1)
Having the right tests to determine type has come on so much and is much more used now, just as older T1s are better diagnosed, it makes sense that younger T2 are too. Having the right treatments I hope Could lead to better understanding and treatments

there are many types and I’ve thought for a while there may be more divisions within the types we have. But I do know there was often newspaper articles over here about very young, teenagers and younger getting T2. Often coupled with comments about the obesity crisis in children. Clearly we could argue all day about whether one causes the other but that’s off topic

Times are achanging indeed, I was early 30s and there was a question at the time as I was seen as young, but makes you wonder, how many have been misdiagnosed as T1.