Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
Hello,

Usually I've no problems with places I've worked and everyone has always been very accommodating. However, I'm currently temping at an office where my diabetes keeps getting brought up as an issue.

I had a couple of hypos - just minor ones - and was able to sort them out myself. They made quite an issue about this. I was then told it was company policy not to eat at our desks and would I mind going to the kitchen to eat? Since I'd be on my own in there, I said I'd like to tell someone if I was hypo and going in there in case I collapsed. I was then told to go into my boss's office to eat. I feel like I'm on parade and feel guilty for doing this so have been running my sugars high to avoid this. I was also told to work an extra 15 - 30 mins to make up for the 'break'. So okay, I can put up with that.

I was then told that if I collapsed, no-one would give me hypostop or glycogen, they would just phone the ambulance. Having not collapsed in 9 years, I figure the risk is a low one, so I said okay to this too.

But today, I had to inject myself. The person I injected in front of has put in a complaint about me and I've been told to inject in the toilets or a meeting room. So once again, I was hauled in for 'a word' about my diabetes.

I just feel like they're picking on everything to do with my diabetes for no reason. I'm fairly well controlled - as much as the odd hypo is annoying, it's not debilitating and I only work part time to stop myself being so tired as this has been an issue in the past. It's a temp job too so I feel like I have no rights and have to just nod along whilst feeling humiliated for having an illness. I've never felt like this about my diabetes before. I've always been of the 'well stuff everyone, I need to look after my health' side of things and never needed to worry about this kind of thing.

Is it worth me going to HR or are they well within their rights to constantly badger me about something I don't feel is an issue?

Thanks for any help.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
Do you work for an agency, or are you a temp employee for the company? I worked for an agency for 5 years pre diabetes, and the rules around temp workers recently changed although Im not sure how so as I wasnt a temp by then.

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
I'm with an agency. I think to have the same rights as a permanent employee, you have to be with the agency for 13 weeks or more. :( I'm now looking for another job as this is just not worth the stress. :roll:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Grrrrr! :evil:
How evil and out of touch are they!!..BIGOTS!!!
It's like something out of a warped Charles Dickens novel!!! :thumbdown:
I'm sure ACAS would have something to say about this if you contacted them!
I hope you find something better soon,preferably where you'll be working with human beings!

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
I think you should speak to the agency and tell them exactly what is going on and that you want to move assignments firstly, as this way the agency have to do something about the way you are being treated, as this is NOT ON, tell them you are thinking about leaving the agency because of it (even if you dont) as they will loose money if they loose you, and they wont particularly want that.
But the agency finding you another assignment with managers who are human beings as paulie said, will give you a chance to find something else at your own pace, with money still coming in, although from personal experience of nearly 7 years working for agencies, you have to choose them wisely.
Just because you are not a permenant member of staff you shouldnt have any less rights to be treated with dignity than any other member of staff in that office, in fact you should have respect because you arent contracted to be there and in theory you could walk out at any moment and not come back, without any repercussions and there is nothing the people you work for can do (the agency might have something to say though).

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
Thanks for your replies. :)

I have spoken to the agency who were really supportive and they're going to look for another job for me, but there's so few around, especially part time. The person who complained about me is supposed to work with me every day on various projects but has just been a huffy cow ever since so I'm finding it really difficult. I'm being as nice as pie just to be awkward. :p

I'm considering going to HR about it but as they're all permanent members of staff and know each other well, I feel like I'd just be seen as a trouble maker. :?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you contact Diabetes Uk and ask for help from the advocacy department, I'm sure they can sort your problems. they are very good.
Hana

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Thats why I'd never tell an employer I have diabetes!

Topsec

Delphinium,

I used to be in HR and they cannot (legally) and should not (morally) treat you like this.

I know you may be worried about your job but I would be straight into HR about this and get some blinkered minds sorted out!! :shock:

mbudzi

I agree that HR is the way forward. I'm not 100% sure if my ground here but as it's a chronic condition, we are technically disabled. The upside is that legislation should protect u. Where someone is disabled they should be assessed to see what reasonable adjustments should be made in the workplace to avoid discrimination. I would suggest talking to the advocacy team at Diabetes UK and asking about the adjustments that could reasonably be made.

And, just to let the steam off...FOR GOD's SAKE DO THEY THINK YOU ARE DOING IT FOR FUN!!!

C

chris lowe

You are covered under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) Google it and you will find out that diabetes is covered. Get the info from that together and then go in to see HR with all guns. You could also point out that the additional stress and bad feeling makes the problem of control worse. Even if your agency/workplace hasn't got a trade union you can still join the appropriate union and pay subs by direct debit. They may not be able to represent you with the employer but they can give you advise and if it comes to it will take an employment discrimination case for you (without resorting to no win no fee leeches)

You are only covered by the DDA if you have disclosed your diabetes to your employer. My employer is very supportive and I found occupational health very good. I no longer have to do break duties at work and get extra time at lunch for blood testing ect. I have about 4 hypos a day so an understanding employer is essential. Good luck and do take advice. Hope you find an understanding employer there are some around.

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
Pebbles, read my original post. I said it's a low risk. I've not collapsed since 2002 when I used to drink, now I don't drink. So unless you're trolling and purposefully looking for a reaction, I suggest that you read what I've said properly and consider your own post. I'm not saying poor me, I'm saying treat me as equally as you would another employee. I don't see my workmate who was throwing up in the toilet being made to work extra because of the time she was in there. She had an illness, as do I. The reason it's an issue is that they ask constant questions about my condition under the guise of 'health and safety' and 'risk assessment'. I don't see how I'm giving type 1 diabetics a bad name. :p I've been nothing but pro-active and sensible about my condition in the past 10 years hence why I tell them that. They even -know- that and say 'You're very good with your diabetes.' but keep bringing it up as an issue themselves. If I need to inject and blood test, I want to be able to do these things without fear of being humiliated and hauled into an office in front of my colleagues.

To everyone else, thank you for the replies. I have been on the ACAS website and also looked up the DDA and as you say, chris, I'll gather up information before approaching HR. I think I'd rather do it on my exit from the company than bring it up now as I've pretty much made my decision to leave and it'd just be more hassle for no reason. I like an easy life and just want things to be as easy as possible at work, so I smile and work hard like I usually do.

disneydreams

pebbles22, I have to say that I think you are being rather harsh with your comments to delphinium. I don't agree that she is giving Diabetics a bad name, I actually think she is being very sensible in her approach to the employer problem, after all extra stress in that type of environment can make any well controlled Diabetic's control go wayward. My daughter has recently been through the same problem at her place of work and it played havoc with both her Diabetic control and mental health. She has since left that employment and lo and behold her health and Diabetic control is back on track. My advice to Delphinium is to get out of that situation as soon as you possibly can, your health is far more important than anything else and you will soon find a placement with a far more worthy employer than the miserable idiots you are with now..

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
pebbles22 said:
[mod edit]

You want to know what you come across as? Take a guess. :evil:

Maybe you need to get a grip and learn some forum etiquette instead of attacking people..how the heck would you know how an individuals diabetes impacts on their life? You don't. But you are quick to pass judgement..poor me syndrome? Wow. :***: Good to know you have such a high opinion of your fellow posters.

Hi There,
Diabetics have been on the discrimination at work list for quite a few years now. It is now illegal for an employer to discriminate against or intimidate an employee on the grounds of their Diabetes. Employers have a duty of care regarding their employees and should be offering help and encouragement for Diabetics in the work place, not harrassment or humilliation.
1. Stand your ground but don't be offensive.
2. Ask those persons who are harassing you to stop doing so.
3. if they persist, go to the supervisor, go through the line of command and make them understand that you will go right to the top if neccessary.
4. Make notes of time, date, any witnesses present, and note the response of the person you are addressing.
5. if all eslse fails and the harassment continues, then make an appointment with HR and if they are any good at there Job they will put a stop to it.

Once you have notified the chain of command and the HR people then they have to enact their duty of care and act in accordance with the disability at work act,whether you are full time, part time,or agency labour.
If these people brow beat you into leaving, then you may have a case for constructive dismissal and an employment tribunal.
Keep hold of your notes, do not give th origanals to anyone, get copies for HR Etc.

Above all do not give in, these bullies need weeding out of any organisation.

Hope this helps

Electricalphil2005 10 Yrs diabetic Type 2, insulin user(Glargine 24 hr slow release) Metformin 3 times daily.

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
Thank you all for the constructive feedback. It's been very helpful. I'll keep notes, Electricalphil, and see how this week goes. :)

smarties

Hi there

Im 36 and have been type 1 diabetic since the age of 8. As I was born in South Africa, during those years they did not even know what it was and I suffered with my health from the word go. i have just been involved in a very serious situation at my previous job. I was being discriminated against my disability. I feel employers think its an easy way to get rid of somebody, but they have it very wrong. the company offered me a compromise agreement when they realised that i can do them some serious damage.

I know exactly where you are coming from with keeping the sugars high to avoid hypos-and we are not doing our long term health any favours. Stop damaging yourself to please an ignorant, uninformed boss!!!

Whatever your working case may be-you are a temp, but all these rules still applies to you.

-You should get extra allocated breaks to have your snacks
- Your situation should be kept updated with the first aider, they must actually undergo a special course in diabetes in the workplace when working with diabetics.
-you must get assigned an independant health worker, who must make regular visits and keep track of your condition.
-you can eat and inject wherever you like!!-do they ask the other staff to come and tell them when they go to the toilet? Suppose not, that in itself is disability discrimination.
-the company needs to do relevant risk assessments every time before you do any new tasks and also when you joined the company, agency or not.
-they cannot force you to work overtime, and if you agree they must allow you an extra break to check your levels.
-they need to ensure that your working environment is fit for your disability, ex; heat or cold, enough breaks away from your computer,easy access to the first aider.

If I can advise you: make a list of all your meal, testing and food intake, explain to them how high sugars and low sugars can effect you and alter your mood etc. Date and sign it and keep a copy. Also tell them what stress does to your levels-maybe and hopefully they will catch a wake-up.

A last bit of advice: If any situation ever leads to a tribunal, when it comes to disability discrimination, you do not need to work for the company full time for a year or more, you can take them to tribunal after being employed a week-agency or not.

Good luck to you and show them our diabetics are not to be messed with.:)

If push comes to shove

The company employed you knowing you had diabetes-this will either be your agency or your obligation to tell them.

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
Hello all,

Just thought I would update.

I'm still getting hassle for my diabetes despite not mentioning it or doing anything out of the ordinary.

I injected in my arm at a summer party and was told I was 'attention seeking'. No, I had on a dress so couldn't access my stomach and I didn't want to show half the office my hold ups. Arms were easy so I just did it without thinking. I then had to eat lunch with them at a different function and got a big 'OH MY GOD DON'T SHOW ME!!' reaction in the middle of the restaurant. Had to pull my maxi dress up to the top of my thigh which I didn't find very dignifying. :crazy:

So I'm leaving. I don't like the atmosphere I'm working in anyway. I love the job but the way they're treating me is just horrible... it's as if she has this thing in her head that says diabetes is to be ashamed of and that I should be hiding it. I'm not someone who hides it. I just live with it like a normal person and that involves blood testing and injecting.

HR are no use as they lack confidentiality. Even though they are supposed to be confidential, nothing is. The agency have been very sympathetic but understand why I would rather just go quietly with a good reference and less stress.

Thank you everyone for the replies and help here. I hope my next job will be back to normal! :D