A great breakfast discovery

Fallenstar

I was being nagged by my Son to make him some pancakes this holiday, I hate making them ,it always looks like a bomb has gone off in my kitchen by the time I have finished..I'm never a tidy cook, but this dish really does bring out the worse in me...Anyway I relented at his pleading eyes :roll: :lol:

I did not have enough wheat flour, so made half of his up out of Ground Almond's to bulk out the wheat flour, they looked that tasty that I thought I would make myself some with all Ground Almonds because I can't have wheat flour....Well they were DEEElicious :D I had them with lemon and sugar , but you could do them as a base for a savory mince, or maybe a stew ect . With gravy, for a savory option, I think they would be great.

Now, all my cooking is guesstimate, make it up as you go along, type of cooking, so bear with me as I try to translate that to measurements :oops:

I used about 3/4 pint milk
2 eggs
a good pinch of sea salt
about 120/150 grams of Ground almonds
All whisked together with a hand whisk, until the consistency of double cream, maybe a bit thinner :wink: Then fry in very hot oil either side as you would a normal pancake.

The carb content in Wheat flour is 78 grams per 100 grams
The carb content in ground almonds is 6.9 grams per 100 grams. :D

So these pancakes are delicious and very low carb , I had so little bolus with these to what I would have normally needed to cope with the Wheat flour version...and I'm not just saying this, but both my Son and I preferred the Ground Almond ones...So a new breakfast idea to add to your list for breakfasts ,lunches ect.

WhitbyJet

Thank you Fallenstar, I love them with jam and cream = mash up bit of sweetener with ripe berries, gives a kind of sweet, jam like consistenchy, dollop of cream with that. Keeps me going all morning

magicaldebs

These sound fab!!
I'm a bit worried about the milk though. Do you think you could Unsweetened Soya milk instead? I suppose adding cream would make them too heavy
Debs

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Nice recipe. I need to test more of these from here. As im a type one diabetic I tend to eat the real thing just inject a lot more insulin. Sorry for calling you a man in the other thread. :lol:

Fallenstar

:lol: no offence taken, to be honest I thought you were Fatima Whitbread :lol: :wink:
There are some great ideas on here, stick around kid and you won't need any Test booster, a healthy lad of 20 , you don't need it!
Keep healthy and aim for homeostasis :thumbup:

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Haha. I thought fatima was actually a bloke. I said to my mum "whats his name?". Won't be touching any test for a while. Im at my peak now as far as test goes. My lifts are going up too :)

Fallenstar

What's his name? :lol: :lol: :lol: You make me laugh Beav, I remember her first time around, she's still buff even though she's kicking it a bit now...kudos to her. Do you reckon she's on steroids?

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Fallenstar said:
What's his name? :lol: :lol: :lol: You make me laugh Beav, I remember her first time around, she's still buff even though she's kicking it a bit now...kudos to her. Do you reckon she's on steroids?

Im not sure to be honest. She is big in muscle size she just has more than the average/she is very ripped. Ide say body fat % of below 8 easy. They say your abs are visible at around 10% bodyfat

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've made these before - but made 'en THICK, like a drop scone. I had 'em with bacon and fried eggs.

It was EXTREMELY filling!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Thanks, I must try these - I am forever refusing chapattis, naan, etc.

magicaldebs

I made them tonight for tea.
I used 4oz of Ground Almonds, half a pint of unsweetened Soya milk, a pinch of salt and two eggs.
You cook them as dropped pancakes (they are not going to flip).
I ate them with lemon juice and a sprinkle of Splenda
Yummy :)

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make them with a mixture of cream and water, to lower the carbs a bit.

dwilson32392

Hi Fallenstar

I've been using ground almonds as a basis for a low-carb breakfast cereal for several years now. It's just a dry mix of ground almonds, soy bran, chopped nuts and wheat germ, wetted with milk and a dash of cream. The taste is great, the texture so-so until you get used to it. But is does have the great advantage of giving you all the valuable constituents of cereal -the bran and the wheatgerm - without the carbohydrate that normally comes with them. One 70g serving contains less than 12 g of carbs instead of 50-odd for ordinary breakfast cereal.

David Wilson