Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A very warm welcome to you all.

My name is Alex and I'm a 21 year old recently diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic, I thought I would share my thoughts.
I apologize for the likely length of this, it is constructive for me to articulate my path, it has been like walking underwater gasping bubbles while drowning, and I only endure to leave some record that may be useful afterwards, hence my post. I am sorry if this is not a positive outlook, but being diabetic, I cannot smile the way I used to smile.
I have had three near DKA's this year alone, having 7 teeth removed due to a large infection in my mouth that due to my Diabetes I could not fight off and spending weeks in hospital, and at home continually feeling ill, being in the same ward as my Gran who was dying of cancer and passed away last week. I had a near hypo at her funeral after being a pall-bearer on Tuesday. Type 1 Diabetics especially, have been the bravest people I've come to know. I've tried to make Diabetic friends, but they seem to only exist in the US when I reach out on forums, Facebook and such. Eventually, I've came here to see if it is possible, but I don't think I'm much of an interesting person at all for someone to engage and enjoy chatting to me about such a terrible condition.

Despite applying for 5 jobs each and every day for over 3 years, I'm unemployed, now with Type 1 Diabetes, I have even less chance of employment. I did wish to learn how to drive, to become a taxi or bus driver, that was a goal of mine. But when diagnosed, I was told I cannot be a bus driver due to my Diabetes, and that some people are not allowed a drivers license at all. That is the one thing I only had some hope for.

While I'm experienced with building computers, I have no qualification in IT, I can't count how many times I've been asked by an employer, job centre or agency if I can even type because of this. And Colleges won't accept me due to my low entry level qualifications and are now full. I left school without good qualifications due to excessive physical and mental bullying to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. Since then, I've did very little admittedly as I've been too ill or tired to do anything, despite my youth. Eventually, it all built up to the point I hit a near coma like state last September weekend which led to my diagnosis of being Type 1.
On occasion, I feel so ignoble, inutile and wretched to where eating is often so laden with hypocrisy as to make me gag. Even today, I've had nothing to eat, skipped my morning insulin and couldn't care for what my blood sugars are, as I know they'll be about as low as I feel.

I have lived every day with only able to exist if I can serve, and when that evaporates, have no will to exist, yet another defect to some...I have come to feel like the tree in the forest whose falling will not make a sound as there are no ears..I am sorry to ever be shadow when I meant such light, rather expect to be gone very soon, not to be grim, I just have no place in this age it seems, and I am not by nature egocentric enough to find any meaning in the face of this neglected primary reality. Once all is lost, I will determine an ideal place to hang myself nearby, for I have shed the illusions that enable enduring this world.

Thank you for reading, I wish you all well in the future, despite not speaking to any of you. I know all of your struggles and hope for a cure, and I can only hope a cure will be found one day, for all of you to live to your full potential. If not for yourself, but your children's futures.

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Alexander, I hope you remain on the forum long enough to read this....
You are in a dark place right now, but you are not alone, and many of us have been where you are now. People care, though it doesn't seem like it at times, and there are good things yet to come, though it again may not seem like it. Speak to a family member, a friend, the Samaritans or whoever initially, then your GP or other HCP to get some help. It exists if you ask for it .
(((((big hugs ))))) to you.

Signy

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what to say, but this is the Samaritan's number:
  • 08457 90 90 90 * (UK)
@Giverny , @IanD, @anna29 - You need to know about this.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Alex
Please stick around and if nothing else talk to us
You are not alone

Reactions: 4 people

BETH@RGU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
NOTHING
Hi Alex,
From what I have read you have a brilliant mind, there are many ways to get started with IT you just have to look for them, a few evening classes and meeting like minded people may give you the boost you need, Please Please spend the next few hours looking for options, if you can express yourself so well whilst you are feeling so bad just think of the future you can have when you put it all together in the right way.
Please take your meds and for heavens sake eat something!

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Do you have family Alex ... you living alone?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Alex. I agree with Beth your literary skills are excellent. Your use of imagery is superb. Please stay on the forum and talk to some of the others. Evening classes in IT are a great idea. How about taking GCSE Maths and English? You are clearly a talented young man who is in need of help to find directin. :)

BETH@RGU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
NOTHING
Hi Alex; mo53 has nailed a few of your skills, I bet you have more. Seems like you have learned a lot out of school and built on it and you did this yourself, Building a computer takes brains and know how and you can do that, that's how I know that, and I have faith that you will pull through this.
Believe in yourself Alex
Beth xx

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Alexander13 Sorry about your Gran. This is obviously a very dark time for you. Please stick around and let us help you through it.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Come on, @Alexander13

You are watching this thread, and there are people here on the forum, wanting to know you, and help. Try typing a bit more, and tell us what help you need.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Alex, as everyone here has rightly said you have talents if others are too blind to see them that's their problem not yours, there are people here ready and willing to help with words of advice, between us are thousands of years of experience and I am sure one of us will be able to help,

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Alex I'm fairly new to diabetes and need all the help I can get ... you might turn out to be my best bet yet so stick around.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Hi Alex, as everyone here has rightly said you have talents if others are too blind to see them that's their problem not yours, there are people here ready and willing to help with words of advice, between us are thousands of years of experience and I am sure one of us will be able to help,

No it's not their problem it's Alex's problem.
He's struggling to get his talents noticed his voice heard etc ... those who don't notice will just go their way ... not noticing!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No it's not their problem it's Alex's problem.
He's struggling to get his talents noticed his voice heard etc ... those who don't notice will just go their way ... not noticing!
But people on here have noticed that @Alexander13 has talents. So if we can see that there will be others.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's good I hope.

Yes, it has to be good. There is so much that @Alexander13 could do. I believe he is very low right now, and grieving for his Gran too. I am sorry for your loss, Alexander. Yet, there is hope, and you can have a bright future.

Let us know what is going on, please @Alexander13

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I'm almost three times your age and I have T1, I can still lead a very active life. It takes a bit of time to learn how to control it but you can do anything . I'm just about to welcome my two children, their spouses and five grandchildren to stay. There will be eleven of us in the house. If I can cope with that lot with type 1 then diabetes isn't really stopping me.

There have been T1s on top of Everest and winning medals at the Olympic games
As for bus driving, whoever told you that you can't do that is not up to date, yes it's a bit more complicated but you can still do that if you want to and are motivated to do so. We even have a member on this forum who drives coaches and uses insulin

There are lots of people on here who can help you learn how to use insulin to control your diabetes.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Alex please answer us, can't you see we care, one of my grandsons is your age, he too was having problems like yours but he has managed to find a night class where he can do his thing, people laughed because he wanted to do dressmaking/tailoring but he now has a chance to become what he wants, because he refused to let the world class him as a kook.

BETH@RGU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
NOTHING
Alex,
Please write something, There are a lot of people here who can help you with a lot of things.
Me? I am new to diabetes so I feel helpless to help you.
Give all these guys a chance They helped me and that was only reading what they had to say.
Beth xx

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Alex - Please keep in touch with us all here .
Dont give up however heavy and lost you are currently feeling .

You have many talents and things to do yet !
For example you CAN still learn to drive - and drive to some
beautiful places too in a car of your very own too .
No need for a taxi or a bus eh ?

You're feelings with the diabetes I fully understand .
I was furious after battling off both pneumonia and septis infections
to be 'hit' with ruddy diabetes .
There you see - even I was mad,angry, at one point it felt hopeless to me too .
The routine and regime IS a pain I know,understand and recognise all to well .
Even I get fed up with it ...
Testing daily , working out food recipes and dosage of insulin etc.
It is known as the condition or disease that never sleeps!
Always doing its own thing eh?
Hard to manage and control sometimes also .
Not an easy thing to do when you want to be young,free and live your
dreams and aspirations .

Please talk with us - and get in touch with me via PM if you wish to .
I will do my best to help and guide you .

Status
Not open for further replies.