A kick up the bum needed

anniwoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
beetroot, Simon Cowell and spiders
Hello

Diagnosed T2 back in Feb and on metformin. Lost nearly two stone in weight and BG has been fairly well maintained.
Weight has now stabilised but I am still classed as obese, going off the rails with BG levels slightly.
This is beginning to get me down, made a couple of **** ups at work. Feeling quite low and the moment and tearful, at the stage where I don't know where to start with food, sick of salad! so I go off the wagon now with carbs and then hate myself for doing so.
I know there are people on this forum who are struggling with diabetes and added health issues and I take my hat off to you.
You are a clever and resourceful bunch I just need a hug or a spell on the naughty step, please give me a boot in the backside, sorry to rant xx

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Knowing that you have taken a backward step, you now realise, that forward is the best way!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's ok, you know.

Backsliding a bit is not only perfectly understandable, it also shows you're normal.

We all do it. Well, all of us humans ;)
There are a few people on here who awe me with their infallibility, and dietary dedication - but I don't aspire to that. My aims are quite simple:
Low carb just enough to avoid diabetic complications
And
Feel well enough to enjoy life (and food) as much as possible

This means that I muddle along somewhere in a low carb zone that allows me to relish the odd (regularly odd) treat, but keeps my BG where I want it, most of the time.

I regularly get it wrong. And I regularly feel the need to compensate by being a bit stricter for a while. :happy:
It's like being on a seesaw.

But I refuse to feel guilty about it - even if I stuffed my face on sugar crusted white bread. The only person affected by this is me, so all that guilty energy is much better being channelled into looking for new and yummy low carb foods I can eat :hungry:

Are you testing your BG regularly? I find that helps me stick to the straight and narrow more than anything else.

The other really motivational thing that makes me knuckle down is googling diabetic complications, ulcers, leg amputations and retinopathy. Of all of them the loss of my eyesight would be, for me, the most awful, and I feel profoundly for anyone who has these conditions, especially when they are largely preventable, with good advice, good treatment, and consistent control which so many of us do not receive!

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello

Diagnosed T2 back in Feb and on metformin. Lost nearly two stone in weight and BG has been fairly well maintained.
Weight has now stabilised but I am still classed as obese, going off the rails with BG levels slightly.
This is beginning to get me down, made a couple of **** ups at work. Feeling quite low and the moment and tearful, at the stage where I don't know where to start with food, sick of salad! so I go off the wagon now with carbs and then hate myself for doing so.
I know there are people on this forum who are struggling with diabetes and added health issues and I take my hat off to you.
You are a clever and resourceful bunch I just need a hug or a spell on the naughty step, please give me a boot in the backside, sorry to rant xx

Aaawww sending you a diabetic (((((((((HUG))))))))). You are not superhuman and we all have little hiccups of some kind or another along the way.
Just take little steps, some deep breaths, positive thoughts and off you go again. I'm sure you will get there:angelic:

With best wishes and take care x

Reactions: 2 people

danielt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anomie woo I am a newbie so have no wisdom..... my OH is the diabetic and just recently I have had a meltdown regarding his meds ..diet the whole bit. I posted on here in the week had some fantastic practical and pastoral comments and now feel I am clear enough to start again. I won't hijack your thread but my OH Has weight to lose as do I and the last few weeks have been hard..mainly down to my disorganisation no planning so failed miserably,rubbish choices and yes because of me as I do food shop and choose what we eat
So my plan is to concentrate on diet reduce carbs where possible,count calories where possible to a limit from a calculator link given in a post here in the last few days sorry I can't find the link ....and just take it one day at a time.
I realise that it is a lifetime marathon not a sprint...you can't be 100% perfect 100% of the time -maybe some can and hats off to them but going forward for now my mantra is just pick the best choices you can at each meal....and if you really do know that something isn't good for you try and have the strength to substitute it for something more diabetic friendly..then be smug at your meter readings ... In my case I sit here and bellow at my OH 'see it does work doesn't it!' .. Yes v annoying!!
LOL,,, :)

anniwoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
beetroot, Simon Cowell and spiders
Thanks for your replies, back on the straight and narrow now and feeling more positive, hugs to all x

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just remember you don't have to eat salad all the time - you can eat all sorts other green and leafy stuff as well. Take a look at the "What have you eaten today?" in our Low Carbs section of the forum for a little inspiration on some of the great stuff we can enjoy!

My weight "stuck" after losing a fair bit of weight when I had some minor health and other problems, and my glucose levels went a little haywire, and it's only now after several months that things are getting on course for me again - so you're not alone in your ups and downs - many of us will know what you've been going through so you're not alone - I've been getting pretty frustrated myself. :(:p

Robbity

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just remember you don't have to eat salad all the time - you can eat all sorts other green and leafy stuff as well. Take a look at the "What have you eaten today?" in our Low Carbs section of the forum for a little inspiration on some of the great stuff we can enjoy!

My weight "stuck" after losing a fair bit of weight when I had some minor health and other problems, and my glucose levels went a little haywire, and it's only now after several months that things are getting on course for me again - so you're not alone in your ups and downs - many of us will know what you've been going through so you're not alone - I've been getting pretty frustrated myself. :(:p

Robbity
To be honest I have a form of salad every day, with my meals(6) and although I could do a chip buttie, I do really like my diet and the testing!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to eat some sort of salad most days too, but I do like it and I'm liberal in my definition of "salad" and vary what I add to my salad bowl - but I know not everyone is keen on so called "rabbit food"!

I've not missed most of the food stuff I thought I would, but what I do hate is having to limit my fruit intake, both with types of fruit and size of my portions...

Testing has been a lifeline for me - in that it makes me feel that I'm in control of my diabetes, rather than the other way round, and I sort of play a (try to) beat the meter game with my meals..:p

Robbity

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Anomie woo I am a newbie so have no wisdom..... my OH is the diabetic and just recently I have had a meltdown regarding his meds ..diet the whole bit. I posted on here in the week had some fantastic practical and pastoral comments and now feel I am clear enough to start again. I won't hijack your thread but my OH Has weight to lose as do I and the last few weeks have been hard..mainly down to my disorganisation no planning so failed miserably,rubbish choices and yes because of me as I do food shop and choose what we eat
So my plan is to concentrate on diet reduce carbs where possible,count calories where possible to a limit from a calculator link given in a post here in the last few days sorry I can't find the link ....and just take it one day at a time.
I realise that it is a lifetime marathon not a sprint...you can't be 100% perfect 100% of the time -maybe some can and hats off to them but going forward for now my mantra is just pick the best choices you can at each meal....and if you really do know that something isn't good for you try and have the strength to substitute it for something more diabetic friendly..then be smug at your meter readings ... In my case I sit here and bellow at my OH 'see it does work doesn't it!' .. Yes v annoying!!
LOL,,, :)
@anniwoo
I have found that by planning our meals for the week helps. I used to not give evening meals a second thought and then I'd be scrabbling around at the last minute and we'd quite often end up with a take out.
I choose a day when I've got time (Friday evening or Saturday) and I make the choices for the week.
I shop to the list and the only **** I buy are crisps for kids pack ups, ice pops and ice creams (for kids - they'd rather have this than any dessert) and some sweets for them. I also only shop to the list. This means if I don't have it in I can't eat it. We have dessert a couple of times a week.either LCHF ice cream, LCHF chocolate mug cake with double cream or a cream pie thing made with marscapone and fresh strawbs.i have a fry up every morning cooked by hubbie while I get myself and kids ready. Lunch is always bits of cheese, tomatoes or Greek yoghurt and berries which I buy at the start of the week and leave in works fridge. We have saved a lot of money too!