A laugh today but awareness too!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Had a friend round today after I was getting out of a bath.
(Hubby downstairs)..

So, i grabbed my pump, 8mm set and tubing, a 6 mm set, self inserter, and tubigrip, cartridges, battery etc and went downstairs, as I always do, to sit on sofa and to change everything.

The inserting machine fell apart on me....

(My hubby was trying to explain to my friend that every few days I have to effectively sort of staple myself....)

Part of the inserter machine flew off and fell into my friends coffee whilst he was trying to fix the inserter for me. However he did make a semi fix for me.

Then because the tubing comes with an 8mm set which I thought were giving me bad levels I self inserted the 6mm and connected up. However I had the 8mm one spare.....

Well, I tried to get my friend (and hubby) to be "stapled" with
the spare 8mm set....just to experience it.. Not to attach or anything and to check that the inserter was definitely working after the repair!

Could I persuade them?? Big fat "NO"......

So, as my friend said he had fixed the inserter I said "ok, I'll have to see for myself if you have fixed it-seems you two are chickens".

So I stabbed and it worked and I took the set out. Yep my inserter worked.

30 mins later sat infront of fire and still in dressing gown my friend said to me "whats all that blood running down your leg by your ankle?"

I looked and followed the blood trail up to my bum where the 8mm set had gone in. It was still gushing!!!

Hubbys and friends faces were a picture!!! They just kept repeating they were bloody glad I hadn't done it on them! And.. No way were they ever going to be guinea pigs for me!

However, it has made me realise that I just have to throw away the 8mm sets.. If I'd attached it to my pump that my levels would have been all over the place....trouble is the new insight pump does not make 100cm tubes with 6mm sets.. So every time I need to change the 100cm tube I'm going to have to throw away the 8mm sets.

I thought I was having problems with the 8mm sets every 6 days but this has now proved to me that 8mm is too long. Just 2mm extra depth appears to be more likely for hitting blood far more than the 6mm sets do. I thought I was having probs every time I did a complete change with the 8mm sets but this is beyond doubt now after seeing the blood gush from bum to ankle and still flowing.

Then friend and hubby looked at length of the inserter needle..... Well there's no way now they would ever be guinea pigs....chickens yes!!!

Reactions: 4 people