A Link to An Interesting Story on Fasting from the Wall St Journal

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read this story here

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-fasting-cure-is-no-fad-11564676512

but what for me was really telling was the prevalence of folks doing 16-8 or 18-6 fasting routines and gaining really good weight loss. The above article was written by Dr Andreas Michalsen from the Charité University Hospital in Berlin.

I've interacted with a T2DM insulin dependent friend at my local church and I'm starting to make (for me at least) a connection to my own basal insulin level. This gentleman struggles with being about 22 stone or over 300 lbs. It is a known phenomena that injecting insulin can cause one to be permanently hungry.

Originally when I was diagnosed T2DM I had a weight of 252lbs. From there I got into what could be described as hard core fasting and got down to 182lbs of weight. Since then I've gone up inexorably to 220lbs give or take (and I've been eating 3 square meals + / day. I'm starting to think that my issue could so much better be corralled by skipping breakfast as my then basal insulin level at a lower threshold and not causing me to be hungry all the time? Whodathunk?

I'm off to high altitude ski-resort tomorrow and when I go there for a few days I typically lose about 1/2 a lb of weight / day. High altitude alters one's leptin ghrelin and insulin levels. I'm going up for about a month yet I'm thinking I'll be more successful if I just quit eating 3 square meals a day and only enjoying 2 decent meals. I'll keep you all posted..

—Dr. Michalsen is a professor at Berlin’s Charité University Medical Center. This essay is adapted from his new book, “The Nature Cure: A Doctor’s Guide to the Science of Natural Medicine,” which Viking will publish on Aug. 6.

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi,
I understand why many people like the 16-8 or 18-6 fasting to lose weight quickly. However once you has achieved a 72lb weight loss, did you consider trying to achieve a more long-term sustainable lifestyle like LCHF?

I am basically doing LCHF (every day) with 1 or 2 days per week of 16-8 or 18-6 just to help things along.
I was 170 lbs at the time of diagnosis and now after 4 months I am still 1lb short of achieving the 10% weight loss that research has shown is so beneficial improved Insulin Resistance. I could never have stuck to a 16-8 every day all this time, I like my food too much to fast every day even though for my regular colonoscopies I go for more than 48hrs without solid food.

I found that the LCHF lifestyle, just counting grams of Carbs - not calories (eat as much as you want of Protein and Fat) meant that my BG figures were controlled and my weigh came off in a regular but controlled way. There is no problem with me sticking with it because I like eggs, meat, fish, cheese, yoghurt, avocado, nuts, berries, cauliflower and broccoli.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I just read an interesting article about how our gut bacteria regulate how many calories we extract and from which foods we best/worst extract them. Thus the number of calories in a plate of food depends upon the gut biome of the person eating it! The article appears to be from 'The Altantic' (whatever that is) through MSN.com

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/fa...ar-AAFfMMh?OCID=ems.display.welcomeexperience