A little bit of burnout - and the recovery starts here

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I have not been on the best of behaviour pretty much since the last two tournaments of the year.

Christmas dinner was fun, but I felt justified in turning down a portion of salmon en croute to go with my usual Christmas trimmings because I had scoffed quite enough! I enjoyed a little of the Brioche Bread & Butter pudding I prepared to bring over for my hosts but preferred to watch them enjoy seconds and thirds.

A lot of pre-Christmas over indulgence, a little bit of burnout and the recovery started today.

I invested in a treadmill and spin bike to make it easier for me to work out in amongst long hours and occasional shifts and have started to focus on rehabbing these terrible knees with no cartilage.

I am headed to Australia for three weeks and have booked an apartment close to the centre of town, and I've checked and Coles supermarkets are not far away so that is my first port of call on my first day arriving. There is also a gym in the complex.

I intend to have my next blood test done literally before I leave for Indian Wells in early March. Time to return to being serious as this is the start of a full year on the circuit as a diabetic. Off we go!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Sounds like you are planning for success in 2018. Great news.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @RFSMarch . Sounds like 2018 is sorted.
Re the knees. Cross trainers can be far less stressful on joints and actually give a more all over workout. I only have one dodgy knee but still find too long on even a sprung treadmill can cause issues the next day.
Have a great year ahead.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @RFSMarch . Sounds like 2018 is sorted.
Re the knees. Cross trainers can be far less stressful on joints and actually give a more all over workout. I only have one dodgy knee but still find too long on even a sprung treadmill can cause issues the next day.
Have a great year ahead.

Well the plan is to break down Couch to 5k and add the time incrementally and the spin bike is actually the best rehab for my knees as per the advice of the orthopaedic consultant and physio. I don’t actually use the cross trainer much even at the gym except for a warm up. And also there is not enough space in the conservatory!!!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For knees, it is a lot better to walk fast on a treadmill at a steep angle then run. (Most people will get a very good workout at 15 degrees incline and 5mph.)

HIIT gives some of the quickest results and can be done on a spin bike or treadmill. Work as hard as you can for 2 minutes, then go slowly for 5 minutes and repeat. You are aiming to get the highest peak heart rate you can, then let your heart get back to normal with general exercise before repeating.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a trampoline for the garden some years ago when my knees were bad - it is a great surface for rolling around on, kneeling stretching etc are all a lot easier as there is not single point of contact so kneeling down, which was agony on a hard surface, was absolutely fine on the trampoline apron, and I used to go out twice a day and do about a thousand bounces, which I intend to do again once the weather warms up.
As soon as there is the slightest green on the fruit trees I start to do at least one session a day. I really ought to get one of those little 'rebounder' things for indoors.

Reactions: ringi

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got a trampoline for the garden some years ago when my knees were bad - it is a great surface for rolling around on, kneeling stretching etc are all a lot easier as there is not single point of contact so kneeling down, which was agony on a hard surface, was absolutely fine on the trampoline apron, and I used to go out twice a day and do about a thousand bounces, which I intend to do again once the weather warms up.
As soon as there is the slightest green on the fruit trees I start to do at least one session a day. I really ought to get one of those little 'rebounder' things for indoors.

Yeah I have an indoor rebounder too! If there is a plus side to my diagnosis... I had dropped a stone and a half as part of my symptoms so the loss of effectively 10 bags of sugar made the pressure through my knees a hell of a lot less!! The trampoline jogger was in fact the only way I could exercise once upon a time when the knees were really bad. I might bring it upstairs near the office for when I give myself a 10min break from the desk...

Reactions: Diakat