1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A little of what you fancy

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by AnnieC, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Emma_P23

Emma_P23 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

On a more positive note, I treat myself to milkybar buttons once in a blue moon :) nothing better than a little treat here and there. Makes living with diabetes a little more easy to deal with :)

• Like Like x 10
  2. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

No it's not Emma because if it carries on in this manner then some posts will be deleted.
    Us and them mentality seems to be creeping in. as does derailing the thread.
    Back on track please.
    A little of what you fancy is the title of the thread in case anyone has forgotten.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

I love a toasted tea cake at Easter and Christmas ....with no,added sugar jam usually St dalflour ....it is a nice treat ....:)

• Like Like x 5
  4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Off topic again, don't derail threads purposely, have some consideration to the OP Avocado :)

• Like Like x 6
  5. No "them and us" intended. Was just suggesting that people were clearer in their posts for the good of new members' health :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. dannyw

dannyw Type 1 · BANNED

It shouldn't be about T1's and T2's at all but to post on a diabetic forum how "you can't beat a proper Scotch pie" etc is perhaps not the best advice to give. Would you expect to visit a forum for alcoholics discussing their favourite whisky ? Seems a bit odd to me.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Nuthead

Nuthead Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As a T 2 on insulin. Tonight I have just blown the carb budget with fish and chips from the chippy. Not done often but thoroughly enjoyed. :D

• Like Like x 5
    #27 Nuthead, Nov 13, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2014
  8. Nuthead

Nuthead Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ok. You can't beat fish and chips. A light hearted thread and should be taken as such

• Like Like x 8
  9. AnnieC

AnnieC · Guest

Yes please do not use this thread to start an argument again . The question was not about whether people are T1 or T2 I just asked if anyone allowed theirself a treat sometimes something they had enjoyed before they were diabetic I certainly do not think that having a Scotch pie and crisps is going to give newbies the idea that it is what they should eat as the thread is about occasional treats not our every day food

• Like Like x 11
  10. izzzi

izzzi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well @noblehead you have got me there. I always assumed you were older and wiser than me.
    I will never learn "never assume"
    Back to "A little of what you fancy" Scottish ice cream made by Italians" (hope I do not get into trouble now)
    Thanks @AnnieC for a nice post.

• Like Like x 6
  11. AnnieC

AnnieC · Guest

Well it is interesting to see just what we treat ourselves to sometimes we all seem to like different things.. I must say though that whatever we do treat ourselves to it does taste all the better than when we could eat it freely

• Like Like x 4
  12. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Loving this thread @AnnieC

• Like Like x 5
  13. drahawkins_1973

drahawkins_1973 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I never really had a sweet tooth before I got diagnosed but I sometime crave sweet things now. I think it's mental thing like having "forbidden fruit" as it were. I'm having a bit of a cough candy sweet craving as I write this :)
    But I have been known to once or twice a year indulge in a small glass of Baileys mmmmm.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 5
  14. Andy12345

Andy12345 Type 2 · Expert

i like to treat myself to vegetables, fresh and crispy, i treat myself to delicious fatty meat, chunks of cheddar cheese, salads including pickles and olives topped with several grated cheeses and cold meats, cauliflower mash instead of yucky potatoes, i treat myself to yummy cakes like the ones on ewelinas blog www.diabeticgoodbaking.com, fried breakfasts including eggs bacon sausage mushrooms (obviously avoiding the bread)

theres more but i dont want to sound too greedy

the best thing about these treats are they dont push up my blood glucose at all! how cool is that :)

• Like Like x 8
  15. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You also treat yourself to SF jelly!

• Like Like x 4
  16. Andy12345

thats for the "alot of what you fancy thread" hehe

hiya Ms Hale :)

• Like Like x 4
  17. izzzi

izzzi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank goodness for Metformin :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Andy12345

this is an awesome thread! i get to talk about the things i treat myself with and talk about the best diet for diabetics

(sorry i can't spell necessetate but you got the message)

Edited by Moderator as quote from another poster was not verbatim.

• Like Like x 3
    #38 Andy12345, Nov 13, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2014
  19. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Baileys and Ice :D I remember that rather indulgent tipple, yep I have to agree with you there mmmmm.

RRB :)

• Like Like x 4
  20. Andy12345

natural greek full fat yogurt topped with berries and or nuts!! yummyyyyyyy i never had that before diagnosis, i always had weetabix :dead:

no wonder im diabetic huh

• Like Like x 6
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook