A new member here with type 2

oliveview

Hi,
I have been very lucky- I have known I am at risk of developing diabetes now for about 9 years as I was diagnosed with Impaired Glucose Tollerance and diagnosed as a diabetic about 6 months ago. The Doctor said I am only a ´little bit´ diabetic :lol: I class myself as lucky, as I knew I was on the way to becoming diabetic, most folk don´t know till they are.

I´ve been monitored with blood tests and today was told my glucose is good, under control (Spanish measurments sorry! 126mg/dl, it was 127 mg/dl in October) but my cholesterol has gone up and the Dr isn´t pleased with that bit. My cholesterol total is 227 mg/dl and the HDL cholesterol is 49 mg/dl. He said to eat more oily fish, olive oil and to drink a glass of red wine every night (small glass) and to walk for at least an hour a day, so have just got back from walking the dogs for 1 hr 10 min. I drink a bottle of Benecol every day- my cholesterol was 4.8, 4 years ago when I was back in the UK- down from 5.8 but it has crept up again (along with my weight) :(

I have a family history of diabetes- my Father had diabetes (and a bad heart but was a very heavy smoker) and my brother has diabetes (un-diagnosed for years till he got really ill, his fault, we had all been telling him to go and be checked and he said he was ok, he wasn´t and had not been to see the Dr)
I´m 53 years old (just) and about 1 1/2 stone overweight (I´ve lost 3kg in 5 weeks :D ) I live in Spain (hence the Spanish measurements) I need to find a web site where I can convert the cholesterol/glucose to the UK measurements- any suggestions as to where I can find a conversion chart?
I look forward to finding out all sorts of info on the site here, thanks in advance

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi and welcome to the forum.Here is a link to a converter.The rest of the site is interesting as well.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/20898027.php

Another thing you could eat for your cholesterol is about 25 gm of almonds a day.Please have a good look round this forum and ask us questions as well.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
The conversion rate between mg/dL and mmol/L differs between substances, for blood glucose you divide mg/dL by 18, for HDL and LDL cholesterol you divide by 39, for triglycerides it's 89. The divisor changes because of the differences in molecular weight between substances.

Regards, Tubs.

Trinkwasser

oliveview said:
I´ve been monitored with blood tests and today was told my glucose is good, under control (Spanish measurments sorry! 126mg/dl, it was 127 mg/dl in October) but my cholesterol has gone up and the Dr isn´t pleased with that bit. My cholesterol total is 227 mg/dl and the HDL cholesterol is 49 mg/dl. He said to eat more oily fish, olive oil and to drink a glass of red wine every night (small glass) and to walk for at least an hour a day, so have just got back from walking the dogs for 1 hr 10 min. I drink a bottle of Benecol every day- my cholesterol was 4.8, 4 years ago when I was back in the UK- down from 5.8 but it has crept up again (along with my weight) :(

What an uncommonly sensible doctor! Here they would almost certainly tell you to eat less fat and more carbs - then complain when your lipids got rapidly worse.

That HDL number is pretty good, I suspect much of that total will come from triglycerides which you can bang down relatively quickly along with your BG by reducing carbs. The pattern of high LDL, low HDL (which you don't seem to have) and sky high trigs is common enough to be known as diabetic dyslipidemia

i calculate your trigs as 140 which gives trigs/HDL as just below the magic 3, so you have some insulin resistance to work on but not too much.

#1 plan would be this

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

along with the walking and all those yummy things you can eat which aren't carbs <jealous> you will almost certainly see improvements

oliveview

I actually do not miss sugery things at all- I lie- sometimes I sneak an odd square of chocolate if there is some in the fridge.
When I told a friend I was diabetic now she said I must be devestated- I asked her why should I be devestated? I class myself as lucky that I have found out so early on, I´m annoyed it has (IGT) developed into diabetes but I´m not devestated. If I think of being ´bad´ I think of my Dad and all the complecations he had through being ´very bad´ all the time and think is it worth it? What does annoy me though is when you watch cookery programmes on tv they always use loads of butter, sugar or something naughty :x Why can´t they do a series on healthy puddings?

esmecullen

Hiya another newbie diagnosed here :)

Like you I'm not a sweet toothed person............ but do like the odd bit of choc, especially that organic choc (not sure if I can put the name on here because of advertising) :wink:

Trinkwasser

Yes I was always much more of a savoury carboholic. I use Green & Black's or Co-Op Fairtrade 85% chocolate in small pieces, an entire bar is only 17 - 19g carbs, that and Splenda in my coffee is more than enough sweetness for me