A night of pigery . . . that you get away with, a dangerous thing

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having problems lately with carb creep, things I would have never considered early doors.
Chocolate chip cookies, fish suppers, deserts . . . you know the like.
I was getting away with them on the meter, that's both a blessing & a curse.

Busy night tonight, our local Cardiac First Responder Group has started back so we were doing PPE training.
Great to get out again & spend time in adult company.
Anyway, I downloaded the new King Kong movie & settled in with a few cans of Coors Light.
Had a huge carb urge rush over me, had crackers with cheese, about 30g of carbs.
Wasn't enough, wanted more & went for a crisp sandwich on white bread, probably another 40g carbs on top of the rest.
Next thing I knew I'm falling asleep, just like the old days after a carb fest.

I know the scales wont tell me off until the morning but I want to give myself a warning, so I take out the meter.
This is about 60 mins after the sandwich so I know I should be hitting peak, low & behold 5.3mmol/L.

That's not going to teach me my lesson, carb creep is real & I need to up my mindset to address this fast.
I found a guy on another forum who like me had complete remission, even passed an OGTT.
Today he's on 3 different diabetes meds & insulin in increasing doses as he gained all the weight back plus extra.

This was an internal rant I had to put down in writing or I'll end up like that guy.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It definitely creeps up on you and becomes a habit. You're taking smart action to recognize it and nip it in the bud!

Reactions: Lainie71

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Ronancastled

Was in a similar position to you and packed up my meter, muttered the cure word totally went back to my old dietary ways and here I am back here 4 years later with many regrets (mainly weight related as BG still seems to be all good).

So well done on keeping on top of it. Have those occasional treats but keep control

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Remember that carb addiction is real - for me at least. If I don’t eat carbs, I don’t crave them. Get yourself through the carb cold turkey and hopefully you will find things easier in a week or two.

Reactions: Lainie71

Drfarxan

I think you should discover as much keto friendly food as possible to the point of having keto friendly snacks ready in times like those. I do get carb craving subconsciously but as soon as i reach for something carby it goes away. Like i know a biscuit is just a mold of wheat!!lose the craving immediately.Its our subconscious because for most type 2 for years we woke up to the smell of breakfast with carbs(they smell good)
My goal is if i succesed with remission i will increase my glucose to 100mg a day. I don’t like sugarly things my poison was coca cola( i could drink like 2 lt a day). But never been a sweets or snacking guy.
I love banana and avocado smoothies( before being diagnozed use to add vanilla icecream).I want to be able to eat that smoothie,brown bread,peanuts(without the guilt) and occassionally pasta or noodles.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard of people who have achieved remission, then went back to a carb heavy diet again and could not get back in to remission again for a 2nd time... so I have the occasional treat but this is always at the back of my mind, as much as I would love to go back to Cadburys chocolate, pizza, pasta, potatoes, cheesecake etc etc etc... - I don't and tbh through time I have found alternatives for most so not too bad - just saying ...

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to go back to Cadburys chocolate, pizza, pasta, potatoes, cheesecake etc

Out of that list of carb laden foods I find only pizza spikes me high enough to remember I'm still diabetic.

In my last moment of weakness, around Christmas, I devoured half the top tray of USA biscuits, like 12 or 15 cookies in one sitting, I was like that Gunter kid in Willy Wonka.
Anyway, my meter hit the heady heights of 6.5mmol/L at the 1 hour, back in the 4s at the 2 hour.
Getting away with **** like that doesn't help my discipline.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, sometimes I am pleasantly surprised too at what I can get away with - at Christmas I have been known to steal a few normal chocolates if they are around and yes I check my BS and its a lot better than what I expected and I sometimes wonder if it kicks my sluggish whatever in to working again - but day to day I stick to my 85% or 90% Lindtt dark chocolate. Tbh I have not even had pasta since being diagnosed so don't know what would happen. A couple of slices of pizza, I get away with but I don't think I could even stomach (now 5 stones lighter) a full one these days as I did regularly before the big D. Again, I have had the occasional potato without much effect and chippie fish & chips once or twice a year (sometimes yes I am defo diabetic and other times again pleasantly surprised) but as I said before it is always at the back of my mind about a couple of people achieving remission once but not a second time so that's what keeps me on the straight and narrow most of the time...and I am too much of a feardy to chance it ...

Edited to add - when we are out for a meal (good old days pre covid) I ask for an extra spoon and have a spoonful of my hubby's cheesecake - too hard for me to resist - again small amount doesn't affect me - my hubby has such a sweet tooth he would never cope with the big D - and yes he has been checked and his BS are fine ...

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of that list of carb laden foods I find only pizza spikes me high enough to remember I'm still diabetic.

In my last moment of weakness, around Christmas, I devoured half the top tray of USA biscuits, like 12 or 15 cookies in one sitting, I was like that Gunter kid in Willy Wonka.
Anyway, my meter hit the heady heights of 6.5mmol/L at the 1 hour, back in the 4s at the 2 hour.
Jee Whiz 15 cookies - that is a lot of cookies - yep you better no visit Willy Wonka ... hehe

Reactions: Ronancastled

Maggie75

I hear you totally, I made salmon fish cakes for dinner yesterday, made with a fair bit of potatoes, tested my BS at 1 hour and it was 9! Just about the highest reading I've had. Tested again at 2 hours and it was still at 8.5 so they're off the menu! Guess I'd got into the mindset that my body was really healing itself with the weight loss and metformin, got a rude awakening that it isn't, still need to watch what I'm eating. Testing again tonight with dinner to see what happens, carbs really are too addictive...

Maggie

Reactions: Ronancastled

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Another carb addictive here. I too worry about carb creep. I know when I am stressed I am more likely to reach for the carbs- much lower now than before- a couple of teaspoons of peanut butter or something else. For me 20 grams of carbs is a high carb day and I try not to have too many of those. I find I crave less when eating less so completely agree with @TeddyTottie .

I also notice that increase my carbs and my weight goes up before my blood sugars so I make sure I keep weighing myself.

LindaManville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Jogging
I too had a craving for fries the other day,
So we went to McDonald's. Had a bunless
Burger then broke down and had some fries.
My blood sugars spiked to 13.2. Oops I don't think
I'll be doing that again. Hang in there, you
Recognise your carb fall. You'll get back on track soon

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

There’s some serious carbs there - puts my fresh cream meringues to shame for sure! I can eat pizza but scampi and tortillas are my nemesis so I tend to avoid them. However it’s difficult to be disciplined when you know you can eat what is perceived as ‘normal foods’ but I make sure that I keep a lot of low carb food and snacks in the cupboard/fridge/freezer and also still substitute where I can or want to. I also tend to have lowish carb breakfasts and lunches so most of my carbs are derived from dinner and, if I have any, snacks.
Have you also thought that your large weight loss could have led to your T2 being reversed?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T
Have you also thought that your large weight loss could have led to your T2 being reversed?

A few things might have worked in my favour.
Morbidly obese (BMI 42) with a low diagnostic level when detected (A1c 52).
Quick intervention dropped my FBG from 7.5 at diagnosis to 5.2 only 3 weeks later when they did the follow up bloods.
That was on the back of a 1st weight loss & commencement of exercise in that period.
If you are an advocate of Prof Taylor you'd believe that I could have passed my PFT in that short time frame.

I know from symptoms, urination, thirst, fatigue, that I'd probably only been pre-d or full d for about 18 months before diagnosis.
About 6 months post intervention I noticed a big improvement in my 2 hour postpriandials.
Finally, around the year mark my 1 hour PPs showed great improvement.
One meal I always remember was a Big Mac with fries where I basically flat lined in the 4s through the whole 2 hours.

About once every 3 months I'll get a bad reading, last one was hitting 9 one hour after a feed of pizza.
Hit 9.9 at the one hour of my 75g OGTT last December too.
But then I look at the CGM profiles of some healthy non-diabetics & wonder if a large porportion of the population do the same anyway, except they are not pricking their fingers.

I've a plan this spring to recommence my weight loss (current BMI 32).
I'll need to enforce low carb, IF & increased exercise to make that happen.
Perhaps that will remove any remaining insulin resistance, perhaps I've already removed my visceral fat so it will make no difference.
Just need to keep on top of this carb creep & I'll have a shot.