1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A question for low carbing ladies..

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Sam1970, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Sam1970

Sam1970 Type 2 · Active Member

I am really struggling today as I am craving carbs like mad....it's that time.... and i'm not sure how to get rid of the cravings without giving in....any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

I used to have a couple of squares of dark chocolate - 70% or higher? I used to drink a lot of water too. If I was really desperate I kicked the husband (we don't have a cat). :)

• Like Like x 5
  3. cold ethyl

cold ethyl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find a couple of squares of dark chocolate ( 85%) helps- I sometimes have a soya latte when out and about and that seems to curb any cravings too. The longer you can deny the cravings, the easier it gets. A piece of cheese and a slice of cooked meat also helps me when I feel like weakening.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kezzer4321

Kezzer4321 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Find something that you really like that's not a carb and pig out a little. For me I would make a tomatoe and cucumber salad with olives and feta cheese covered in olive oil. Or maybe have something naughty like berries and cream that way your head will think your having what you crave...

• Like Like x 4
  5. Sam1970

Thanks.... I thought about the chocolate but tbh i'm not sure I would have the will power to have a couple of squares at the moment. Ended up having full fat cream cheese and cucumber sticks....not quite the chicken and mushroom pastie thats my usual go to....but it did the trick :)

• Like Like x 6
  6. Winifred12345

Winifred12345 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm feeling the same, just had cheese and pickles!

7. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I don't think I get proper carby cravings any more - but generally if I'm getting a migraine, or I'm very tired or hungry, I find a bit of a low carb/fatty treat instead of a carby sugary one can help me, so for example:
    • thick cream with a couple of strawberries
    • low carb "Bounty bars" - I use a microwaved variation of the recipe posted here
    • one piece of 85% cocoa dark chocolate
    • a small almond or hazelnut chocolate cookie
    • and I often just have a spoon full of almond or peanut butter straight from the jar which is a really quick fix!
    There are all sorts of recipes for various treats, low carb fat or nut balls, etc, if you search in our low carb recipes thread, or do a Google search, and these should help too.

Robbity

• Like Like x 2
  8. lizdeluz

lizdeluz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Whipped cream, (whip up 1 tablespoonful), add a spoonful Greek yoghurt, 10 frozen berries, a spoonful of toasted flaked almonds, 10g grated 90% chocolate. Decadent but beats the carb cravings a treat. :)

9. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Coffee with cream
    Berries n cream
    Pork scratchings
    Ham with cream cheese
    Low carb hot choc (cocoa powder, sweetener and cream)

Basically, the ONLY thing that ever gets rid of carb cravings, for me, is eating enough fat.
    And that works like magic!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Sam1970

Oh wow that sounds good! Thank you.

11. Sam1970

Have the pork scratchings ready for tonight... :) must admit Fat does seem to work.... A couple of cubes of cheese did the trick earlier.

• Like Like x 4
  12. lizdeluz

lizdeluz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You're probably unlikely to want to eat a lot of this at once. It's an acquired taste, especially 80%+. I didn't like it at first when I started low-carbing, but now enjoy it, one square with coffee, say, or one square as in the 'recipe' I make for a dessert or a craving-crusher (above). The higher the cocoa content, the lower the carb. It's not sickly like some of the standard versions of dark chocolate either, some of which which tend to have a lower cocoa ratio.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Kezzer4321

Kezzer4321 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@lizdeluz OMG this sounds fabulous - will have to try this out

• Like Like x 2
  14. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Yes the fat should work because you're essentially replacing the carbs you've stopped eating with fat for (at least some of!) your energy source.

As you're seeing you can eat the good for diabetics "tasties" without having to resort to carbohydrates. We have a lady on the forum who has taken low carb baking to great heights!

Robbity

15. modesty007

modesty007 Other · Well-Known Member

For even more healthy chocolate and a bit of coconut oil - melt 100 gram proper dark chocolate 85% or more, mix in 100 - 200 gram coconut oil add a little sweetener if you need. To get bit size pieces, use a spoon for the mix and add to a silicone mould with nice little shapes.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook