A question for the clever and Bernstein officianados

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having had a bit of a sh*tty weekend in Chichester and the excuse to eat a bit of Huss from a southern chippie (can't get Huss any further north of Watford and I'm in Leicester) I was wondering this;

If the body needs to be in a ketotic state in order to burn fat, does a sudden intake of a significant amount of carbs muck the whose process up? Does the body have to figure it all out again? If so, how quickly do you think this may happen?

I have no intention of altering my low-carb success but I have had the occasional intake. I would just like to know how this may impact on weight-loss. I know what it does to my BS!

wiflib

C

catherinecherub

Hi wiflib,
As I am neither clever or a Bernstein officianados, this reply may not count.
I suppose you could say I am a medium carber as I follow the G.I. diet. I have found that if my weight stalls and I eat some "naughties" it seems to kick start the weight loss. I am at my official target for weight so I try not to sin much.
Hope this of some help,
Regards, Catherine.
PS Know Chichester well as I grew up there and lived there until 2003. Is your dad in St. Richard's? Hope he gets well soon.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Catherine, anyones idea or view is helpful to me.
Funnily enough, I see the same pattern. Just when I think I can't loose any more, I notice I drop a few pounds if I eat an occasional goodly portion of carbs. I've not read Bernstein et al but I know those that have may have the scientific bit for this.
Yep, we are all Southerners by birth, Mum and Dad are Londoners. Dad is in St. Richards and from what I can see, a very nice hospital with good staff. One in particular, Rosie, has been very tolerant of me and offered a firm, but comforting arm when I lost it a bit (or a lot, depending on who was looking!)

I'm sending him positive thoughts.

wiflib

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Read somewhere that when we diet the body automatically goes into starvation mode and saves what it can,if we then feed it up occasionally it relaxes and then ,when you go back to dieting it loses a few more pounds before going back into starvation mode again.No idea if this is true but it sounds sensible.

Doczoc

Can't see I could ever be in 'starvation mode' with the foods I'm eating, although I'm finding I want to eat less at each meal! I've lost 12lb in two weeks, eating more fat and drinking more alcohol than I have in years!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
That weight lose will slow down ,Doc,otherwise you would disappear!! :lol: A healthy weight lose is about 2 pounds a week,which then slows down further to 1 pound.Eventually though you stall.

Doczoc

What I don't nderstand is if I'm eating a huge amount of calories, how can I lose weight? Should I turn to calorie counting when I stall?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
In my case, ANY carbs seem to switch off the weight loss. I can't relax at all and still lose weight. I've been stalled for months and can't seem to get any pounds moving at all. I eat pretty much NO visible carbs and after a year of success, It's stopped working.
I am of course keeping BG on target, so I'm reluctant to try any other weight loss programme, because I don't want to let the BG control loosen.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This stalling for weeks has been pretty much a regular thing for me. Now, I'm still many stones overweight so I'm guessing that I still have more that will come off. What I've noticed is this pattern;

Loose some weight. Stay at that weight for 4-6 weeks. Put two pounds on. Stay there for a week. Eat one bad carb portion. Loose 8lbs 3 days later. The cycle then repeats. Weighed on the same machine, in the same clothes, as I don't have a choice any more.

This started when the initial huge weight-loss went and I started to become a more 'normal' shape and weight. I don't understand it but I want to. I still have stinky pee from the ketosis but I don't understand it and I want to.
I don't care about aesthetics, all I care about is my control of my diabetes and I know that weight loss is a very important part of this.

Hana, have you done a bit of an experiment to see if eating more will drop your weight? Or a bit of carb? has anyone else noticed this?

wiflib

Trinkwasser

sugarless sue said:
Read somewhere that when we diet the body automatically goes into starvation mode and saves what it can,if we then feed it up occasionally it relaxes and then ,when you go back to dieting it loses a few more pounds before going back into starvation mode again.No idea if this is true but it sounds sensible.

That's not uncommon - but like everything else it doesn't work for everyone.

sixfoot

Wiflib, im in exactly the same boat ( but luckly were not on the same side :) )I am on Byetta and lo carb. For the best part of 2months now have been static at around 17st 7lb with a pound up or down. 2 days ago i dropped 2lb , the only reason i can put it to is that i made a hearty stew with lentils, swede and turnip etc . But it seems to stay off and almost never feel hungry or tired strangley because before i started lo carb i was in the habit of taking a nap when the chance came along.

I think unless you know otherwise just go with it

Dave P

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's all very odd Dave.
I have no intentions of ever reverting back to my previous carb-addicted lifestyle, for one thing, it was bloomin' expensive!

I sat down this morning to bacon, eggs and a slice of low-carb bread, got halfway through and had to leave it. Polished of the rest of a pot of tea though. I'm going to a friends for a girlie film night tonight to distract me form my poorly Dad and she is making me a low-carb dinner, I'm providing the low-carb brownies. Which, incidentally, taste fantastic and were very easy to make. AND I didn't crave the whole lot, just had one piece yesterday.

wiflib