A question for those pumping

CambridgeLass

Hi. I am looking at pumps for my 7yo girl as we have to make a decision. Can I ask why you chose the pump you have and if you would still choose it again. :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, got the accu chek combo, basically I said to the dsn id like one that has the most flexibility with basal rates, as that was what I had a problem controlling. Its a very good pump, with easy to use menus.
Have been wondering about the omnipod once I'm due for renewel as its tubless. Not 100% but think you have to have the hand held thingy to do anything with the pump, and not sure on the basal functions of it. With the accu chek combo you are able to do all functions on the metre or the pump. Only thing pump does not due is test levels.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

simking

I got my medtronic pump (minimed) on 9/12/13 so I havnt had it long, but like it as it's not too technical for my lazy brain to use, it's small and I got to pick the colour I wanted. There are so many different pumps but I wanted a pump that the hosp were also used to dealing with. I didn't want to change my accu chek meter but the contour next meter sends my bg levels straight to pump which is handy but I don't like using the test strips as they are the ones u insert in the meter (abit dated for me). But although it's early days, my levels hav been the best I've had since diagnosis in 1997, I'd definately recommend it.

Reactions: 3 people

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can I suggest that you have a look on YouTube - there are some really good videos on there made by people (although mainly American!) that use a pump. I found this really useful when I was thinking about a pump.

Good luck xx

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everyone will tell you their pump is great and the best - as we tend to keep them for 4 yrs you get "attached" (sad joke). Best to decide what you need from a pump then ask those specific questions if not answered already by the pump manufacturers. Hope this helps, its a big change but in my opinion if you have the option its the best way forwards.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got the DANA Diabecare R insulin pump.

Originally I wanted the omnipod as I was worried about the tubing however my PCT wouldn't fund the omnipod.

I choose this pump as it was one of the smaller ones so I could hide it more easily. It also has a choice of colours and you can control it on the pump or the blood tester. I've found the company to be helpful and am very happy with my pump. I've also not had problems with the tubing so I had nothing to worry about after all!

You can try out the functions if this pump online if you just type the name in google and look on advanced therapeutics website. Then click on 'virtual pump'.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
As Chas C said, everyone will say their pump is great. The DSN at Kings showed me the pumps that I could choose from and sent me away with all the canulas and insertion devices, to help me make a choice, which was really helpful in my case. But after trying them I went for the Animas vibe, I've only been pumping since Nov, but the drop in my blood sugar levels has been outstanding. And my overall control has vastly improved Oct 13 it was 8.3% Dec it was 7.9% and Jan 14 it's dropped to 7.6%.I wish I could have had a pump sooner. But now I have one I would not give it up.

LaughingHyena

I opted for the animas vibe and so far (4 months in) have been quite happy with it. Some of the menu options take a bit of getting used to but the ones I use daily are fine.

I wanted to have all the functions on the pump itself, that was I can continue to keep a meter in the car/handbag/bedside table etc. and juts use whichever is closest. I didn't think keeping track of one remote/meter was going to work for me. I do like the idea of a remote for times when the pump is hidden in clothing but it spends 95% of it's time in my pocket anyway.

I also liked the fact the vibe is waterproof. I can't say I would actually swim in in but I do a lot of outdoor stuff and have killed a meter that was in my (not so waterproof) coat pocket in a downpour.

Not so important, but I also liked the colour options and the look & feel of the vibe over the others I looked at. My DSN had some demo ones which I got to play with before making the choice.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I was just given the Medtronic Minimed over 2 years ago. In this time I have been totally satisfied with the pump. Once real consideration for me, and still would be, is the ease of filling the cannula and the whole 'set change' thing as I think the pump screens etc would be something most people could pick up (the Medtronic pump is very easy and all that needs changing regularly on it are the basal rates and holiday/annual hour changes. The other settings were all set-up with DSN , but the manual is very clear too if you needed to go back to anything e.g. to change the insulin sensitivity time).
Going back to the set change, once I had got used to the method, I have not had a single day's problem with cannula blockages, kinking, no delivery alerts or bubbles in the reservoir. In 2 years I think that this is excellent and it gives me a lot of reassurance in my little pump. I use the Silouhette sets with the pump but it's what sets suits the individual the best as you'll find out.

iHs

Does anyone know for home insurance purposes what the value of the Animas Vibe is please as Ive got to renew mine today and will be getting the Vibe in the summer

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone know for home insurance purposes what the value of the Animas Vibe is please as Ive got to renew mine today and will be getting the Vibe in the summer

It's 3400 ish ihs you will get a letter of ownership and all when you get the pump

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been told to insure my vibe for 3k.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
IHS, when I insured mine with insurance4pumps, they automatically insured it for £3k, as when I enquired via my home insurance, I got told I'd have to pay my excess and then an assessor would say if they would replace it, which could of taken weeks, plus I was told that it was only insured while at home. Is this the norm?
With home insurance 4 pumps.